Thread: Dodgy School?

Default Dodgy School?

Hiya,

new to the forums ^.^ but hello!

I applied for a job on gaijinpot, for a school called the Illinois Academy in Miigata, https://jobs.gaijinpot.com/index/vie.../46813/lang/en

I just want some opinions on what I should or should not expect from being hired directly by schools... it seems to be in an extremely remote area so obviously I'm a bit worried!

I've got another interview lined up for Peppy Kids Club in 2 weeks in London as well! So I don't know if I should give this one a miss?

Alexa

Default Re: Dodgy School?

Hey - did you mean Niigata? Tainai is not 'extremely' remote... its not in the middle of the city but you have Shiibata (a large city suburb) quite close and you have Niigata city less than an hour away. This is what 70% of placements are. If you take a job with Peppy kids it's quite likely you could get a very similar type of location or even more 'remote'. As for working for a Eikiwa (which is what both jobs are) they are a bit different from being an ALT. You can have a wider age range of students and you can also spend a lot more time teaching - i would say generally you will be 'working' more hours too. You are also working with a much smaller group of staff which can go either way. I wouldn't give this a miss - why close an option before its even been offered to you?
    How are you? Yes yes!

I would skip out on Peppy Kids. A few people I know do it and they seem miserable with how thin they're spread. One girl has a two hour commute to one of her schools, so even though she is in the city, every Saturday she can't enjoy it because of the commute takes the majority of the day away.

The name of the school is strange.

Thank you very much for your replies, you guys are right it seems a much better deal then the others I have had read about...

I had a great telephone interview with the above mentioned school in Tainai but now I'm waiting for my references to get back to me so I can sent them off to them.

Man, I just booked a telephone interview with Borderlink and of course then searched the forum about them... -.- so many of them are just awful! I would be happy to work hard but seriously, I need to know that I'm not going to be paying out a fortune for housing.

Same thing about a job I applied for on gaijinpot with Universe Academy... I don't actually mind working as Nursery Nurse (which seems to be the job rather then an English teacher according to this forum and many more)

So far... Peppy kids club interview on the 5th in London and this one in Tainai... totally hope I get the Tainai one.

Any advice?

Thank you Jojo as well, you were right about the location etc... I think I just had a freak out when I could only find a few pages about the city having a ski resort but the school sounds lovely.

Lianwen... thank you as well... do you think Peppy sounds like the best of a bad bunch?

Peppy's isn't that bad but you do have to travel around a lot. I'd say if you were given that job then do it until you find something better over there. Most of the nicer eikaiwa jobs don't advertise on big forums like that.

Quote Originally Posted by lexa1010 View Post
    Thank you very much for your replies, you guys are right it seems a much better deal then the others I have had read about...

I had a great telephone interview with the above mentioned school in Tainai but now I'm waiting for my references to get back to me so I can sent them off to them.

Man, I just booked a telephone interview with Borderlink and of course then searched the forum about them... -.- so many of them are just awful! I would be happy to work hard but seriously, I need to know that I'm not going to be paying out a fortune for housing.

Same thing about a job I applied for on gaijinpot with Universe Academy... I don't actually mind working as Nursery Nurse (which seems to be the job rather then an English teacher according to this forum and many more)

So far... Peppy kids club interview on the 5th in London and this one in Tainai... totally hope I get the Tainai one.

Any advice?

Thank you Jojo as well, you were right about the location etc... I think I just had a freak out when I could only find a few pages about the city having a ski resort but the school sounds lovely.

Lianwen... thank you as well... do you think Peppy sounds like the best of a bad bunch?
    If you get Tainai you will actually be smack bang in the middle of 3 AWESOME ski fields - good luck!
    How are you? Yes yes!

Quote Originally Posted by lexa1010 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_doitsu View Post
    Peppy's isn't that bad but you do have to travel around a lot. I'd say if you were given that job then do it until you find something better over there. Most of the nicer eikaiwa jobs don't advertise on big forums like that.
    +1. The few I`ve met on Peppy seem spread out. It doesn`t seem bad, work wise, but I don`t know if I could commute that many hours a week, even if it is reimbursed. Also, I found it strange that her work didn`t help her with getting a cell phone and other things, something that I know I woulda had difficulties with if a Japanese person hadn`t gone with me.

Probably is the best of a bad bunch until you can find a nicer/better job.

You guys have pushed me to do more research on peppy and man the training and insane travelling!

The original job in tainai- successful telephone interview, sent off my reference (and some photos she asked for @.@) and she mailed me saying she was 'thinking of offering position from march' and then asked if I could commit for two years and I agreed but nothing back yet. Fingers crossed!

You guys have been awesome!

Sending photos is normal in Japan when applying for a job. They may not know your sex by looking at your name, and also what you look like is a big thing.

I hope they like my face then...

More than Japan even, a lot of European countries have photos on CVs as standard.

With these sorts of jobs I believe the photos have a purpose however, they're used for visas and all that sort of thign should you get through.

I see, I see... its very odd in the UK to be asked for photos for some reason. Peppy Kids Club wanted to see pictures of me with the kids I looked after, this seemed VERY weird but I can totally understand why they would want them.

I'm so impatient! I'm hoping that a "thinking about making an offer" is a good sign.

Make sure the parents of the kids you looked after know you're sending their photos to Japan. You could land yourself in big poop if not.

Luckily I don't have any... I remember a few times wanting to take pictures for memories but felt way too weird about it...