Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you choose what part of the country suited you?

Default How did you choose what part of the country suited you?

How did you choose what part of the country suited you? in relation to area preferences. i dont really mind where i go as long as it either rural or a city, id go mad if i had to live in the suburbs. unfortunately im guessing that's where most teachers are needed though?

I don't think they release numbers, but my impression is that fewer teachers are placed in city centers compared to rural or suburban locations. But I wouldn't worry about what to choose because generally JET doesn't place you in your requests.

Default Re: How did you choose what part of the country suited you?

Why are suburbs bad and cities good for you?

Mentally prepare yourself to be placed in a town of 2000 where you're the only foreigner for 100km. If you get something better, then you can be excited. Low expectations!
    That's the best thing I ever saw!

I agree with athiest, strange preferences, whats wrong with the suburbs that isn`t wrong with the country/city?

I would say though if you ask for rural then you probally will get froren`s mentioned wee village in the mountains. Everyone I`ve spoken to who made a point of asking for somewhere rural (only 3 people but...still) really got it.

How to chose is just personal preference. I went based on wanting somewhere reasonably central in the country and where I stood a chance of actually being placed.

I requested warm places down south. I was placed more in the middle, much further north than any of my requests. I requested rural. I got it. Though I regularly make fun of my inaka-ness, I actually really like it. I still sometimes wish I'd been put somewhere warmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I received my top request.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Tohoku chose me.

I asked for places with pretty scenery and a good climate, preferably near shinkansens so I could travel easy. I think things worked out pretty well

I asked for several very specific places and got put somewhere much cooler with the absolutely best prefecture for JET communities. Don't worry about it, you'll either like where you get placed regardless, or you'll whine and quit after a year.
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

I lived in a cold, barren, freezing wasteland in the US and hate snow so I requested Kyushu, Kyushu, and as far south in Honshu as possible. I also wanted access to a gym, possible Japanese conversation/classes, and am terrified of mukade so I requested suburban.

I got a suburban placement in Kyushu (not the prefectures I requested, but one that borders them, has awesome people, and is just fine imo) with an excellent gym just a 10 minute bike ride away. The only way I could possibly be happier is if my rent wasn't so expensive compared to the other ALTs in the area and my neighbors weren't stupid noisy. .
    Last edited by Milanna; September 28th, 2011 at 23:04.
    I have seen the life on this planet, Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Milanna View Post
    I also wanted access to a gym

with an excellent gym just a 10 minute bike ride away.
    Did you specifically request a placement in a prefecture with a high concentration of gyms or something? That right there sounds like a great place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by barca View Post
    Did you specifically request a placement in a prefecture with a high concentration of gyms or something? That right there sounds like a great place to be.
    Hahaha, no. I didn't think being that picky would result in much. But I figured if I was lucky enough to get suburban then a gym (or at least a city with one) couldn't be too far off. You can get along fine without them in the inaka as far as I hear as there should be plenty of wide open space for walking and jogging, but I really love group classes so I'm happy to have several options nearby (going kickboxing this weekend)!
    Last edited by Milanna; September 28th, 2011 at 23:35.
    I have seen the life on this planet, Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.

I requested areas in the middle to northern sections of the country as well as areas I had been to before (the farthest being Sendai). I live in a pretty temperate climate so I wasn't too keen on requesting a southern town or city based on what I've heard from others about how hot it can get in those areas. My preferences were mostly in suburbs.
    Last edited by Sirrus; September 29th, 2011 at 00:44.

I didn't put down any preferences because I didn't really care where I was placed (I like to pretend that I'm a flexible human being when I'm really not). Luckily I ended up in what is pretty much the most awesome placement ever, for a number of very awesome reasons.

Just go with it.

i asked for osaka or nagoya and got neither. b*tches.
    Last edited by lilyanphino; September 30th, 2011 at 16:36. Reason: Language

Cities rule.
    if you want proof, try math or alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by Electrolite View Post
    i asked for osaka or nagoya and got neither. b*tches.
    If you'd done your research you'd find Nagoya has no Jets.
    It was going to be my first choice for a while until that nugget was revealed.

Not sure whether to start a new thread for this, don't want to get jumped on what with being a newbie 'n' all. I'd like to take the question and switch it around a bit, if I may:

Where would you recommend for me?

I recently visited Japan, and traveled to Tokyo, Yokohama, Fuji, Hakuba and Kyoto. I thoroughly enjoyed Nagano-ken and the area around Kawaguchiko, as they had the rural/suburb feel that I go for. I know JETs don't often get placed in the big cities, but I would prefer somewhere not super inaka if at all possible.

From talking with some friends and former JETs, Kyushu and Gunma have been recommended to me, would you say these places are fair bets?
    Last edited by Rage_and_Hairspray; October 4th, 2011 at 22:11.

would anyone have any recommendations for a particularly amazing city/prefecture?
    I probably post things that interest you
    nihonomnom | JET Program tales from Kobe-shi \(^ω^\)└(★o★)┐(〜^∇^)〜

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science