Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Putting It All Together

Default Putting It All Together

So the applications are available, you've got your Letters of Rec, and your SOP is as sexy as greengoo's bicycle shorts.

Now what?

Getting the packet together is as important as getting all of the other items done properly, if not more so. The only chance you will get at a first impression for the reviewer is in the stack of papers you shove in that FedEx box, so make it sharp. General rules:

1. Make the Reviewer's Job as EASY as Possible. Think about what you would want to see after 8 hours of a looking at desperate weeaboo prose. Choose an easy-to-read font for your prints, and do your best to be consistent in everything you type. (As someone who has sat down and had to review similar packets, I PROMISE you the small things start to make a huge difference.)

2. Organize! For the love of all that is holy, they give you a very clear set of instructions for the order of papers in the packets. Yes, if you get one thing out of order it shouldn't be a huge deal, but if someone is just skimming through and does not see your proof of grad where it should be, someone JUST MIGHT not look too hard for it. It's not their job.

3. Organize Pt. 2! There are 3-4 sets of paperwork you are supposed to include, each with slightly different requirements. (I think it goes Originals, Copies, Forwarded to your Contracting Organization.) To keep organized here, make it easy on yourself. I colour-coded mine with paperclips and binder clips to keep from mixing them up. Each stack had a copy of its own checklist so I could double check it before placing it in the envelope.

4. Keep It Even! If you staple, paperclip and bind in the same spot on every stack, you will have a corner of your papers approximately 2 inches thicker than the others. Stagger the clips and other items a bit to make sure that it's not as noticeable.

5. Go Quality! If you have the extra ¥200, buy decent quality paper. Translucent copy paper is a bitch to read on under bright lights while attached to a stack of other papers. Use similar paper thoughout if you can.

6. Ship Properly! For the love of all that is good in the world, DO NOT USE THE USPS. There are horror stories every year of lost packages. Yes, they will refund your money if it is late or does not get there, but that is small comfort when you have missed the deadline. FedEx or UPS with guaranteed delivery date is the way to go.

7. Scent the Paper with Drakkar Noir! Do it. You know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by atheistwithfaith View Post
    I would advise making sure you have an extra copy of everything for yourself - it can be useful for future reference.

If anyone else has any dos or don'ts post it and I'll add it here.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; October 14th, 2011 at 01:29.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Thanks for this. I hear you on using FedEx/UPS. I'm applying from China, so I figure an application delivered via standard post would arrive by the time they assigned interviews.

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

Default Re: Putting It All Together

If you do use USPS, then pay the extra money to track your package. That way you will know when it gets delivered.

I second Lilyanphino`s comment. Also, if your package is delivered the day after/lost, but you mailed it in time to get there and have proof via USPS tracking and signature, they`ll accept your application (I`m not sure if this is case by case, though, so don`t let it happen in the first place).

Make sure you have the option checked for someone to sign for your application too!

Where in the package do I clip the $100 bribe money?
    2012 Applicant

I would advise making sure you have an extra copy of everything for yourself - it can be useful for future reference. Also, make sure that you try to send it off with a good bit of time before the deadline in case something goes wrong. After the interview stage when I had to send off medical forms, Royal Mail screwed up my delivery the day before the deadline and I had a bit of a mega-panic because the earliest they said they could redeliver was after the deadline.

It's stress you can do without so try not to make it too last minute.

(fortunately after a few long phonecalls I managed to get them to reattempt delivery of the whole van of mail the same day)

I have to double and TRIPLE agree with AWF: keep at LEAST one complete, in order, identical copy of your materials for yourself.

If you get an interview... study that packet inside and out. Know it like you know (insert thing you know well here). Chances are on your interview they WILL grill you about some minute stuff you wrote, maybe even try to trip you up. Don't be the guy that forgets what Kurasawa film you said you liked because you'll come off as a phony if you do.
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

USPS was fine for me, but I splurged about $25 on overnight shipping, complete with tracking.

Like greengoo said - don't bother lying or fudging the truth on your application. If you think saying you like Japanese literature and Kurosawa films will make you sound like you have a deeper interest in the culture, you might be right BUT if you actually know jack shit then it's very easy for them to catch you out at the interview stage. All you need is one of the interviewers to actually be a Kurosawa fan/calligraphy expert/tea ceremony master to expose your bs and potentially ruin your chances.

I initially put down I was a big fan of Kurosawa films, but my brother knows that I have only seen 3 of his films and he gave me a mock micro interview and totally made me look like a fool using his ACTUAL knowledge of the subject. Needless to say, I removed it from my SoP and only put it genuine statements I could back up.

I'm applying in Ireland and they don't have that type of info on their site or application however I found this on the UK site

JET Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme UK

so I'm going to do it this way but what do I paper clip and what do I staple?
    I realise all countries have their own ways of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Murasaki Ookami View Post
    I'm applying in Ireland and they don't have that type of info on their site or application however I found this on the UK site

JET Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme UK

so I'm going to do it this way but what do I paper clip and what do I staple?
    I realise all countries have their own ways of doing it.
    If things are part of the same item, staple. If they are part of the same group of things, paperclip.

ie Staple multi-page transcripts together. If you have multiple transcripts from different universities paper-clip them as a group. Staple your SOP. Binder-clip the whole set.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

I have a question. One of my references in the first letter only put the original and a copy. I told him I needed another copy, he mailed it to me. Should I just paperclip the two letters together? Or get a envelope and put the two in there as one? Not sure.

Well, the references needed to be in a sealed envelope with his signature... So he would need to send you either an envelope with his signature on the back seal or send you all three again in a sealed envelope with his signature.
    Last edited by Merkypie; October 22nd, 2011 at 04:47.

I have two sealed envelopes with his signature, which I believe should be fine. He lives clear across the country, and it wasn't that easy to get these letters. I would rather not yet have him send me letters again. I assumed I could just paperclip the two sealed signed envelopes together.

I rather have him do it right and not potentially damage my application. It doesn't hurt for him to mail you an empty, signed, envelope to transfer the references in IMO. May it be a manila prong folder or whatever. I'd annoy my references to hell and back than get rejected because of their screw up :P

But I guess paper clipping the envelopes together could work too. idk
    Last edited by Merkypie; October 22nd, 2011 at 08:42.

Reference screw ups are expected. If he doesn't seem inclined to fix it, don't worry.

U da real mvp.

just a question regarding the Australian application, i haven't seen it say anywhere reference letters have to be sealed or anything like that.
    but iv read stuff like the letter has to be sealed and signed
    is that an american thing?
    I probably post things that interest you
    nihonomnom | JET Program tales from Kobe-shi \(^ω^\)└(★o★)┐(〜^∇^)〜

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

It is listed on the American application to have the letters sealed and signed.

Thanks uthink. I figured that references not being exact wasn't a worst case scenario.

It says on the UK site that they should be signed and sealed as well. Doesn't say anything about including multiple photocopies of the reference though.

On the UK site it specifically states only one copy, in a signed and sealed envelope, of each of the reference letters.