Thread: High School Study Abroad Experience

Default High School Study Abroad Experience

Hello, I have a question for the group, particularly for past JET applicants.

In high school, I took part in a 3-month study abroad program to Japan with AYUSA, which never collected information on either courses or grades; however, according to part (8) of the Required Documents and Supplemental Materials for US JET applicants, we are required to provide either:

(1)“transcripts from all study abroad programs you attended showing the names of the courses taken, dates attended, and grades earned”, or
    (2)“an official letter from you university or the study abroad program with with the [dates, courses, grades, city, and country]”

Now, I've found a somewhat similar thread, which left me with an impression that supplemental material (8) need not be completed for high school study abroad, here: High School Experience.

So then, firstly, do I need to submit supplemental material (8) for a high school study abroad program? Secondly, if I do, does anyone have similar application experience reporting a study abroad program where the agency did not collect course or grade information?

Thank you all for reading, I am excited to get the application underway!

Default Re: High School Study Abroad Experience

I had a similar experience. I went with a three month program via the Youth for Understanding program when I was in high school. It wasn't for credits or grades. It was kind of "just go to school and see what it is like." Last year I didn't submit that information at all with my application. I mentioned it in my SOP, but that was about it. I assumed that they were talking about studying aboard as a college student. They're not asking for your high school transcript.

Yeah, you don't need to get the transcript for it if it wasn't for a grade, as long as you have your HS transcripts. I'd definitely mention it though as it's a plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

I assumed that they just meant college study abroad?

Quote Originally Posted by bonse View Post
    I assumed that they just meant college study abroad?
    Yup. I did my senior year in a Japanese HS and didn't need to provide any sort of transcript, but I did put it on my appy. They only want grades for college stuff.

Thank you all very much for your responses. You each speak to the feeling I got on the issue, so I am glad to have it confirmed. No supplementary material; but I am definitely including the information in my SOP!