Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK applicants - questions!

Acceptance rate is 10-15%.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; September 27th, 2011 at 23:04.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Default Re: UK applicants - questions!

I`ve heard higher than that. More like 20-30%.
    It varies heavily by region though; look at how many Jets Ireland has compared to the UK for instance despite the entire island having a tenth as many people.

Is Jet competitive...well depends how you define competitive. There is some competition of course but I certainly wouldn`t call it particularly competitive compared to most jobs, even with 10% odds.

And of course this is all rather pointless stuff, just aim to be the best you can be, it shouldn`t matter if the chances are 1% or 99%, the application process doesn`t take that huge a slab out of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_doitsu View Post
    I'm tired of your lack of avatar.

But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
    We applied before all that.
    And I haven't seen any numbers from last year, only past years.
    Of course you did, but once you apply, you can also reject offers and pull out (thats what she said). Which is exactly what loads of people did. Which is why they had to use a lot of the people from the alt list.

Uthinkie, love it. Will use it.

Default Re: UK applicants - questions!

Keeps saying upload of file failed. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by miss_doitsu View Post
    Keeps saying upload of file failed. :-/
    Size is probably off. I'll resize when I'm on my comp.

U da real mvp.

Try it now. If this doesn't work I have no idea why.

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage_and_Hairspray View Post
    I know I've mentioned my tattoos before, and my worry that they might prohibit me getting a placement, but I have an idea I'd like to run by you.

I've spoken to a JET coordinator at the embassy about my tattoos and they recommended that I make note of them during my application. Would it therefore be acceptable, in the interests of full disclosure, to include a small additional statement specifically to do with my tattoos (with pictures)? I can note my understanding of Japanese tattoo history, and my understanding of how they're commonly viewed in Japanese society.
    Hey Rage, i was freaking out about my Tattoos last year (not that it mattered because I didnt get accepted !), but I am less concerned about them this year, I have both my arms sleeved, bottom right leg sleeved as well as designs on my chest, back, and the length of my torso. . . and the majority of them are a mix between chinese and japanese esq designs (although I created the majority of the designs myself).

I emailed JET about it and this is what they said to me last year...

Thank you for your e-mail and further information regarding your tattoos. Tattoos do have negative connotations within Japanese society, therefore if you were selected for the JET Programme you would be expected to keep these covered at all times both during and outside of work. It may also be difficult to find a contracting organisation in Japan who would be happy to employ you with you tattoos, although we have had varying experiences of this in the past. These issues would be discussed should you be called to interview.

Please note that this issue will not affect your application to the JET Programme at this stage, but would be assessed by interviewers should you be called in for interview.

Kind regards,

Personally Im going to wait to see if I get an interview before I mention it and unless its a subject raised before hand Im going to mention it at the end, this I feel could kind of decrease the impact, particularly if I can come across as a strong applicant before its mentioned.

If i was you i wouldnt go mentioning it before you really need to.

Plus, like everyone else has said, if you can keep it covered up with your clothing it should be fine. . .
    Last edited by VonD; October 2nd, 2011 at 10:24.
    Von D

Musician . . . ? Me . . . ? Well actually yes, yes I am www.soundcloud.com/Lkv