Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guesses on this year

Default Guesses on this year

I was talking to a friend about applying and she speculated that this year might be easier to get in becuase of the earthquake/radiation issue.

What does everyone think? I could care less but, and this is all purely speculation, anyone think the numbers might be lower this year? More non recontracts?

Maybe they will be higher?

Speculate away!
    2012 Applicant

Default Re: Guesses on this year

I could be overestimating the intelligence of applicants but I think most people should know that most things are pretty much back to normal in Japan outside the areas directly hit.

Then again I think some people still believe Japan is a glowing radioactive wasteland based on the reactions I've gotten..
    Last edited by patjs; October 1st, 2011 at 10:53.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    I could be overestimating the intelligence of applicants but I think most people should know that most things are pretty much back to normal in Japan outside the areas directly hit.

Then again I think some people still believe Japan is a glowing radioactive wasteland based on the reactions I've gotten..
    Yeah.

I also want to add: I am more so wondering if people will be scared off by the media, etc. This isn't suppose to come off in the wrong way. I just have heard a few people thinking all the food in Japan is now toxic.
    2012 Applicant

If anything, I think it'll be higher because of the lack of employment options over the last few years (in the USA specifically). People might see JET as a last resort kind of deal.

There's a nobleheart every year.

Speculation won't do anyone much good, and no one has enough information to give a properly reasoned response.

There will be plenty of recontracts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

...but I think most people should know that most things are pretty much back to normal in Japan outside the areas directly hit.
    Yeah I'm a 1st year JET in Hyogo and there's no mention of anything earthquake or nuclear related at all. I've been to Tokyo too and it's just business as usual there. Last year was the year for there to be plenty of drop outs I think.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    There's a nobleheart every year.

Speculation won't do anyone much good, and no one has enough information to give a properly reasoned response.

There will be plenty of recontracts.
    But speculation is so fun (for me anyhow)! What else am I supposed to do when I should be reading for my class. I agree though, I am sure there will be the normal amount of recontracts. Just have seen my fair share of Americans falling into media hype.

The job market is bad though... I am glad I have my job currently.
    2012 Applicant

As said previously, I believe this past year was the crazy year for dropouts, I believe there were a fair amount more upgrades than usual..?
    That's the best thing I ever saw!

Since we have got settled in, not a single JET I know has expressed any concern, fleeting or otherwise, for their safety in regards to the earthquake/nuclear situation.

Based on that anecdotal evidence (albeit tenuous) I would not imagine the recontracting / dropout rate being any different to a normal year. (taking last year as being NOT normal due to the disasters)

haha id have to agree, many people iv told i intended on working in japan think im gona end up with a healthy green glow :P
    I probably post things that interest you
    nihonomnom | JET Program tales from Kobe-shi \(^ω^\)└(★o★)┐(〜^∇^)〜

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

Wait, people outside of Japan are actually still talking about this? As far as I know, the news of the earthquake/tsunami stopped being big news back in the states after about a month or so (save for the many fund raisers).

Not sure how it's even possible to make worthwhile speculation on this.

This. If it were to have any sort of impact on the number of applications, I'd assume it'd be on those who didn't care so much/stand a chance in the first place.
    I have seen the life on this planet, Scully, and that is exactly why I am looking elsewhere.

i'm sure everything's pretty much back to normal out in fukushima, and a sh*t ton load of new folk have come through.

as far as the radiation problem goes... who knows, right? only time will tell. but for now, it's kind of an out of sight, out of mind kinda deal.

anyway, good news for 2012 people that this tsunami/quake/radiation thing happened though, right? chances of getting out to the promised land have gone up significantly!

akihabara, here i come!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMart View Post

anyway, good news for 2012 people that this tsunami/quake/radiation thing happened though, right? chances of getting out to the promised land have gone up significantly!
    i think id die a little inside if i claimed to benefit from that but honestly i though it would have a negative impact on acceptance numbers due to financial constraints

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

Yeah, here in fuku, many students asked me during my self intro what Americans thought of the radiation(that was a fun discussion), and most are still careful about fruits/veg/milk they buy, but things are pretty much normal.
    I don't think the number of applicants this year will be too far off from previous years...especially since I'm pretty sure many who turned down placements last time will be applying again now that time has passed (we were told we could due to the disasters)

Quote Originally Posted by deadking View Post
    If anything, I think it'll be higher because of the lack of employment options over the last few years (in the USA specifically). People might see JET as a last resort kind of deal.
    I would go with this.
    Last year was the year of improved chances due to Fox.

I'm not sure what its like in other embassy/consulates, but in London if there are less good applicants, they say they will just send less JETs to Japan.

(That's what they told me anyway...)

The amount of people recontracting won't change. The people who were bothered by the disaster already had the opportunity to get the Fuk(ushima) out of here.

I'm like 50km from the nuclear plant and everything is business as usual. If you're stupid enough to believe the news and not find out your own info about what's actually going on here we don't want you anyway <3

Quote Originally Posted by Nak View Post
    The amount of people recontracting won't change. The people who were bothered by the disaster already had the opportunity to get the Fuk(ushima) out of here.

I'm like 50km from the nuclear plant and everything is business as usual. If you're stupid enough to believe the news and not find out your own info about what's actually going on here we don't want you anyway <3
    You sir (or madam) are legen wait for it dary!

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

My friend falls into the second category. I told her that my husband is planning to apply for JET, and she immediately started talking about OMG RADIATION. Ever since then, she's mentioned it every time we see each other. :\

Nobody really cares about the radiation. It's off the news so it's not real anymore to people.

What is real is a terrible economy and the prospect of 3-5 years of a steady paycheck with great benefits and super easy work.
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.