Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 215

Thread: UK app is out boys and girls!

  1. #1

    Default UK app is out boys and girls!

    Finally it's out. Haven't had a look at it yet, but I haven't finished my TEFL course or my SOP. And I've been thinking about this application since June. So far not so good.

  2. #2

    Default Re: UK app is out boys and girls!

    Ours goes live on Monday. Good luck UK applicants.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Tyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    1,553

    Default Re: UK app is out boys and girls!

    As long as you should be finished the TEFL course by the time you leave they'll probally count the points for it.
    Not that I believe it counts for too much. From what I hear its more the internationalisation than the teaching thing that they go for.
    And I wasn't even sure I was applying for Jet until November iirc (maybe late October) when I was struck by a spell of 'oh what the heck, might as well give it a go'.

    Good luck new folks.
    Last edited by Tyr; October 29th, 2011 at 20:57.

  4. #4

    Default

    Section 27: Please make sure you describe ALL your international/intercultural experiences, whether they be formal or informal (e.g. holiday). We strongly recommend that you enter details of all your experiences and situations you have encountered

    I am in serious trouble of writing multiple pages here, practically another SOP's worth of stuff. Any idea what's a good amount to write for this?

  5. #5
    Senior Member VonD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
    As long as you should be finished the TEFL course by the time you leave they'll probally count the points for it.
    Not that I believe it counts for too much. From what I hear its more the internationalisation than the teaching thing that they go for.
    And I wasn't even sure I was applying for Jet until November iirc (maybe late October) when I was struck by a spell of 'oh what the heck, might as well give it a go'.

    Good luck new folks.

    They actually ask if you have a TEFL qualification in a drop box, I dont remember that last year ?
    Von D

    Musician . . . ? Me . . . ? Well actually yes, yes I am www.soundcloud.com/Lkv

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JET-setter View Post
    Finally it's out. Haven't had a look at it yet, but I haven't finished my TEFL course or my SOP. And I've been thinking about this application since June. So far not so good.
    I haven't finished my TEFL course either yet. Which section are you mentioning your course in?

    I'm putting mine in the Teacher Training section of Question 26, but as it's an online course it doesn't have Dates, Hours/Week, and as I've not completed it yet I don't have anything to put in the Grade section other than 'Not yet completed' or 'N/A'. I don't have any certification to provide either, so I'm unsure about how they'll take it

    Also, is anybody else mentioning watching Japanese cinema / reading Japanese literature as an example in Question 30 - Study of Japanese history / culture / language?

    And I'm assuming for Question 32 about other languages, you won't need to put English and 5's for everything...

  7. #7
    Senior Member VonD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dvae View Post
    I haven't finished my TEFL course either yet. Which section are you mentioning your course in?

    I'm putting mine in the Teacher Training section of Question 26, but as it's an online course it doesn't have Dates, Hours/Week, and as I've not completed it yet I don't have anything to put in the Grade section other than 'Not yet completed' or 'N/A'. I don't have any certification to provide either, so I'm unsure about how they'll take it

    Also, is anybody else mentioning watching Japanese cinema / reading Japanese literature as an example in Question 30 - Study of Japanese history / culture / language?

    And I'm assuming for Question 32 about other languages, you won't need to put English and 5's for everything...
    ive mentioned my TEFL in the same section (im almost finished but it takes 4 weeks for cert to come through).

    For the dates I put when I started August 2011 - November 2011, for hours/ weeks I put 120 hours total.

    In Q.30 ive mentioned several books I have read on Japanese history but they are academic in nature, (by Prof. Steve Turnball, if anyone watched bringing Samurai back to life on CH4 awhile ago he was on that) and I also mentioned Learning to Bow which is about JET but is not an academic read.

    i recon you'd be fine mentioning films as long as they were not anime/manga in origin and putting it down as culture IMO.
    Von D

    Musician . . . ? Me . . . ? Well actually yes, yes I am www.soundcloud.com/Lkv

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VonD View Post
    ive mentioned my TEFL in the same section (im almost finished but it takes 4 weeks for cert to come through).

    For the dates I put when I started August 2011 - November 2011, for hours/ weeks I put 120 hours total.

    In Q.30 ive mentioned several books I have read on Japanese history but they are academic in nature, (by Prof. Steve Turnball, if anyone watched bringing Samurai back to life on CH4 awhile ago he was on that) and I also mentioned Learning to Bow which is about JET but is not an academic read.

    i recon you'd be fine mentioning films as long as they were not anime/manga in origin and putting it down as culture IMO.
    That sounds good. The films aren't anime so I think I'll be okay with them.

    I think with my degree classification I'm going to put it under Other. The official course name was just BA English, but more Humanities than Languages and not solely Literature or Linguistics. More of a mix of the two.

    Do you think I'd be okay requestion an Urban placement, but not putting any specific city/prefecture? I might not even bother requesting anywhere. I'd honestly be happy wherever I'm placed.
    Last edited by dvae; October 30th, 2011 at 00:19.

  9. #9
    Senior Member VonD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dvae View Post
    That sounds good. The films aren't anime so I think I'll be okay with them.

    I think with my degree classification I'm going to put it under Other. The official course name was just BA English, but more Humanities than Languages and not solely Literature or Linguistics. More of a mix of the two.

    Do you think I'd be okay requestion an Urban placement, but not putting any specific city/prefecture? I might not even bother requesting anywhere. I'd honestly be happy wherever I'm placed.
    Honestly if the official name was BA English and thats how it appears on your certificate put that, they'll be able to see from your transcript what you did and didnt do.

    My degree is American Studies And History. Ive had to put the American Studies bit under other on my major because it wasn't in the drop down box, however I selected History in the minor because it was available.

    In my American Studies classes I dd History, IR, Foreign Policy, Civil Rights and this wasn't just the USA it was also Latin America as well and my separate history classes focused on European History over the last 400 years, although the degree title is vague its the transcripts that let them know exactly how you focused your degree, so IMO just use the drop down option instead of putting it under other


    I think placement is just a matter of preference, just make sure you can back up why you wanna go somewhere in particular.
    Von D

    Musician . . . ? Me . . . ? Well actually yes, yes I am www.soundcloud.com/Lkv

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VonD View Post
    My degree is American Studies And History.
    We all make bad choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  11. #11
    Senior Member VonD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    We all make bad choices.
    Yea not the greatest degree title in the world, but i enjoyed it and thats what counts . . . even if it isnt worth the paper its printed on haha.
    Von D

    Musician . . . ? Me . . . ? Well actually yes, yes I am www.soundcloud.com/Lkv

  12. #12
    Senior Member VonD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: UK app is out boys and girls!

    Make sure you save as you go guys, I just made the mistake of leaving the page up whilst i did something else for 20mins or so, after filling out a large section, when i clicked save on my return it went to the login screen!
    Von D

    Musician . . . ? Me . . . ? Well actually yes, yes I am www.soundcloud.com/Lkv

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VonD View Post
    They actually ask if you have a TEFL qualification in a drop box, I dont remember that last year ?
    I don't know about last year, but it was on there two years ago. I remember because it has a weird requirement - it asks if you have a TEFL certificate, then says put yes if you have over 100 hours of TEFL training - the way it's phrased you don't need a tefl certificate to put yes if you've gone through the training, as well as that you need to say no if you've taken one that take less time.
    Last edited by Kewne; October 30th, 2011 at 06:42.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VonD View Post
    i recon you'd be fine mentioning films as long as they were not anime/manga in origin and putting it down as culture IMO.
    Naming anime and manga is fine!!

  15. #15
    Senior Member Tyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rage_and_Hairspray View Post
    Section 27: Please make sure you describe ALL your international/intercultural experiences, whether they be formal or informal (e.g. holiday). We strongly recommend that you enter details of all your experiences and situations you have encountered

    I am in serious trouble of writing multiple pages here, practically another SOP's worth of stuff. Any idea what's a good amount to write for this?
    I tried to fit it in the box, didn't stretch it too much.
    Just like holidays to xxx,yyy,zzz.
    Worked in aaa, as bbb, summer 2008.
    etc....

  16. #16
    Senior Member VonD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atheistwithfaith View Post
    Naming anime and manga is fine!!
    I was merely giving my opinion and it clearly states that it is just that, wasn't trying to upset anyone.
    Von D

    Musician . . . ? Me . . . ? Well actually yes, yes I am www.soundcloud.com/Lkv

  17. #17
    Senior Member Silhouette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Anybody found those online TEFL courses to be beneficial?

    I feel like I should do one so that I'm keeping up with the Joneses, but I get the feeling they're not worth paying for.

  18. #18
    Senior Member VonD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette View Post
    Anybody found those online TEFL courses to be beneficial?

    I feel like I should do one so that I'm keeping up with the Joneses, but I get the feeling they're not worth paying for.
    Im personally enjoying mine and having a TEFL means if i don't get on JET again this year I have other options if I chose to go to somewhere like China instead.

    It is informative and helps you brush up on grammar, phonology, etc etc and gives some teaching ideas and the like. For me personally its also reassured me that I'm not a complete idiot and could teach English lol.

    Im doing the 120 hour one but Im glad i didnt pay full whack for it, I got it through Groupon as someone mentioned it to a few of us in a thread earlier on in the year and it only cost £60, I would certainly be upset however if I had paid the full £380 odd pound.
    Von D

    Musician . . . ? Me . . . ? Well actually yes, yes I am www.soundcloud.com/Lkv

  19. #19

    Default

    I'm with VonD. So not worth the full fee, but for £60 it's been great. Even if it doesn't make a huge difference to the JET Programme, it's done a lot for my confidence in a classroom environment if I do get the chance to go to Japan. I can't believe it would take them four weeks to get the certificate to us. That's crap!

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rage_and_Hairspray View Post
    Section 27: Please make sure you describe ALL your international/intercultural experiences, whether they be formal or informal (e.g. holiday). We strongly recommend that you enter details of all your experiences and situations you have encountered

    I am in serious trouble of writing multiple pages here, practically another SOP's worth of stuff. Any idea what's a good amount to write for this?
    I've decided to list all my family holidays in one box. List all the countries, then for the dates put - Summer 2000-2007 and something like 'Travelled widely across Europe over the years'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •