Thread: Whats the deal with Part-Time?

Default Whats the deal with Part-Time?

Hi, this is my first post, just another person trying to teach in Japan.

My only potential difference is that I only want to teach for up to six months. Therefore that ruled out JET.

I've been applying for other jobs (so far around 15) and not been getting much response, all seems to have around at least 50 applicants so its difficult. I have a CELTA certificate but no experience and no drivers license.

All these that I have applied to have been full-time. But there seems to be more part-time positions available and with less applicants. I've been getting conflicting information about this so I was wondering if someone can clear it up.

Is it possible to work two part-time jobs? If so, has anyone done it? /Is it recommendable? ALTs complain about their work, and eikaiwa people complain about theirs, so maybe doing one of each would be ideal? And if you end up without a full schedule, taking on private students to make up the difference? This way may get more variation, which I need, I get turned off by repetition (although I know teaching is of course a extremely varied profession in general).

Any help would be appreciated!

Default Re: Whats the deal with Part-Time?

Your not going to be able to do both eikiwa and ALT work at the same time. They both run conflicting schedules. Part time in either means working a full shift but not 5 days a week that's the only difference...
    How are you? Yes yes!

6 months is your problem, I don`t know of any ALT companies that offer contracts lower than 6 months- all ALT companies are doing afterall is providing cheaper Jets.
    If I were you I`d just forget looking for a job now and get a working holiday visa, its easier to get stuff once you`re here- less fear you`ll flake, no bother getting you over, etc...

As said above they tend to run in conflicting schedules, I believe there are some night school eikawas however? But....doing this would be breaking your ALT contract. And work you to death.
    The most I`ve heard of ALTs doing is a bit of tutoring on the side- which seems to be quite open knowledge with some.

Nobody is going to sponsor a visa for a 6 month stint.
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

Can't you just apply for one-year positions and give your notice in halfway through? Not ideal, but don't think you'll be indispensable enough that you'll be severely disappointing anyone, as long as you give the right amount of notice.

What's the point in only 6 months?
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    What's the point in only 6 months?
    I suspect he only has a mild case of the Fever That Shall Not Be Named. Either that or he's just after a paid vacation. Maybe both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

This place says minimum of 6 month, so possibly doable...

faq | ALTS at BORDERLINK | BORDERLINK Website

A friend of mine does Minerva, and can choose six month or one year contracts. Although, I think they look for people who do two six month contracts.

Gaba does 6 month contracts

It brings people over for them?
    I'd imagine they would like that idea for people already here but that they would bring folk over just for 6 month....seems a lot of work for so little pay off.

I know a few people that are doing full time private ALT with eikaiwa as a side job, but its more because they need the money to pay off debt/support kids/etc. If you are single and don't have a bunch of loans to pay off, you are better off just enjoying your free time in Japan because the base salary for, say, Interac should be sufficient.

I've heard of people doing multiple part time eikaiwa gigs, its apparently slightly more lucrative than just one, but there is no way you will get sponsored for a visa that way.

Your best bet is probably a private ALT company and just quitting half way through (it would probably be a good idea to not tell them until you are actually ready to leave). As much as private ALTs might make it seem like they are indentured servants, there is nothing preventing you from just going home as long as you give sufficient notice.