Thread: Blogs in the Classroom??

Default Blogs in the Classroom??

I've just received the latest British Council Teaching English newsletter. It contained a link to an interesting article regarding the use of blogs as a learning tool.

http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/th...blogging.shtml

I just wondered if anybody has thought about using blogs with their students before? Does it work? Is it worthwhile? Should I do it?

As I have so many students I was thinking along the lines of a class/tutor blog... one for each class/year/school. I haven't quite ironed out the details yet. But I would try to make it a type of interactive English board (as we don't have one on the wall!)

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has undertaken this sort of project before.

Thanks...
    Give me my marker show me my line... surely this is it... the edge?

That's a project I'm piloting this new academic year. In an effort to break the ice with t3h n00bs at my school, I'm gonna scrawl a few short sentences in the ol' J-語 in a blog (daily or every other day or something). Kids can go to the site, read, copy, translate, correct (however much they feel like doing - there is a reward system).

We'll see..... All of my ideas last year didn't fly, so I'm not too hopeful about this one. I think it's because fishermen don't give a flying fuck.
    Who's your user, program?

I thought a blog would be a great idea.

I was going to take pics of the students, doing various club activities, and classes etc, and then get them to write some short sentences about it, and stick it on the blog.

However, my plans were cut short. My simple idea, of which I was going to do all the work was rejected by Kocho Sensei.

Apparently it was "too difficult".

Perhaps they didn't understant the simplicity of a blog.

I was pretty pissed off about it, but there was nothing I could do.
    Pics and Stories of the Baka Inaka
    Swimming Pool Fishing to Snowboarding Sushi Style
    CLICK IT

www.thefunkydrummer.blogspot.com

Take it underground and do it anyway. I have a friend close by who runs a renegade band club, where they cover songs the students actually like! Things are so much easier if you do them yourself. As I discovered in uni, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission!

shame the courts dont see it that way
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad
    I was going to take pics of the students, doing various club activities, and classes etc, and then get them to write some short sentences about it, and stick it on the blog.

However, my plans were cut short. My simple idea, of which I was going to do all the work was rejected by Kocho Sensei.

Apparently it was "too difficult".
    It may have also been too much of a legal hassle...

Realize that if you are going to be putting photos of young people on the internut, you're gonna need a lot of permission forms or waivers. There are a lot of people out there who don't want their faces online or their names or any other information if it can be avoided.

There's also the possibility that they may not all have access to the web.

Perhaps a blog that's text only might be allowable or one where students would go, read and translate in comments or something, but keep in mind that as weird as it seems, not everyone feels comfortable with computers yet and many people just won't use them.

I lived most of my life in a state where several of my classmates didn't have phones in their homes, so yeah...
    It is a solidly built word of just four letters, bracketed by rock-hard consonants. It ... explodes into space from a gate formed by the upper incisors and the lower lip. Then it slams to a dramatic glottal cough.

Internet access is something that would hamper any attempt to do that here, too. I know of several students who don't have internet access at all, at home or school.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

quasarglow, most people I know here, especially kids at school would absolutely have a heart attack due to excitement if they were gonna get their pic put on t'internet. After said heart attack, most of them would make the peace sign and shout 'CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZUUUUUUU'. Can't think of that many people who would be requesting the right to sign a waiver.
    The folk I know aren't that concerned with security either. One person I know was wondering why she was getting spam. I took one look at her homepage and saw that she had her email addy hyperlinked on pretty much every page.
    I think maybe this Kocho really did think it was just too much work.
    I agree on the connection issue tho.

Quote Originally Posted by jane_is_ace
    Can't think of that many people who would be requesting the right to sign a waiver.
    The folk I know aren't that concerned with security either.
    It isn't neccessarily the people in the photos (or their parents) that want/require the waivers, but civil rights groups and other watchdog/whistleblower organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by quasarsglow
    realize that if you are going to be putting photos of young people on the internut [emph mine], you're gonna need a lot of permission forms or waivers. There are a lot of people out there who don't want their faces online or their names or any other information if it can be avoided.
    Ini might like to know about where he can log-in to the internut. linkage!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac_North
    the internut. linkage!
    FACEPALM
    It is a solidly built word of just four letters, bracketed by rock-hard consonants. It ... explodes into space from a gate formed by the upper incisors and the lower lip. Then it slams to a dramatic glottal cough.

civil rights groups and other watchdog/whistleblower organizations
    a.k.a the PTA?!

In the middle of nowhere Japan I don't think civil rights are high on the Kochos' (many Kochos, having ideas, is that the right place for the apostrophe?) list of reasons not to allow new ideas.

VIP

My school website is utterly crap and amateurish, but it has group photos of every single sports club, so I dont think having kids online is going to be a problem for my site (if i ever get it done).

Im still debating blogs.. I might try and add some quiz type content first, and see if we can actually use it in English class before i go that far.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jane_is_ace
    In the middle of nowhere Japan I don't think civil rights are high on the Kochos' (many Kochos, having ideas, is that the right place for the apostrophe?) list of reasons not to allow new ideas.
    There's another aspect besides the 'ruralness' of your/a school and its principals' worries about civil rights. The ISP/site creator can still be sued for unlawfully posting photos.

The only way a(n) NGO will find out that your school is in the sticks is by reading the school's name. In a land called the Internet, there is only one place: online. While the chances are low that any one would stumble on such a site (including the vanguards), it's not a chance worth taking when a simple signature from kids (and the 'rents) who "would absolutely have a heart attack due to excitement if they were gonna get their pic put on t'internet" is all you need. You'd get it eagerly returned.

I bet Ini would know where to find some good pasties or furries using kids' faces....

VIP

This is all very interesting, but does anyone actually know what the law in Japan is on publishing pictures of minors?

Every school ive ever been too has had a newsletter, and that always included big colour pictures of students playing sports or doing community work etc. I dont think anyone asks for signatures.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac_North
    I bet Ini would know where to find some good pasties
    pasties? no you cant get decent pasties in japan, or pies. I would recommend either the great yorkshire show or the driffield show if you are looking for a nice pasty and pint of best bitter.

Don't buy into that cornwall propaganda - yorkshire is the best place for a good pasty.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I miss pasties. :cry:
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamis
    My school website is utterly crap and amateurish, but it has group photos of every single sports club, so I dont think having kids online is going to be a problem for my site (if i ever get it done).

Im still debating blogs.. I might try and add some quiz type content first, and see if we can actually use it in English class before i go that far.

Matt
    You have a school website? Any chance you can post the link. I'm looking to find as many different school sites/blogs as possible as evidence that they exist (and work) outside of my imagination in my quest to get the backing of my school on this.

VIP

My school site is http://www.araki-jh.kurume.ed.jp/ make sure your speakers are on!

The sites all JHS and Elementary schools for my area can be accessed by a nice map at http://www.kurume.ed.jp/

Matt

PS. I keep meaning to submit it to the worst sites contest, heh.
    Mabushiii!!!

Cool, thanks!

I'm loving the music... can't stop dancing in my seat

We made our students make e-mail addresses, most of them didn't have one outside of their phone. We have a brand new computer lab, but no one really comes. They just use thier phones. Computers aren't a big deal here. It makes me sad.