Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: UK app is out boys and girls!

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    I'm not sure which people you're referring to but I can only assume you mean myself and Gizmotech. I am a current JET in my second year, planning to stay for a third, not a clueless applicant. I am not romanticizing my position here, but I am not so cynical as to think that I'm going to leave my post here without any skills, contacts or recommendations. Thank you, that is all.
    Point taken, and apologies for assuming you were one of the applicants.
    I'll go back to my prefectural forums, I shouldn't have commented anyway, I only came to see if the interview results were out or not.

Have fun, you guys, with your civil discussion.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yukinomonogatari View Post
    What thread are you referring to in the lounge (if there is one)?
    I dunno. Minor rants usually aren't all that minor, and heck, nothing starts a good old fashioned forum fight like starting a thread called " G'D JET. Worst job of my life."

Default Re: UK app is out boys and girls!

Australians, like the UK, need to wait for the post before finding out our results, but US people are starting to have theirs trickle in.

>_< Only a couple more days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    JET is a job not quite like any other. You're ridiculously overpaid and mollycoddled to do something you're not trained to do. Your responsibilities are generally pretty low and (compared to your coworkers) you are treated extremely leniently - certainly the expectations of you are not the same by a long shot. You have no real career progression. You won't get any decent references and you may even end up hurting yourself if you end up back home after 5 years with no real job experience compared to others in your age group.

I guess JET is a job, but it's not a career for the vast majority. If you have any plans to go somewhere in your life then it's probably best to let JET go and get on with it.
    How does reference shiz normally work anyway? If you ask for one will they be completely confused, or do they have the same thing for Japaneses in Japan? I know that almost all things you apply for in the UK ask you for a letter of reference from your most recent employer and if you don't attach one they will probably throw out your application before they read the reasons why.

The point is that if you are an applicant considering waiting for JET if you haven't been shortlisted or even if you've been rejected and are considering waiting a year to apply again, you need to seriously consider whether or not it is worth it.
    I imagine most re-applicants don't just jizz away the year doing nothing. From what I've been hearing, a lot of people are also applying to other jobs as well as waiting for JET, so implying that we're just waiting around on-hold for October each year is kind of inaccurate, I think.

As a re-applicant-to-be, I wouldn't give up a good job offer here in favour of applying to JET. But considering how hard those are to come across, the skills I'm gaining while improving my application for this year will be useful even if I am rejected again. I definitely wouldn't apply a third time, though.

You get out JET what you make of it, really.

If you write on your CV you did nothing for 5 years bar staying to make money because your home country is a jobless market, well, that's not going to work. Chances are for a few that's the truth as it is, but certainly not what you'd write on a CV. I'm new here, still in my first year and have recontacted for a second so may yet still be sheltered against hardships to come, but that doesn't stop me thinking about what's happening to me in a few years time. If asked at an interview for a job at mcdonalds, you don't say "Because I want money and this is the best I can get." It may be the truth, but that matters little.

One thing I have worried about is that teachers rotate and thus so will my potential referees, but I'm already planning on getting around this by asking for a reference from some JTE's for future use before they leave next year, if they even do. It's also not the worst thing in the world to revisit a previous employer for a reference, so I don't see why a JTE leaving would kill your reference - simply visit them in their new school, or contact them someway and ask. I've also got my supervisor, who's worked at the BOE for 10 years now and doesn't seem to be leaving, so he's an ideal referee candidate for me.

To the folk entering JET, receiving their shortlist or whatever notifications: Congratulations. You'll come to Japan and the vast majority of the time, you'll enjoy yourself. You'll have days where you want to die, times you feel useless and unneeded, but that's what coming here to vent is for. It's completely up to you if you want to piss away your time not doing anything meaningful, though. You'll be surprised how meaningful you can make your time simply by asking; although this does admittedly strongly depend on schools and BOE/Employers. Some may be dicks and not let you use the photocopier without jumping through hoops, some may just sit in silence and seemingly let you get away with doing nothing, just waiting for the day you ask to do something but never wanted to say. This happened to me, I'm doing listening/speaking classes this year simply because I asked.

It's really not the end of the world if you don't get in. JET isn't a magical job that will secure you for life, it's just a very comfortable way to put off entering the real world for a few years.

double post
    Last edited by MJN; April 12th, 2012 at 10:15.

Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    You get out JET what you make of it, really.

If you write on your CV you did nothing for 5 years bar staying to make money because your home country is a jobless market, well, that's not going to work. Chances are for a few that's the truth as it is, but certainly not what you'd write on a CV. I'm new here, still in my first year and have recontacted for a second so may yet still be sheltered against hardships to come, but that doesn't stop me thinking about what's happening to me in a few years time. If asked at an interview for a job at mcdonalds, you don't say "Because I want money and this is the best I can get." It may be the truth, but that matters little.

One thing I have worried about is that teachers rotate and thus so will my potential referees, but I'm already planning on getting around this by asking for a reference from some JTE's for future use before they leave next year, if they even do. It's also not the worst thing in the world to revisit a previous employer for a reference, so I don't see why a JTE leaving would kill your reference - simply visit them in their new school, or contact them someway and ask. I've also got my supervisor, who's worked at the BOE for 10 years now and doesn't seem to be leaving, so he's an ideal referee candidate for me.

To the folk entering JET, receiving their shortlist or whatever notifications: Congratulations. You'll come to Japan and the vast majority of the time, you'll enjoy yourself. You'll have days where you want to die, times you feel useless and unneeded, but that's what coming here to vent is for. It's completely up to you if you want to piss away your time not doing anything meaningful, though. You'll be surprised how meaningful you can make your time simply by asking; although this does admittedly strongly depend on schools and BOE/Employers. Some may be dicks and not let you use the photocopier without jumping through hoops, some may just sit in silence and seemingly let you get away with doing nothing, just waiting for the day you ask to do something but never wanted to say. This happened to me, I'm doing listening/speaking classes this year simply because I asked.

It's really not the end of the world if you don't get in. JET isn't a magical job that will secure you for life, it's just a very comfortable way to put off entering the real world for a few years.
    Yeah, good post.

I still have my career to worry about and it's very skill specific. I definitely know that JET will not make or break my career, as my degree speciality is very flexible (I can go anywhere with it as long as there's a web/IT department), but references are references and I'll be sure to try and find a way to get them. I also will need to stay on top of the current coding trends in the mobile and browser world. Like I said, JET won't make or break me but it won't give me much time to code so I need to stay on top of that. When I do come back, I won't be one or two years behind.

A jobs a job, whatever I do on JET is going to reflect on me somehow... just like anywhere else.
    Last edited by Merkypie; April 12th, 2012 at 13:59.

Yeah, a useful degree is still a useful degree. A Liberal Arts degree is still a Liberal Arts degree. JET will look better on a resume than a year at McDonalds, but it's not career progression, really.

Unless perhaps you want to work in international relations, teaching or using Japanese. IMO going on JET "aimlessly" one should really throw themselves into the language, so even if you come back with as few prospects as you went with at least you have a language in addition to your pre-JET skills.
    Last edited by Prospective; April 12th, 2012 at 14:07.

Please try to understand words that are English.
    Oh wow, I've been missing out by not coming in here.

I got a reference. A lot of people here are ex-JETs so my letter was really useful. I also translated a reference for a girl who left at the end of my first year. It was really nice about her and she was a pretty average JET. Unless you are lazy and a crap ALT then I'm sure they will write all good things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Japan is one of the few places where an old lay will clutch her purse in terror at the sight of a white person.
    The thing is, from what I know, you're pretty hot and maybe asian.

Whagwarn then everyone, people have presumably got their rejections/acceptance/alternation letters? Think I'm the only person yet to hear anything lol

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

If you haven't heard anything from your consulate and everyone else pretty much has, I would send them an e-mail asking for confirmation. Somethings do get lost in the confusion and it's hardly an automated process.

Quote Originally Posted by atheistwithfaith View Post
    How does reference shiz normally work anyway? If you ask for one will they be completely confused, or do they have the same thing for Japaneses in Japan? I know that almost all things you apply for in the UK ask you for a letter of reference from your most recent employer and if you don't attach one they will probably throw out your application before they read the reasons why.
    For my pred, the recruiting agency sent a letter to my school, and my JTE filled it out, getting me to check that it was OK. So being nice to your successor is advisable I guess!

I found that usually in the UK though they won't ask for a letter of reference until after you have got the job, since most people are still in employment and may not have told their boss they are leaving. Graduate programs and postgrad study will usually require letters with your application though.

But it seems getting a letter of reference on school letterhead paper, from either your principal or your JTE before you leave would be a good idea.

Bump for the UK JETs.

I posted this on the official forum...but thought I should let you lovely folks know as well:

JETAA London (The JET Alumni Association if you are getting sick of acronyms.) will run a Q&A Day on the 14th of July, just after your pre departure orientation. This event is for any new JETs or your parents (or partners) to come and ask questions about becoming a JET.

This year the event will include:
    * A quick taster lesson in Japanese (to show you the kind of games you can do to teach English.)
    * Some tips for studying Japanese (From the Japan Foundation)
    * Advice on packing/ settling in/ teaching/ money matters etc.
    * Advice on how to make the most of your time in Japan, and how to use JET as a step into your future career.
    * Open question time! We will give you honest answers to any questions that might be difficult to ask during the main orientation.

We will probably head to a pub after the event...so you will be welcome to join ex-JETs for an informal drink as well.

Date: 14th July
    Time: 1pm - 4pm
    Venue: The Japan Foundation, London (the closest tube is Russell Square)
    For more information, and a map to the venue:
    http://www.jetaa.org.uk/events/qa-day-f ... s-parents/

Hopefully we will see plenty of you there.

*Please let us know if you intend to come, so we can ensure we provide enough chairs and refreshments!!