Thread: Clicking stove :/

Default Clicking stove :/

Okay, so today is the first day in my apartment, and I'm trying to use my stove.

First off, my pred didn't leave me any instructions on how anything in the apartment works, so I'm sort of running on trial and error here.

My stove, which is gas (maybe propane?), when lit makes a clicking sound and there's a funky smell coming from it, even after I turned it off. Should I be concerned, or is that something to do with the way stovetops work in Japan? I'm no stranger to using a gas stove to cook on in America, but my American stove is super different and I've never heard it click or make a smell.

I have my windows open, just in case, but I don't know if this really big deal or not. Help?

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    When it's making the click, it's releasing gas. When you turn it on, you should turn the knob all the way to the one side (where you hear clicking) and then turn it down just a little bit once the flame is ignited so excess gas is no longer being released. The smell is the residual gas. The longer the clicking lasts, the more gas you're releasing. Only a problem if you let a lot of gas build up in the apartment and then light a flame.

Words cannot express how awesome you are. Did what you said and there's no clicking or smell anymore, so yay, I can make dinner now <3

Default Re: Clicking stove :/

The first time I had a gas stove (in the US) one of the pilot lights went out and I left it unlit for a while, thinking it was harmless. Meanwhile I was wondering why my apartment was starting to smell like gas. When I finally put two and two together and re-lit the pilot light, I realized I had been subtly poisoning myself.

My gas stove here in Japan only has one working burner, so now I have to figure out how to use the mysterious camp stove I found in the cabinet...

My predecessor also left no instructions, so I have no idea how to use my rice cooker or microwave. I've managed to work out how to get 1 minute on the microwave...the rest is a mystery. Wish I bought that damn kanji book at TO

Thankfully the gas guy showed me how to use my stove otherwise I'd be surviving off of pudding cups.
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    My predecessor also left no instructions, so I have no idea how to use my rice cooker or microwave. I've managed to work out how to get 1 minute on the microwave...the rest is a mystery. Wish I bought that damn kanji book at TO

Thankfully the gas guy showed me how to use my stove otherwise I'd be surviving off of pudding cups.
    Rice cooker - rice from the supermarket, can wash it through if you want, then put in rice cooker bowl with water covering over top of rice (not too much rice now!). Close and just press the big red button (usually furthest right) - other buttons are usually for keeping the rice for an extended period of time etc.

The microwave should have a 1 minute button and a 10 minute button - keep pressing it and it should rack up the minutes. Not knowing the model though, it's hard to know what/where the problem is. Remember that here microwaves are often combined with ovens and grills into one machine.

But all the buttonnnssss. Hahah I'm just worried about setting the house on fire. Had to unearth the actual rice bowl from amongst the jumble in the cupboards.
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

Yes, trying to operate the rice cooker should be fun. Having only one element also sucks balls.

random google image rice cooker but they're all pretty much the same start button wise:

Even if it's not red (though usually they are a different color than the other buttons) you should find a button with those kanji on it. It'll be a red light when you start it, when it's ready it will turn orange/some other color. Just remember the 1:1 ratio for water and rice.

Microwaves are harder to figure out at times but you should have a レンジ button to put it in microwave mode. Typically from there you can add minutes in 1 minute chunks 1分 until 9, ten minute chunks10分 (so one of these and 5 of the 1min to get to 15) and also in 10 second bits 10秒 Usually if you hit the レンジ more than once you can switch between stronger (強) and weaker (弱)modes. Unfortunately EMID so if you don't have individual time buttons so you just have to use the up arrow/turn a dial to add time. If you need to know the watts there should be a sticker on the side somewhere with 500/600/something written in the sea of moon language.

The plethora of other setting buttons (for toast/pizza/etc.etc.) make it harder to figure out but if you keep having problems just up a picture here and maybe someone can make sense out of it.
    Last edited by Page; August 9th, 2011 at 10:53.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Hey, that's the rice cooker I have!

The メニュー button switches rice cooking modes. Probably the only ones you'll care about are the default normal rice cooking mode (白米, default option) and quick cook (早焼き, the second option). The quick cook is good for when you forget to start the rice early enough.

I tried operating my rice cooker today - epic fail. I didn't realize there was a pan to put the rice in, and instead put the rice and water directly in. Water dripped out of everywhere. including the electrical outlet

I may end up buying a new rice cooker

Also - I think this should be the "How does JapanLand work?" thread. I'm sure Cytrix and I aren't the only ones who's preds didn't leave them any instructions on how stuff works.

Like, I found out today that I have to buy special bags for my burnable garbage. This was after like, asking 10 times on where do I throw my garbage. Still don't know where I throw my garbage out...or if yogurt is a PET product or not.

On the bright side. My microwave is a dial microwave, so I just turn a nob, like my old one at home, to the time I want it to cook for.

Trying to figure out my hot water next. I have no clue what the red button does, but if I push it, a female voice yells out ONSEN! multiple times at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I tried operating my rice cooker today - epic fail. I didn't realize there was a pan to put the rice in, and instead put the rice and water directly in. Water dripped out of everywhere. including the electrical outlet

I may end up buying a new rice cooker

Also - I think this should be the "How does JapanLand work?" thread. I'm sure Cytrix and I aren't the only ones who's preds didn't leave them any instructions on how stuff works.

Like, I found out today that I have to buy special bags for my burnable garbage. This was after like, asking 10 times on where do I throw my garbage. Still don't know where I throw my garbage out...or if yogurt is a PET product or not.

On the bright side. My microwave is a dial microwave, so I just turn a nob, like my old one at home, to the time I want it to cook for.

Trying to figure out my hot water next. I have no clue what the red button does, but if I push it, a female voice yells out ONSEN! multiple times at me.
    In my school there's a notebook with a giant list of garbage classifications. If you can find one of those, you can look up everything from yogurt container to dead mukade.

The female voice is telling you that you are silly for wanting hot water and that you should just go to an onsen instead.

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

I am having the same issue with garbage and I even have a guide in English.

As far as where to throw your garbage away - I just kinda looked around to see where everyone else threw theirs in the morning. Your mileage may vary with this technique because I live in an apartment complex, and not a house.

As for whether or not something is a PET container or not - look on the side or the bottom. If it is pet, you will see a triangle made of arrows with a number on the inside of it, and then beneath that it will say PET. Kind of like the recycling things on US containers. I dont think yogurt is a PET container though, probably just goes into the regular non-burnables trash.

Edit: Also a note on the quick cook option - all this does is remove the 15 or so minutes that your rice cooker lets your rice soak in the water. It doesnt really change the actual cooking process.
    Last edited by Sumaragi; August 11th, 2011 at 09:35.

This might be a good idea. Someone [*cough* IndustriousAnt *cough*] will probably show up spamming his/her relevant blog soon enough.

Honestly, the reason nobody mentioned this to you is probably because it's become second-nature. For Japanese people, they've been doing it their whole lives; it would never occur to them that someone wouldn't know that they needed to buy special bags for their trash. For ALTs, we've all been here a year or more, and sometimes fail to mention the most obvious shit. That's like the rice cooker thing; nobody would ever think to tell you that you need to put the bowl in the rice cooker, because we've forgotten that some people may have never used a rice cooker before (this is weird to me, anyway; I had one in the 'States).

Not to worry. You'll get plenty insultingly obvious tips at the prefectural orientation conference-thing, if you haven't already been. Some of them will be useful and you'll be glad to hear it. Some of it will make you want to strangle the presenter with their own lower intestine.

Keep in mind that a month or two from now, all this stuff; the trash, the rice cooker, everything... it will all seem second-nature, and you'll look back on your first couple of weeks here and LOL at yourself.

*knob

Hahaha Just get a neighbor to show you how to use it. Water heaters are ridiculously complex here in Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Argh. While attempting to use my rice cooker (which I think may be working), I appear to have broken the fridge. Lights are on but it has stopped making fridgy noises... Sigh.

I say this in complete honesty: everything in my apartment works right if I do NOTHING but touch the red buttons. There are a hundred other buttons but all they do is mess with me.

When in doubt, push the red button.
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

Turns out the fridge is fine and the rice cooker worked like a charm. Red buttons only from now on!