Thread: Working for NOVA/GEOS and VISA concerns

Default Working for NOVA/GEOS and VISA concerns

So after talking to someone on the official JET forums I decided to apply for the new NOVA which is now under the management of Jibun Mirai Kyoiku and Parent company of ex Geducation Nova/Geos. My impression is that the company is really trying to make up for their previous bad reputation and is now a pretty decent place to work for. However, I can't find any information of experiences teaching for NOVA in the past 3 years. No blogs, nothing on forums... not anything! And since the school is under so many different names it makes it even harder. Does anyone know anything about teaching for them?

I also have a VISA concern - I got offered the job after an hour long Skype video chat interview. However, when they sent me the contract it said my placement would not be made until after the VISA has gone through. This makes me nervous because I once got a VISA to teach in Korea but could not go last minute because of family related issues. When I applied for another VISA a few months later they refused to issue it to me because they didn't want me to not show up again. If I am not going to be teaching for JET I would really like to know where I am going before I take the job. I am worried that after they place me I won't want to go and if something better comes up I will not be able to get another VISA. Any advice?

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Default Re: Working for NOVA/GEOS and VISA concerns

Get the visa take the job, if something sucks/better comes up drop what you're doing and move shop.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Don't know anything about the new Nova, but I agree with the above post about your visa question. Take the job, get the visa and come over. It's a whole new country - as long as you're open-minded, you ought to have an awesome experience no matter where you go. If you really don't like the job or the placement, you can quit, move to a big city, and you should be able to find a new job in the same field (probably at a mom and pop place) relatively easily, since you already have the visa. Of course, it takes a bit of cash to do that while you float between jobs so, if you don't have parents willing to bankroll you, start building your war chest now.

i don't remember the exact order of operations with getting a visa and my placement info but they (aeon) waited til the very last minute to get me that visa and made me very nervous. i think they at least told me they would be able to place me in the general tokyo area though.

this seems like a reasonable request w/ nova to me. i could understand they might not know an exact location but no clue at all? i think eikaiwa are more urban or at least in cities, so your chances of winding up somewhere like that are still good. do you have a particular area you are looking to be in, or avoid?

i know a guy working at the new geos, so under the same parent company i believe. seems like it is getting worse in terms of what you do for what you are paid, but that has been the case since I went in 2004 and people were saying it had been getting worse for years then so... what the hell if you want to go, do it. it sounds very much like the same kind of bullshit it always has been, so if you are prepared to deal with that, you should be good to go.

i was always a bit skeptical of people online saying you could come over, quit, keep the visa, and get another job, but it is true, the visa is entirely yours. obviously if you show up, quit, and are looking for another job within a month, this might not make the greatest impression on the new place you'd be applying to, but after even 6 months and certainly a year i think you would be able to if you wanted.

What name is the new NOVA under? I haven't heard anything about a new company.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

its still called NOVA the parent company is what changed.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

OP, how long did it take them to offer you the job after the interview? I've been waiting eight days now and have heard nothing as yet.