Thread: Hallowen for 3rd year JHS

Default Hallowen for 3rd year JHS

I got 5mins to explain Halloween to 3rd year JHS students then have 10mins for a quick halloween themed game. Any ideas of what works well in such a short time span?

Quote Originally Posted by iknowmyabc View Post
    I got 5mins to explain Halloween to 3rd year JHS students then have 10mins for a quick halloween themed game. Any ideas of what works well in such a short time span?
    a group based quiz - make sure they all have a little whiteboard for each team and make multiple choice questions, that they need to have listened to your talk to answer and throw in a few that they will have to guess. stickers for the winning team and all that jazz
    How are you? Yes yes!

Default Re: Hallowen for 3rd year JHS

oh and do it like a jap game show - they all have to show their board with answer at the same time
    How are you? Yes yes!

Meh. Mostly probably every ALT they have had have "explained" Halloween to them, maybe from elementary grade 5 up. Boring. Even I did that last year and they knew almost all the answers and seemed terribly unimpressed and more bored than usual.

Keep it light and fun - something like a card game. For instance, Go Fish but with a monster theme instead. Maybe title it "Go Scream".

Or Pictionary with them having to draw something like "Frankenstein driving a car" or "A witch eating natto" and the teams having to guess the phrase/sentence. I mean, they are close to going to high school, but they are still kids, you know?

The one thing that was a huge hit last year and works better in a short amount of time is "trick or treat" to really introduce the concept. I had a bag full of pieces of paper with "treat" or "tricks" written on them. The tricks were things like "Introduce yourself in English to 5 students" or "Sing an AKB song" or "Do 5 jumping jacks" and then they could get a treat, like a piece of candy or a Halloween pencil or sticker.

Find some decent clips from horror movies and make a game out of them somehow. Maybe some sort of mystery mafia killer game. I made a murder mystery video for a festival a while back. Maybe teach them about Halloween pranks.