Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early Departure

Default Re: Early Departure

I thought you only needed an xray if the doctor thought you needed one?
    I think i need to read through it again

Quote Originally Posted by Murasaki Ookami View Post
    I thought you only needed an xray if the doctor thought you needed one?
    I think i need to read through it again
    im pretty sure the xray is a visa thing about not having tuberculosis
    I probably post things that interest you
    nihonomnom | JET Program tales from Kobe-shi \(^ω^\)└(★o★)┐(〜^∇^)〜

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

It doesn't say it's optional, nor does it say it's mandatory. I took it as you had to get one. My doctor thought the same even though she didn't agree with it.

It's either or for the American health certificate. The forum specifically states that if you do not get the X-Ray exam then you must provide the results for the TB skin test.

D. X-ray Examination: Please describe the results of a physical and X-ray examination of the
    applicant's chest. Please note the exact date of the X-ray. (An X-ray taken more than three months prior
    to the completion of this Certificate of Health is NOT acceptable.) Results of a tuberculosis test must be
    provided if the necessary information is not completed below.
    So, my doctor did the TB skin test. He didn't understand why they needed the X-ray first, so he read the form, and did the skin test instead. He said if it came back positive, he would do the X-Ray exam. It didn't, so I managed to save myself a crap load of money.
    Last edited by Merkypie; October 25th, 2011 at 00:30.

Ah! This is something I know a lot about, since I just went through this whole process for work!

So if you've never had a TB test and you didn't get a vaccine as a child, you'll need a skin test. If that appears positive, you did get the vaccine, or you have tested positive for TB in the past (meaning you will always test positive for TB), you'll need a chest x-ray to verify that your lungs are clear of active TB. Recently, my doctor actually had me do a blood test because my skin test came back borderline. The blood test is more expensive, but definitely more definitive. Since I have latent TB, I will be submitting an x-ray since I can no longer take the skin test because it will cause skin necrosis.

I plan on applying for early departure too, because like Merkypie said, it doesn't hurt to try. Right now, I have nothing holding me here in April-July, so I'd be able to travel early.

I almost was going to do the x-ray, but then I reread a post from one of the coordinators who said the U.S. will accept either the x-ray or tb test. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the letter my doctor gave me will be sufficient enough. They wrote that I "had a PPD placed and read on the dates listed above, and results were normal with no induration or redness." Hopefully it will be understood by the reviewers of our application material that the test was negative, and I do not have TB....

Anyway, I have everything pretty much ready to submit. Just need to finalize my SOP and wait for the application go online. Getting anxious with all the waiting.

Has anyone thought about the chances of early departure? I was looking up for some additional info on the whole process since there's really nothing on it on the US side and I stumbled over the Australian accounts, etc.

In 2010 there were two from Aus that made it and in 2011 there was 4.

Now in 2012 they've opened up Early Departure for just about everyone. Does anyone know why? Did a whole lot of JETs drop or are there more positions being opened?

It just seems odd that they opened up Early Departure to about 5k applicants with barely 1% in open positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkypie View Post
    Has anyone thought about the chances of early departure? I was looking up for some additional info on the whole process since there's really nothing on it on the US side and I stumbled over the Australian accounts, etc.

In 2010 there were two from Aus that made it and in 2011 there was 4.

Now in 2012 they've opened up Early Departure for just about everyone. Does anyone know why? Did a whole lot of JETs drop or are there more positions being opened?

It just seems odd that they opened up Early Departure to about 5k applicants with barely 1% in open positions.
    can you link me please ^_^

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

Well I was digging around the US site and it says:

**Individuals wishing to be considered for one of a very limited number of early placements (departing April-July 2012) will face a much more stringent application schedule. Please read the application instructions for more details.
    So obviously it is going to be a very small amount of people going in on early departure. I can't say why they are opening up early departures to everyone. There is a demand for more JETs? Dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by asilverthread View Post
    So obviously it is going to be a very small amount of people going in on early departure. I can't say why they are opening up early departures to everyone. There is a demand for more JETs? Dunno.
    Well, that's a given. But how many positions are we looking at? Are some consulates even getting slots for April departure? Because it could be that Chicago, Denver and New York would get the April departure slots and Miami, Phoenix and Atlanta could be assed out.

Australia only has around 220 odd participants while the US has over 2,000. It just seems odd that they would open up April departure to more people... if there's not that many spots to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by kitsune_daifuku View Post
    can you link me please ^_^
    This is a thread about some Aus leaving on April Departure. But the official forums has some information regarding it specifically. Just do a search since its spread out in a couple of threads.
    Last edited by Merkypie; October 28th, 2011 at 15:28.

I would imagine they would go to the most eligible more so than what consulate people are applying. Yet maybe they're just wanting to speed up the process with the early departures? They may really need a few people to leave early, but then the process of getting everything together could be too time consuming to leave when needed. Open it up to all the applications and then you have a large pool of people who have most of the required paperwork. Not only that but you know for sure who can leave early and who can't.

I have a feeling it could go three ways:

1. This will open up more slots at the consulate. IE, Miami only has 20 slots. But they also get 4 Early Departure slots. So that will enable 24 JETs total to be sent out of Miami

2. The early departure slots also apply to the open spots for the application year. IE, Miami has 20 slots. Four get accepted to Early Departure. That only means 16 JETs make it to July departure

or

3. The consulates are not in control of the April departure and has no effect on the consulate slots

From what I read, each consulate gets a certain amount of open spots based upon the applicants from the previous year. Which is why consulates like Chicago and LA send more JETs than Miami or Anchorage. It would great if Early Departure is an added bonus, because it potentially raises the chances of getting into the program if not chosen for an early departure. Or it can just make things harder because slots are reduced.

IDKY for some reason I'm thinking about all of this now....

It's a lot to think about with very little answers on our end. Only thing we can do is make our applications strong to get in regardless of the slots.

I contacted the embassy here in Dublin, regarding the whole X-Ray issue because lets face it who wants all them Rads if you don't need them. and the response was good they said " As stated in the Application Checklist, if you doctor feels that you do not need a chest x-ray, a letter on headed paper is required from your doctor confirming that there is no clinical indication for you to have a chest x-ray prior to travelling to Japan." so I'm hopping I'll get away without one.

Quote Originally Posted by Murasaki Ookami View Post
    I contacted the embassy here in Dublin, regarding the whole X-Ray issue because lets face it who wants all them Rads if you don't need them. and the response was good they said " As stated in the Application Checklist, if you doctor feels that you do not need a chest x-ray, a letter on headed paper is required from your doctor confirming that there is no clinical indication for you to have a chest x-ray prior to travelling to Japan." so I'm hopping I'll get away without one.
    just man up get one and use a Rad-X dude =P

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science