Thread: prepaid visa/mc credit card?

Default prepaid visa/mc credit card?

Sorry if a question like this has already been posted. The search function won't work on my phone. Is it possible to buy prepaid credit cards in japan? I want to do some online shopping on sites other than amazon.co.jp.

Default Re: prepaid visa/mc credit card?

Rakuten bank (formerly e-bank) have a visa debit card that you can charge up for a small fee at 7-11 ATMs. Hope that helps. Keeps your spending under control that way too!

You could also just see if whatever site you're shopping on will let you pay at a combini or do COD. A surprising amount will.

@crayon - how do you get one of those things? Online? I don't think I have one of those banks around here.

@coop - I'm dealing with websites outside of japan, so that's not an option.
    thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    @crayon - how do you get one of those things? Online? I don't think I have one of those banks around here.
    Yes, it's online only. You will have to fill out their application form online - if you need help, get your supervisor or a JTE to help or similar. The place where I make payments into the card are 7-11 stores. Perhaps they have application forms too? I'm not sure about that. It's a while since I applied.

Crayon <3 <3 <3 You're awesome.

Signing up for a card when I get home (so my chrome translator can do its thing on the secure page). I stupidly did not check the expiry date of my NZ visa until I arrived and by then it had expired. I have a Visa Debit here but I really don't want to transfer money back to NZ just so I can use my card here (e.g. when I book my flight to England next year etc.)
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Crayon <3 <3 <3 You're awesome.
    Maybe I should quote you for posterity. Thanks but just trying to help. Be aware that there is a charge of 200 yen or so every time you deposit/withdraw from the 7-11. Also, be aware when paying for something abroad how much it costs (try a small purchase abroad first). Still should be very cheap now though, eh?

Will be MUCH cheaper than what my home bank charges for international money payments. Makes it far easier to buy my Y200,000 flights to England via a Japan-based Visa debit than to transfer money home and THEN use my NZ visa-debit.
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan