Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: applying for interac [etc] and not even bothering with JET?

Quote Originally Posted by kurisu View Post
    The vacation is not much different, we still have the winter vacations, summer vacations, spring vacations, unlimited amounts of necessary sick days if we are really sick on top of the great, free insurance, 21 days nenkyuu a year, and a lot of those get applied as half days to what are scheduled as "full days" so you actually only use partial.

What are these magical more than double vacation times you are talking about?

I normally only hear the bitter Interac people that are trying to make it sound comparable to JET after they didn't get in come up with this stuff.
    so you DONT have to sit in the b.o.e for most of August? because that's about 80% of the difference not to mention random days off when the schools has tests or some such .. last year that added up to about 12 days on top of regular holiday. Look im all for being paid more but if you think Jet has the same amount of holidays as the average Interac position you don't know what your talking about.
    How are you? Yes yes!

Default Re: applying for interac (etc) and not even bothering with JET?

The government health insurance and pension is far more valuable than having the summer off.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Interac offers pension services (most just don't plan on staying with them that long I suppose?) and I have National health insurance. I don't know what the difference between the that and the government one is, but for me National is definitely enough ( way better than what I had in the States and Korea).

I heard from my JET friend that they don't have most of August off. I have about 50 days (consecutive) off in the summer. Also, and I consider myself very lucky for this, I have a least a week off a month for school testing. But I think this is a very singular case. I was just referring to the summer vacation when I mentioned more vacation days. And of course my JET friends' case could be singular as well...

Somewhere... maybe... I think I'm lost... anyone got a map?

Quote Originally Posted by DandeLion View Post
    Interac offers pension services (most just don't plan on staying with them that long I suppose?) and I have National health insurance. I don't know what the difference between the that and the government one is, but for me National is definitely enough ( way better than what I had in the States and Korea).
    Pension is really the only difference between Shakai and Kokumin. There is a clause about death and giving birth that is different in coverage but everything else is the exact same to the ten-ten. Most ALTs never stay in Japan long enough to collect full pension. I've met a few people who had to fight to get a fraction of the pension they paid back. Think of it similar to plans in the USA or Europe, if you draw out early don't expect a full payout.
    "I wonder how much effort is requires for a person to become happy. I think misfortune is a spiral. Once it starts it's hard to escape. In order to escape it takes everything you have to reach the end. Once you've given everything you can finally grasp it. I think that's what happiness means." Rena Ryuuguu

Quote Originally Posted by Laevatienn View Post
    Pension is really the only difference between Shakai and Kokumin. There is a clause about death and giving birth that is different in coverage but everything else is the exact same to the ten-ten. Most ALTs never stay in Japan long enough to collect full pension. I've met a few people who had to fight to get a fraction of the pension they paid back. Think of it similar to plans in the USA or Europe, if you draw out early don't expect a full payout.
    Shakai hoken is the national insurance when you have been employed in the previous year in Japan. Meaning you are about to work your second year

Kokumin hoken is unemployed national insurance meaning you might be employed now but were not the previous year.