Thread: Tuberculosis!

Default Tuberculosis!

Hello all,

I've been working on my application for 2012 and have a medical question for you all.
    I'm research technician at a hospital and I recently had to take my first TB test and it came back positive. I have a latent TB infection. However, I don't have TB disease, i don't have symptoms, and I'm not contagious. The cool thing about TB mycobacteria is that white blood cells basically trap the bacteria and make them in active. My chest x-ray is clear and I'm being treated (will be done with drug therapy in April-May). My doctor is willing to vouch for my health and ability to teach/live abroad. Since TB is tracked by the CDC, I do not intend to omit this from my application. Should I email my consulate to see if this will be an issue? Should I even bother applying? Opinions? Suggestions?

Apparently all those years of working in homeless shelters, on indian reservations, and building houses in Mexico finally paid off!
    Last edited by .rach.; October 20th, 2011 at 01:07.

Default Re: Tuberculosis!

This is a question most definitely for a coordinator.

But, my philosophy is that you don't know unless you try... So you shouldn't stop yourself from applying. Only DC can tell you that you didn't make it in due to TB.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm definitely going to try and I'll be emailing someone tonight about it. Thank you!

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

TB might not have anything to do with the application process but rather the immigration process. I would call your local consulate and ask them.

If your doctor can vouch for you, I'd guess you're fine, but like everyone else I'm going to reccomend calling your local consulate/embassy and asking.

You can't really lose anything by applying.

Thank you all for the replies!
    My consulate emailed me back and said that as long as my doctor fills out the appropriate forms and my chest x-ray is clear, it will not disqualify me.
    However I do wonder if it will complicate the process of getting a visa. I suppose I'll deal with that if/when it comes.
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by .rach.; October 21st, 2011 at 05:34.