Thread: The story told [to?] us?

Default The story told (to?) us?

We are going over grammar for tests and stuff right now.

My teacher didn`t create this, but it is apparently out of a workbook issued by the government. But I am trying to figure out if I am going crazy or if it really is wrong.

"The story was very interesting. Tom told it to us."

Then they change that to...

"The story told us by Tom was very interesting."

I am right that we need to have a to in there after the told and before us, right?

My JTE was trying to tell me that there is a set way to convert these statements and what I was saying wasn`t right, that is was just "my way" of doing things.

I am sure that the to is necessary but I can`t explain clearly why it is necessary to her. Can anyone give me insight on this?

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, that`s what I thought. I talked to her again and I think we have it resolved. The book was mistaken or there was some sort of misunderstanding that took place... you wouldn`t say "The present given Tom by Sarah." and she agreed with that.

It is, like you, said because it is the passive tense. The problem is worked out now... even if I am still not sure I explained it properly.

I am with my brats on the whole "English is hard thing"... or at least, it is hard to explain sometimes.