Thread: Need a game for "What ~~~?" unmotivated students

Default Need a game for "What ~~~?" unmotivated students

Um. So I am a little bit lost.

My JTE just told me that she needs a game for Wednesday that would teach them the "What..." question asking grammar point. The page she pointed to was New Horizon`s unit 5... the "What time is it" or "I don`t know what you mean" portion.

I am teaching about 8 JHS boys who are at the bottom of the English class and are really hard to keep entertained. Their levels vary and there are a few who are not that bad but the issue not so much their English level but rather actually getting them to actively participate.

I don`t know if it is just me but the JTE does not seem like she knows exactly what she`s looking for in this activity. Or at least she didn`t describe it well enough to me for me to get a clear idea of what she is looking for. There wasn`t much information from her beyond "make them learn how to ask various ~what~~~? questions."

I did take a quick look through some of the older posts but this kind of seemed more specific than the general unit related questions.

Thoughts? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by usernamefail; October 3rd, 2011 at 14:42.

Default Re: Need a game for "What ~~~?" unmotivated students

Big box with a bunch of random junk of your desk - cut a hole into the box / put a big question mark on the side.. You say 'What's this?' they have to put their hand in and guess... person who guesses correct gets a small prize.. almost all jap kids love guessing games
    How are you? Yes yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
    Big box with a bunch of random junk of your desk - cut a hole into the box / put a big question mark on the side.. You say 'What's this?' they have to put their hand in and guess... person who guesses correct gets a small prize.. almost all jap kids love guessing games
    That would work pretty well! I`ll put some stuff together for that, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by usernamefail View Post
    That would work pretty well! I`ll put some stuff together for that, thanks
    no problem. i think with kids like that the most important thing is to engage them - the link to learning english isnt so important at this stage. If you can engage with them and have a good time they'll be much more receptive to more mundane lessons later on.
    How are you? Yes yes!

Take extremely close-up pictures of all sorts of common stuff from weird angles, then have the kids guess what they are. My kids really enjoyed this game, especially when you throw a few completely obvious ones in there (a banana, for example). The iron and the back of the TV completely stumped 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Ugh good luck. I looked through my lesson plans and I somehow escaped the wrath of this lesson but I remember thinking "how the f..."

"What's this" is a good idea, but that is well covered in 1nensei. This is the 3nensei level, it sounds like. (based on me looking at the Unit 5 for my New Horizon texts.) I guess you could backtrack and do a really easy review lesson though.

Here are some things to help though

:: JHS_Grammar_NounClauseAsDirectObjects (Englipedia activities and further explanation of the grammar point)
    :: bynewhorizonstext3 Ideas from Sendai's site. They also use New Horizon.
    Last edited by octopi; October 4th, 2011 at 14:08.

Thanks everyone for the help!!

The class is about... 1st or 2nd year level but they do have the "What is this?" question down pretty well. The pictures of stuff and a box of stuff would be good to use on them though.

Thanks octopi, will look through the links now.

Great suggestions. I'm not in JET (yet... fingers super crossed) but these ideas will be fantastic for my ELLs. Can't wait to use some.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Take extremely close-up pictures of all sorts of common stuff from weird angles, then have the kids guess what they are. My kids really enjoyed this game, especially when you throw a few completely obvious ones in there (a banana, for example). The iron and the back of the TV completely stumped 'em.
    You say 'What's this?' they have to put their hand in and guess... person who guesses correct gets a small prize..

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

I taught the names for different tastes [sweet, sour, salt, bitter], textures and shapes. Then had each student take an object out of a bag and study it for a couple of minutes and fill in blanks on a worksheet of questions. "What shape is it?" "What colour is it?" "What taste is it?" [even though this last one is a bit awkward for a native speaker it's not incorrect]
    Once they had their answers written down they put their objects back in the bag.
    They then had to pair up with another student [from the other side of the classroom who hadn't seen them at work - not sure how you'd do this bit with only 8 of them?!] and ask the questions to their partner. Because their answers are already written down, they are reading more than speaking, but they will also feel more confident and therefore more willing to answer and try to guess what their partner's object is.

Ideas for objects: Banana [if you can be bothered teaching 'crescent'], orange, slice of bread, cube of cheese, onigiri, etc.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Maybe a fun scoring system might keep their attention. Something like Jinga or that dog game that bites people. If you want to get really creative put what questions on the jinga blocks.

I would start heavy with an input/ listening activity first though so they hear the questions many times.