Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: References

Default References

Hey guys, I have two good referees from when I did my degree but I did a CELTA course earlier this year and had a very good relationship with one of the two tutors who critiqued my teaching. He was also the course leader. It was a 4 week intensive course. I think he would give me the best reference and it would be more relevant. The only problem is I only knew him for 4 weeks, though we have kept in touch since. I also wonder whether it would actually be classified as an "academic reference" as requested. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Default Re: References

I would think that this would qualify as an academic reference, however I would certainly keep the time you've known him/her close to the chest.

You need to realize that there aren't a series of hard-nosed guidelines about this sort of stuff... you get to make up a lot of it as you go along. Thus, if you think it's an academic reference and feel confident saying so, just do it. JET is not as rocket-science specific and particular as people think, just go with your gut and double/triple check everything you do just in case.
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

I personally think it's better to use people that have known you a long time. Both of my references had known me for 4+ years. Someone who has worked with/taught you that long and can still go on for two pages about your awesomeness is a winner in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Sorry for Hijacking this thread but rather that than make a new one. I just got one of my references back but my referee didn't seal them in an envelope but he provided an envelope. should I just put them in and seal it myself? I don't see anything wrong with this but perhaps I've missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by Murasaki Ookami View Post
    Sorry for Hijacking this thread but rather that than make a new one. I just got one of my references back but my referee didn't seal them in an envelope but he provided an envelope. should I just put them in and seal it myself? I don't see anything wrong with this but perhaps I've missed something.
    Unless it's different in other countries, the envelope has to be sealed, then signed over the seal. If I understand correctly, he gave you the reference and separately gave you an envelope? Even if he signed the envelope over the seal but didn't seal it, it'd not be lined up correctly if you put the reference in, then sealed it.

I thought I'd read something like this here before but couldn't find it again. I also can't find reference to it on the Irish materials. If anyone can point it out that would be cool. I do know there are variations in the text from country to country. he's been cool so far so I don't want to be a jerk and ask him to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Murasaki Ookami View Post
    I thought I'd read something like this here before but couldn't find it again. I also can't find reference to it on the Irish materials. If anyone can point it out that would be cool. I do know there are variations in the text from country to country. he's been cool so far so I don't want to be a jerk and ask him to do it again.
    Having had a quick look at the Irish Jet application site, I can't actually see it mentioning a signature anywhere.

If you are worried, I am sure your reference wouldn't mind putting the reference in a sealed, signed envelope. Although, I guess that depends how local your reference is to you? I am sure I have read some Americans have referees that are three or four states away, so if he is not near you obviously it isn't practical.

I hope this rambling and rather pointless looking post has been of some help.

Since this is a thread about references, i was wondering if anyone knows whether it would be ok to use an employer i have only been with 6 weeks. It is a teaching position and i am having a problem with other companies and references. One of my previous employers refuses to give me a reference as they are an 'advertising' company and another only offers references sent directly to the company or sent by email.
    Very frustrating only made worse by the fact i am in a foreign country and it is a nightmare to sort everything out!

6 weeks is short; for some that's still a probationary period. That doesn't really speak much for an employee as in most cases they're playing it safe. You could try it but don't you know anyone else that really knows your work values? I don't think they're concerned about your teaching ability, that you can express in your SOP, they just need a professional reference to know how you are as an employee.

If you can't secure a professional reference there's always annoying your previous teachers for a reference.

You can also try negotiating with that one company that won't give references to the employee but rather to the company. If you finagle enough, you'll probably find someone that's willing to bend backwards. Just explain how this is a government job and this must be included in your application package.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkypie View Post
    6 weeks is short; for some that's still a probationary period. That doesn't really speak much for an employee as in most cases they're playing it safe. You could try it but don't you know anyone else that really knows your work values? I don't think they're concerned about your teaching ability, that you can express in your SOP, they just need a professional reference to know how you are as an employee.

If you can't secure a professional reference there's always annoying your previous teachers for a reference.

You can also try negotiating with that one company that won't give references to the employee but rather to the company. If you finagle enough, you'll probably find someone that's willing to bend backwards. Just explain how this is a government job and this must be included in your application package.
    Tried a couple of people and they haven't got back to me yet. I have also asked a teacher and she said she would do it, however, since i have finished university, i can only use 1 on my application. I am phoning one company tomorrow to see if i can negotiate a reference.

Do you think i should ask for a reference tomorrow and keep it as a back up plan in case all else fails?

I say you bother as many people as possible to secure some guaranteed references if you're situation is that dire.

I will do. Shame, i suppose i will be ready for application next year if things don't work out, will carry on teaching English, practice my Japanese and will go on a CELTA course (my teaching position ends in June and can start again in October).

Thank you everyone for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rz1 View Post
    I have also asked a teacher and she said she would do it, however, since i have finished university, i can only use 1 on my application.
    Wait, what? I didn't know that was a rule. Is that a UK thing?

I thought that if you were still in university you had to include at least one academic reference but if you weren't you could still use whatever references you felt were best... whether academic or professional.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkypie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hunterofpeace View Post
    Wait, what? I didn't know that was a rule. Is that a UK thing?

I thought that if you were still in university you had to include at least one academic reference but if you weren't you could still use whatever references you felt were best... whether academic or professional.
    Oh my, i have misread. It says recent graduates can use 2 academic references. I am going full force and badger all my teachers. There is hope!

Glad we could solve your reference crisis.
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

Glad we could solve your reference crisis.
    Well, assuming i can attain two references before the deadline. ^_^

Yup. You're on your own from there, I'm afraid. Try not to fvck up, eh?

Yup. You're on your own from there, I'm afraid. Try not to fvck up, eh?
    The amount of time i have spent with this application, i really hope not. Sometimes i forget i am currently teaching in another country because i am that en-wrapped with the application process. *fingers crossed*

Edit: One reference secured. Now i am waiting on another teacher who agreed to write another.

Edit 2: Just thought i would inform everyone that a second teacher is currently writing me a reference. I should be ready before the deadline.
    Last edited by Rz1; November 9th, 2011 at 00:41.

Ah, sugar. On the application it asks for most recent part-time/full time employer.I work 16 hours a week (my current job) teaching and i was wondering if that is classifiable as full-time or part-time. I am guessing part-time by hours.

Also it says occupation and not occupations, does that mean you only need to fill in either part time or full time?
    Last edited by Rz1; November 9th, 2011 at 05:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Rz1 View Post
    Ah, sugar. On the application it asks for most recent part-time/full time employer.I work 16 hours a week (my current job) teaching and i was wondering if that is classifiable as full-time or part-time. I am guessing part-time by hours.

Also it says occupation and not occupations, does that mean you only need to fill in either part time or full time?

Yeah, that would class as part time, full time is thirty-something hours plus, so just fill in the part time section. I don't like the way it only asks for one job- I'm doing two part time jobs to make up full time hours, but had to just put the one down (the one I got most recently as it asks for the most up to date one)... yet my reference is from the other and reads like I'm still there as well... I'm just going to make sure I refer to it in my sop, something about working two jobs and time management skills so that they're not totally baffled.