Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Academic Results

Default Academic Results

I've had a bit of a bad time through my undergraduate degree, taken longer to complete it than I would have liked and got a few more fails than I would have liked. I've partially had some ongoing mental health issues that I've dealt with through counselling, but I've never had a formal diagnosis.

In my final year I've come good and been achieving high results.

My questions are:
    -How much will this count against me? How heavily are academic results (and failures) weighted against the rest of the application- if my essay is kickass and everything else is in order would I even be considered for an interview?
    -Should I mention the mental health issues I've had, or are they no longer relevant? Especially since I was never diagnosed with depression and anxiety or on medication for it.
    -Should I talk about my results directly in the application or just ignore it? I'm worried that talking about it will draw attention to it, but that if I don't I won't have a chance to justify myself.

I'm especially interested in hearing from people that got in with bad results or a patchy academic history, or if you know of anyone that has.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospective View Post

My questions are:
    -How much will this count against me? How heavily are academic results (and failures) weighted against the rest of the application- if my essay is kickass and everything else is in order would I even be considered for an interview?
    -Should I mention the mental health issues I've had, or are they no longer relevant? Especially since I was never diagnosed with depression and anxiety or on medication for it.
    -Should I talk about my results directly in the application or just ignore it? I'm worried that talking about it will draw attention to it, but that if I don't I won't have a chance to justify myself.
    It will weigh against you but a lot less if you have other things like a good essay, other decent grades or experience of some sort. I had a rather patchy academic history but had stuff to compensate for it.

I would say answer the questions truthfully for what they ask. If it ask you if you ever saw a councilor then yes. If they ask if you were diagnosed dont worry about it.

For something like that i would leave it out unless you feel it really needs to be explained. The essay i feel should really focus on what you can bring to jet and less about mistakes of the past.

Thanks, that's reassuring as it kind of aligns with the way I was already thinking.

I'll stick to my strengths and mention other things only if they are asked. My understanding of Japan (having lived there for 18 months) is that it's the best way to go about things. Follow the letter of the law, but keep things to yourself in most circumstances.

I'm just a bit insecure about my grades, but I know I'd make a good JET (right combination of teaching ability, cultural sensitivity and experience). I just need to show that in the SoI.

Default Re: Academic Results

Seriously, they only care about your grades to prove that you have your degree thus you can get your visa.

My uni results were SHOCKING (like 4 papers failed and the rest all low in the C's and B's...yayyyyyy depression and insomnia) and I still got in! Don't stress out about it
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

Cytix- that's kind of example I wanted to hear

My transcripts were also awful; there were a few semesters I spent drinking and smoking myself into complete bliss, and my grades reflected my immaturity. Seriously AWFUL. I sort of addressed this in my SoP, but it was a tiny part of a single sentence, if I recall rightly (if you are interested in how I handled this, PM me, and I'll see if I can't get you more accurate info). The fact that you improved toward the end will probably help (I was the same way). The others are correct; if your SoP and app are really excellent, the grades won't really matter.

I would not mention mental health issues. Period. If you've worked through them (especially without professional assistance or drugs), then you don't need to worry about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

If it wasn't formally diagnosed definitely don't mention the mental health issues!

I never mentioned my grades at all in my SOP and nothing ever came up about them. My letters of reference were awesome so that's all that really seemed to count on that side

don't think i saw a single "A" on my transcripts. still got accepted... somehow.
    no need to stress about the grades, or even try and make excuses for em.
    just focus on a bomb dot com SOP and kill your interview!

Speaking of references would two from two different academics at Uni be okay, or is it better to have one from an academic and one from another person?

Both of mine were from different academics. Go with whichever reference has a fancier title and stationary.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

E for Enveloppeeeee

Yeah I say go for the fanciest sounding titles. I ended up with both from my work (principal and Head of Department) and they each had a gorgeous string of letters after their names.

Both of mine were from academics from the same departments but different universities, it seemed to be fine.
    That's the best thing I ever saw!

i wrote one for myself, and got my friend to write my other one.

I wrote both of mine and got my boss to sign one and my friend (meh, we worked together on a few projects so it wasn't as bad as it sounds) to sign the other. This was after I added their letterheads to make it look official, of course.

I had stellar grades but I don't think they gave a crap. My letters were one academic and one professional... though the professional one was written by one of my best buddies at my old corporation... who was also an ex-JET. whoots.
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

My grades were SHITE for first and second years, failed classes, just terrible student over all. I pulled my ass out of the fire for my core courses in years 3-5.5 (I took a long time to get out of uni) but still did shite in classes like western religion (yay breadth classes with NO relevance to my degree). I think I had a grand total of 2 A+ on my transcript the rest were b, c, and D. I got in

Gizmo- so my 7 years at Uni (some of which admittedly was part-time) is at least feasible, then!

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prospective View Post
    Gizmo- so my 7 years at Uni (some of which admittedly was part-time) is at least feasible, then!
    Technically it was 8 years... part time, time off, dicking around... extensive poverty. all types of fun.

I got straight 50% grades on a degree the mentally insane wouldn't consider academic from quite possibly the worst university in the UK, and got in.

It's not the results that count, it's how you spin them if you're even asked.

About the mental issues... you do have to fill out a physicians form and answer questions about that kind of thing. If you have visited a doctor for it, then you are supposed to have them sign off that you are fit to work in Japan. I mean, you can probably just lie and say there was never a problem... but I would hate for them to somehow find out and you get disqualified. I heard they were cracking down on that. Anyone here have any mental problems that they put on there physicians form and still got in? Or, conversely, did anyone lie about a mental problem and get away with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.