Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to the 2012 Application year

Default Changes to the 2012 Application year

It looks like the applications were delayed this year because there are a number of changes to the programme. First off, it looks like the pay has changed to a sliding scale based on the number of years you recontract. From the JET Programme Canada site:

Remuneration

Remuneration per annum is approximately 3,360,000 in the first year of appointment, 3,600,000 in the second year, 3,900,000 in the third year, and, in case the contracting organisation reappoints a participant whose work ability is deemed excellent more than 2 times, 3,960,000 in both the fourth year and the fifth year. In cases in which income and resident taxes are imposed, participants must pay these taxes from this remuneration. This remuneration is a sufficient amount to cover average living expenses in Japan. Remuneration will be made in monthly payments. Participants paying taxes in Japan must pay the remaining portions of resident taxes, etc. for the full year in one lump sum before leaving Japan upon completion of the JET Programme. In Japan, joining the national social (health) insurance, contributing to the pension fund Programme and paying employment insurance are mandatory. A part of these costs are borne by the participant and deducted from the monthly post-tax remuneration each month on payday. ALTs and CIRs are considered equal in terms of status and pay.

JET Programme participants are exempt from taxes based on a tax treaty between Japan and the participant’s home country are not necessarily exempt from tax obligations in their home countries. It is the responsibility of the individual participant to clarify such obligations prior to their departure for Japan. Each participant is responsible for the payment of any obligatory home country taxes.
    Also, while I can't find it on the JET Programme Canada site, the Australia site (in addition to also showing the pay changes) shows that you can specify an April departure date if you want:

2c. Early placement in April, or early placement after April before normal designated date of arrival.
    Would you like to be considered for the position selected in Question 2a, if there are any vacant position by the end of
    February 2012? Please enter Y for yes; if not, enter N for no. Those who select “yes” for this question will need to make
    sure to submit their Criminal Record and Certificate of Health to the Embassy or Consulate General at the time of the
    application to the Embassy, or by the end of February at the latest to the Embassy or Consulate General where they will be
    interviewed. Please bear in mind, however, that those who select “yes” for this question can only be placed where vacancies
    are available, regardless of your requests in Question 16 below. Those who select “yes” for this question but are not selected
    for the April arrival group will still be considered as candidates for the Group A departure or as a candidate for early
    arrival at any designated time after April before normal designated date of arrival
    I wonder if there are any other nuggets around the various application sites as they update for this year. It doesn't look like the US or NZ site has been updated for the changes, and I haven't checked the UK or other countries yet either.
    Last edited by Ahura; October 8th, 2011 at 23:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahura View Post
    It looks like the applications were delayed this year because there are a number of changes to the programme. First off, it looks like the pay has changed to a sliding scale based on the number of years you recontract. From the JET Programme Canada site:

Also, while I can't find it on the JET Programme Canada site, the Australia site (in addition to also showing the pay changes) shows that you can specify an April departure date if you want:

I wonder if there are any other nuggets around the various application sites as they update for this year. It doesn't look like the US or NZ site has been updated for the changes, and I haven't checked the UK or other countries yet either.
    the sliding pay scale is a tad harsh, sounds to me like it would be extremely effective in retaining participants though

in terms of the april departure you need to submit your medical forms in advance to be eligible, one would need to get these forms done sooner or later if they were successful anyhow right?
    I probably post things that interest you
    nihonomnom | JET Program tales from Kobe-shi \(^ω^\)└(★o★)┐(〜^∇^)〜

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

Quote Originally Posted by kitsune_daifuku View Post
    the sliding pay scale is a tad harsh, sounds to me like it would be extremely effective in retaining participants though

in terms of the april departure you need to submit your medical forms in advance to be eligible, one would need to get these forms done sooner or later if they were successful anyhow right?
    Well, if they were successful, yes. The people who specify April departure would have to pay to get their medical check/criminal record check /before/ they even know if they're getting an interview. That sounds pretty harsh to me, but I guess it's the applicant's choice.

Well, the sliding scale sucks. It will save them money though.

The early placement thing is confusing. I wonder if this will have an affect on one's chances of being accepted.
    2012 Applicant

Default Re: Changes to the 2012 Application year

I was under the impression that the April arrivals were predominantly CIR's, perhaps this has changed somewhat this year

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

The April placements are largely only for a very few countries. I know Australia and New Zealand applicants can apply for the April intake. Not many people make the April intake...it's only really used when people pull out early and there are spaces available. I had a friend who was given the chance to go in April, but she held out until the August intake.

I'm guessng it might be because the visas for NZ/Aussies are faster to get than for Americans? Not sure...that's my random theory I'm going to throw out there.
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    The April placements are largely only for a very few countries. I know Australia and New Zealand applicants can apply for the April intake. Not many people make the April intake...it's only really used when people pull out early and there are spaces available. I had a friend who was given the chance to go in April, but she held out until the August intake.

I'm guessng it might be because the visas for NZ/Aussies are faster to get than for Americans? Not sure...that's my random theory I'm going to throw out there.
    Ah I see, I don't know how much anyone knows about how it all works
    but would I be safe to assume that if you turned down an april placement after selecting you would be interested would disqualify you from an group A departure?

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

Most American JETS wouldn't make the April cut because they're still finishing up university into mid May.
    That's the best thing I ever saw!

Agreed. The 1st year has 240,000 yen less per year (£2000ish for other Brits) is quite a cut. Back to normal in the second year. Third year increase of 300,000 (£2500ish) and minor increase for 4th and 5th year. Sucks for new arrivals, but I imagine a lot of happy current long-term JETs, as long as they get in on this. In theory it might even encourage JETs to work hard so they get good reviews and stuff for rehiring. Could also put off some who just plan on a year though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahura
    The people who specify April departure would have to pay to get their medical check/criminal record check /before/ they even know if they're getting an interview. That sounds pretty harsh to me, but I guess it's the applicant's choice.
    It is harsh, though it says you can do it by the end of February, so by then interviews should be over or you'll at least know if you have one - assuming the interviews are during February in that country too. Probably won't effect me anyway, since the UK website hasn't even updated the pay yet.

or by the end of February

Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post

This is the way it used to be, but apparently April departures, and departures any time between April and Group A/B are now available from all countries for ALTs.

They are thinking about paying JETs MORE money.... ?!?!?! I just don't understand this madness.

I don't imagine it will effect current JETs though - surely we will continue with whatever contract arrangement we began with. Are you sure this isn't actually just some weird tax thing and not an actual change to a sliding scale.

People saying its a harsh change in pay -- the JET pay is mental, even if it gets cut by 300,000 yen it is still an insane wage (especially as many JETs get other subsidies that are not mentioned in the recruitment materials).

Quote Originally Posted by atheistwithfaith View Post
    They are thinking about paying JETs MORE money.... ?!?!?! I just don't understand this madness.

---

People saying its a harsh change in pay -- the JET pay is mental, even if it gets cut by 300,000 yen it is still an insane wage (especially as many JETs get other subsidies that are not mentioned in the recruitment materials).
    I wonder if it works out cheaper for them. If they have more first years than anyone else and enough of them, it might do. Or they could be increasing the resigning requirements.

Is JET pay really that much? I saw a break down once in one of the materials put online and it seemed like the example person wasn't saving that much (though he did have loans and travel costs - but not a car).

Quote Originally Posted by Kewne View Post
    Is JET pay really that much? I saw a break down once in one of the materials put online and it seemed like the example person wasn't saving that much (though he did have loans and travel costs - but not a car).
    Yes, yes it is. If you really want to save, you can do that. If you want to have an awesome time traveling around Japan and other parts of Asia, you can do that too. Provided you're not a complete idiot when it comes to finances (which, sadly, most JETs must be or else they wouldn't keep giving budgeting advice at conferences...)

Ah I see, I don't know how much anyone knows about how it all works
    but would I be safe to assume that if you turned down an april placement after selecting you would be interested would disqualify you from an group A departure?
    If you turn down an April intake you can still go with the Group A/Group B. Or at least that's what happened with my friend.
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Eudox View Post
    If you want to have an awesome time traveling around Japan and other parts of Asia, you can do that too.
    all i could think of when i saw the words time travelling and japan was something along the lines of this ^_^

Last edited by Takoyaki; October 10th, 2011 at 13:45.

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

Quote Originally Posted by Kewne View Post
    I wonder if it works out cheaper for them. If they have more first years than anyone else and enough of them, it might do. Or they could be increasing the resigning requirements.
    It does both.

The sliding scale will save them money. You would need to stay 3 years to basically make the same total money. Anyone who leaves after 1 or 2 years are now automatically cheaper overall than 1 or 2 year stayers before. From what I understand most JETs do not stay past 2-3 years?

This also encourages recontacts...Not only do they pay less on flights (less new JETs) but they will have somewhat more experienced ALTs in the classroom.

This will however make it harder to get into the program starting next year. More recontacts mean less open spots.

Also, my guess is this will not affect current JETs. I doubt they would opt to pay them MORE when they don't have to. Same flat rate terms probably will apply to them if they recontract. That is just my guess.

Who knows... this could be a way they are saving the program from the fiscal hawks in japan.
    2012 Applicant

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default New Pay scale?

Soo... How many people think those of us already on contract are gonna get screwed and not allowed to join in on the new pay scale next year?

JET Programme Forums • View topic - New salary scale?

The scale looks a bit better, but I'm thinking the Japanese will just keep those of us recontacting at the old 3.6mil mark.

Gizmo.
    Last edited by Gizmotech; October 11th, 2011 at 10:27. Reason: (Edited for being too stupid to spell check. Go pre-coffee posting :P)

Default Any news on whether or not the new JET pay structure will affect people already here?

Anyone hear anything about this? There was no mention about it from my supervisor when he gave me the recontracting papers...

Quote Originally Posted by mtreecorner View Post
    It does both.

The sliding scale will save them money. You would need to stay 3 years to basically make the same total money. Anyone who leaves after 1 or 2 years are now automatically cheaper overall than 1 or 2 year stayers before. From what I understand most JETs do not stay past 2-3 years?

This also encourages recontacts...Not only do they pay less on flights (less new JETs) but they will have somewhat more experienced ALTs in the classroom.

This will however make it harder to get into the program starting next year. More recontacts mean less open spots.

Also, my guess is this will not affect current JETs. I doubt they would opt to pay them MORE when they don't have to. Same flat rate terms probably will apply to them if they recontract. That is just my guess.

Who knows... this could be a way they are saving the program from the fiscal hawks in japan.
    I'd have to agree, the sliding payscale has really changed my mindset, when I thought it would be 3.6m¥ I was thinking I would see how I liked my position and if it was good stay maybe another year or 2. But with the new pay scheme I'm thinking if i was happy I'd definantly look at staying 3 years to make up the loss of the first.
    So I guess in that regard it's already effective before it's even been implemented =p

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

This...is....news to me...interesting.
    I do suspect they would try and keep us on the old scale but I bet some people will kick up a fuss and they might well change it for people deciding to stay on- I do recall a story from years ago of clair agreeing to pay Australians more than others due to the weird tax situation?
    Last edited by Tyr; October 11th, 2011 at 10:36.