Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: How did you choose what part of the country suited you?

Default Re: How did you choose what part of the country suited you?

Right now I'm struggling with the question on the app that asks if we would be comfortable driving in Japan. On the one hand, I'm worried that saying no will limit my chances of placement. Really, I would rather bike/walk/public transport anywhere I need to go. I have a car here, but walking/biking/etc is still how I prefer to get around when I can. Does anyone have any opinions/insights on this matter?

Anyone know if theres a list out there that has the towns, etc of where ALTs are placed? Something a little bit more detailed than a prefecture listing?

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingTheSun View Post
    Right now I'm struggling with the question on the app that asks if we would be comfortable driving in Japan. On the one hand, I'm worried that saying no will limit my chances of placement. Really, I would rather bike/walk/public transport anywhere I need to go. I have a car here, but walking/biking/etc is still how I prefer to get around when I can. Does anyone have any opinions/insights on this matter?
    This ^^
    I can drive but dont really want to!

As has been said a hundred times before, outside maybe 5 or 6 cities that you're unlikely to get placed in, Japan is a very car-orientated country and it's the dominant form of transport in 90% of the places Jets get sent to. The majority of us have cars, not a minority of the most isolated.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

In my area of the prefecture I am the only ALT w/o a car. I really should have one but I manage without. Most of my prefecture is car oriented, which I understand is the norm.

Remember folks, you're not being brought over to teach in Tokyo, you are being brought over to teach in the places that most normal people don't wanna go to. Big cities already have plenty of foreigners living in them to do these jobs. Where do you think washed out JETs go after they realize they won't have a job when they go home?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I want to drive, so that's not my problem. I think I'd go crazy living somewhere rural without a car. I'm more concerned about ending up somewhere that stays above freezing indoors during the winter.

I was thinking about putting Shiga (for the whole sister state thing), Shizuoka, and maybe Okayama or Ishikawa. If there's anyone here from any of those prefectures, want to weigh in on the winter and bug situations?

Well, I lived in Shiga for two months in the summer (and all of Japan has snow in Winter except Okinawa, for the most part. Shikoku and Kyushu generally don't have snow, either, but it does get fairly cold in the winter, and it can snow there. Hokkaido's winter is particularly snowy, on the other hand) and the bug situation was god awful and the size of your head, but you'll get that in most places in Japan. Shiga's main advantage is the proximity to the Kyoto-Osaka-Kobe metropolitan area.

Also, if you end up in Shiga,you'll end up learning this because that's pretty much everyone's favorite thing in Shiga.

I put in for all southern regions, and was placed much farther north than anything I requested. I wouldn't stress about your placement requests too much.

People in Hokkaido claim to actually have pretty warm houses. In the middle of Japan, it doesn't get quite as cold, but the houses are uninsulated and drafty as hell, so they feel a lot worse in the winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I'm not really stressing, just considering. I know I probably won't get any of them, but there's no point in leaving it blank, either. I'd rather do Inaka or Suburbs, and would prefer forests or other vegetation to industrial parks. I'm from Michigan, so snow isn't really an issue so much as sleeping with near-freezing temps. I'm prone to bronchitis. The horror stories of various things freezing in people's houses makes me want to avoid places where that's a possibility. My lungs will thank me.

(Also--I know bugs are a nightmare everywhere, but some little part of me holds out hope that there's a magical prefecture where the insects don't look like they crawled out of a B horror movie.)
    Last edited by peanut; October 29th, 2012 at 16:04.

If you get sent to Hokkaido, you'll be given a stove before the winter begins, if it's not already there from your pred. The stove is veeeeeeeeery nice and heats up the house accordingly. However, though electricity is rather cheap up here, the price for filling up your gas tank evens everything out - a whopping 2man per every refill. People apparently pay around 10man every year?

Your house will stay warm - so no worries about bronchitis. Hokkaido's houses are normally built stronger, and if you have the outer genkan as well, your house will maintain a temp about 5 degrees Celsius higher than the outside temp. Perhaps that's not much, but it's pretty significant when you're coming in from the cold.

Not many bugs up here, either. We have our giant spider buddies...but otherwise, nah, not too many bugs. Best part? Like 6-7 months of the year, the bugs are all dead or hibernating.
    いいみで

I'm still debating between suburban and city request. While I'm pretty much happy with whatever I end up getting, I just can't decide which I'd prefer to ask for..

If the general cost of living in inaka is, let's say (just for a figure), £500/month, how much more is suburbs / city likely to be to be? Is it even possible to estimate, or is it too ESID? Because I'd rather be a few hours from a city, if it's going to mean saving a considerable amount of cash.
    I know I have potentially very little input on where I get placed, but better to say one or the other than nothing.

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

I'd say go for a city or suburban request. Generally, living costs won't be too much for your income even in a good sized city. You won't be put in central Tokyo or anything. Some of my friends in the inaka pay a ton of money to get to the city which makes the rent they "save" a moot point.

Edit: My rent is 41000 a month and I'm suburbs/city. I have friends with 60000-70000 yen a month rent in the city.
    Last edited by lilyanphino; October 29th, 2012 at 19:33.

Yeah, my rent is 16100 and I'm in the suburbs/city. No key money and I haven't needed a car at all. I got really lucky because I had no idea what I was doing when I made placement requests. Didn't get a one of 'em, but I love my city.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

Yeah, only request rural if you really want it. I did, so I did, and I got it. I'm actually really happy here, but it's not for everyone.

There are people in the city nearest me who think they're in the inaka. It's kinda LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

My three prefecture choices:
    1, Tottori
    2, Nagano
    3, Nara

Likelihood of getting any of them?
    I've requested semi urban too

I've gone by the recommendations on here and put Otsu as my first choice.
    I'll definitely go for suburbs then. I'm used to suburbs, but like to be within a few hours of a city.
    Thanks for the advice! I am intrigued by inaka, and I don't think I'd resent it if placed there, but as you can't change location.. I think suburbs is a safe request.
    Have any if you taken a long weekend or a week off, to try out surfing? I've never been before, and think it'd be pretty cool to do that in Japan while/if I'm there. Compared to England, the surf down south must be good.

Quote Originally Posted by MJjunkie86 View Post
    My three prefecture choices:
    1, Tottori
    2, Nagano
    3, Nara

Likelihood of getting any of them?
    I've requested semi urban too
    No one really requests Tottori, so you should be fine. I quite like it, and it's not that difficult to get to the Kansai area on occasion.

Any placement can be the best if you're the kind of person who can roll with the punches and make it a good experience for yourself. That's why you have a lot of people saying "do this" or "request here because it's the best guys!!11!!" because they aren't window lickers who wait around for fun to happen.

Living costs are gonna be luck of the draw as it really varies from BOE to BOE. My inaka "city" pays our rent completely. And you really don't need to go to the city all the time unless that's your thing, imo. I went every weekend when I first arrived but now that I've lived here a while I only go when I have to (meetings).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Good advice Page. (And great and creepy avi you have!)

LOL Coop I think I must have seen your post somewhere in this thread suggesting Tottori as I just noticed you live there! Sand dunes FTW!
    Whats the chance of me being placed in Tottori, the capital, if I request that?

Dunno, it really depends on how many people leave this year. Generally Tottori prefecture has a high rate of recontracting; we only got 20ish new folks in the prefecture this past year. I do know several people (including myself) will be leaving after this year. Just give it a try and see what happens.