Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Japanese Questions

  1. #1
    Senior Member Eudox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Japanese Questions

    Ask your Japanese questions here - saves starting a new thread for everything.

    I learnt 面白い as interesting. After being here for a couple of months, it seems to also be used for "funny" and "have a romantic interest in". Can anyone confirm or deny?

  2. #2
    Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cabbage, cabbage, cabbage, CRANE!
    Posts
    2,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eudox View Post
    Ask your Japanese questions here - saves starting a new thread for everything.

    I learnt 面白い as interesting. After being here for a couple of months, it seems to also be used for "funny" and "have a romantic interest in". Can anyone confirm or deny?
    I know that it can be used as interesting or funny, but I haven't heard of it being used in a romantic context. Of course, I can't think of a situation where I would have heard it being used in that context either.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Eudox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: Japanese Questions

    I've had a couple of situations I can use as examples...

    A student asked me something along the lines of (I can't remember exactly, and my japanese sucks, so this is probably poor japanese), "先生たちは、どちら面白い?”. When I answered, "皆面白い”, they giggled hysterically. (This was also after asking if two of my female JTEs were "面白い”.

    When I went out with some of the teachers, one of the younger male teachers asked me if one of my JTEs (K-sensei, incidentally), was "面白い”. He was delighted when I said yes (in the way that someone would be delighted if you said that you fancied one of their friends).

  4. #4

    Default Re: Japanese Questions

    Means having a romantic interest? Not to my knowledge.

    In "textbook Japanese" land I learned that it meant "interesting" like as in an interesting movie or situation, BUT to not use it when describing people because it implied that they were a bit "strange." But as we all probably know by now, the textbooks aren't always accurate or go into slang uses. So, maybe.
    Last edited by MixedNuts; November 12th, 2011 at 19:10.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Eudox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: Japanese Questions

    Yeah, it gets pretty annoying at times actually. I never learnt "とか", which is used all the time. I haven't heard "や" used once. I'm guessing that regional variations are an issue as well.

    After searching through random uses of 面白い, the closest I've found is

    彼は本当に面白いやつだ。
    He is a very intriguing man.

    Still pretty close to interesting, but it is more along the lines of what I was thinking. I'll ask a Jeeperneez person at some point.
    Last edited by Eudox; November 12th, 2011 at 22:12.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Japanese Questions

    It's because they're children, they'll take whomever you say is 面白い as someone you want to bone. It doesn't actually have anything to do with romantic interest in so far as the English word 'interesting' does. I can say "I find you interesting." which can perhaps relay some sort of interest but it doesn't have the inherent meaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    140

    Default Re: Japanese Questions

    Can anyone suggest how to figure out where words separate from their endings or even from other words?

    I was playing a children's DS game in Japanese to practice, but I get coming across giant blobs of text like somethingsomethingnamaenootokosomething. Also plenty of words that don't have a dictionary entry like しんじらない (my guess, "can't believe it"), though it eventually linked to 信じる (to believe) to hint that I'm right or at least close.

  8. #8
    VIP UPGRAYEDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    4,158

    Default

    Just learn how verbs are conjugated. A little guess work from context helps too.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MixedNuts View Post
    Means having a romantic interest? Not to my knowledge.

    In "textbook Japanese" land I learned that it meant "interesting" like as in an interesting movie or situation, BUT to not use it when describing people because it implied that they were a bit "strange." But as we all probably know by now, the textbooks aren't always accurate or go into slang uses. So, maybe.
    I hadn't heard this but actually I have an example that probably supports this.

    So there's this slightly strange girl who acts as my English club's comedian. She basically tells, as far as I can tell, risque Japanese jokes, or just tells weird stories or w/e. Or at least she'll say something and the entire group will break down into shocked laughter.

    The kids will always explain (once they've calmed down) "She is...mmm... very interesting". So I'm guessing if a person is "面白い" then they are a little bit strange/different/weird.

  10. #10
    disobedient avocado Lianwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    INAKA
    Posts
    6,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kewne View Post
    Can anyone suggest how to figure out where words separate from their endings or even from other words?

    I was playing a children's DS game in Japanese to practice, but I get coming across giant blobs of text like somethingsomethingnamaenootokosomething. Also plenty of words that don't have a dictionary entry like しんじらない (my guess, "can't believe it"), though it eventually linked to 信じる (to believe) to hint that I'm right or at least close.
    Some iPod apps (the one I have cost 2.99USD when I bought it) will actually take the text that you enter (but you have to be able to read it) and break down the word for you.

    Mine is Japanese copyright 2008-2010 codefromtokyo

    I`m not sure if Kotoba (another app) breaks down the word even if it`s conjugated, but that`s a free app if you don`t feel like shelling out money.

    Learning how the word conjugates too is also a good way to quickly look them up. I just like using my Japanese app because it breaks down the conjugation (I`m lazy, and if it`s a word I want to study I can file it away in the app`s flash card mode).
    Last edited by Lianwen; December 15th, 2011 at 13:41.

  11. #11
    Sociopathic Scroogemcduck MJN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,274

    Default Re: Japanese Questions

    Can we have a "Lets cheat on the JET monthly tests" thread to share answers, or would that be frowned upon?

  12. #12
    disobedient avocado Lianwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    INAKA
    Posts
    6,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Can we have a "Lets cheat on the JET monthly tests" thread to share answers, or would that be frowned upon?
    *cough* I support it. Some of those questions were BS. I asked for help on two of them, and literally the whole staffroom was up in arms debating about what the correct answer was.

    Too bad we can`t split up the tests in some way, everyone answers their assigned questions and we explain how we got to that answer as the correct answer.I`d rather read notes on why C is the correct answer, than be told C is the correct answer and have to sit there trying to figure it out.

    I mean, unless when we get the results back it does explain why C is the correct answer, and not A? Does anyone know?

  13. #13
    Sociopathic Scroogemcduck MJN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,274

    Default Re: Japanese Questions

    Yes! exactly!

    I got a flat answer from -everyone- that there were 2 correct answers for a question in the Intermediate test, book 1, and there's one in Book 2 that straight up doesn't make sense to any native Japanese here. The Language teacher had to look something up before informing me that one answer was technically correct, but never to use it because it sounds retarded.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Eudox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Yes! exactly!

    I got a flat answer from -everyone- that there were 2 correct answers for a question in the Intermediate test, book 1, and there's one in Book 2 that straight up doesn't make sense to any native Japanese here. The Language teacher had to look something up before informing me that one answer was technically correct, but never to use it because it sounds retarded.
    This is just languages in general, I think. I'm only now starting to come to terms with it for Japanese (it used to INFURIATE me that I had learned stuff that was useless).

    Looking at it from the english side - aren't you always telling your JTEs how things are technically correct but are never used? I know I am. I'm guessing it's because the 'technically correct' is easier to explain as a hard and fast rule, which can be used in many different situations. However, it doesn't mean that one particular use is actually ever said.

  15. #15
    disobedient avocado Lianwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    INAKA
    Posts
    6,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    The Language teacher had to look something up before informing me that one answer was technically correct, but never to use it because it sounds retarded.
    This. I`m doing advanced, and I needed help with understanding the wording of one question for Book 1`s test, so I figured the actual Japanese teachers would be able to help, but one school`s teacher got a different answer from my other school`s teacher, but both their explanations made sense. I went with the first one`s answer, but I`m sooo confused. I also have to get through the mandatory `Woooow, Lianwen-sensei! You study Japanese very hard and you can read kanji.` bs first if I even want any help, so I`d rather consult with peers first before doing the `please help me` song and dance.

  16. #16
    Sociopathic Scroogemcduck MJN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    This. I`m doing advanced, and I needed help with understanding the wording of one question for Book 1`s test, so I figured the actual Japanese teachers would be able to help, but one school`s teacher got a different answer from my other school`s teacher, but both their explanations made sense. I went with the first one`s answer, but I`m sooo confused. I also have to get through the mandatory `Woooow, Lianwen-sensei! You study Japanese very hard and you can read kanji.` bs first if I even want any help, so I`d rather consult with peers first before doing the `please help me` song and dance.
    I'm actually interested to know the Advanced level. I pretty much breazed through the first book of intermediate (inb4 all wrong), second is pretty much done and will be when I get off my fat arse to finish it, some of the questions are getting to me a bit.

    I only picked intermediate because I wasn't sure my level, really. I didn't bother to check for the course because it didn't offer anything major, but I'm looking to potentially sit the N2 JLPT next Summer. Although worried im biting off more than I can chew, I know my grammar is tragic, but it's made up for with a super duper Kanji recognition. (yes heisig, yes I like it, sod you all) I'm just hoping 6-7 months of study will improve my Japanese somewhat.
    Last edited by MJN; December 15th, 2011 at 16:01.

  17. #17
    disobedient avocado Lianwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    INAKA
    Posts
    6,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    I'm actually interested to know the Advanced level. I pretty much breazed through the first book of intermediate (inb4 all wrong), second is pretty much done and will be when I get off my fat arse to finish it, some of the questions are getting to me a bit.

    I only picked intermediate because I wasn't sure my level, really. I didn't bother to check for the course because it didn't offer anything major, but I'm looking to potentially sit the N2 JLPT next Summer. Although worried im biting off more than I can chew, I know my grammar is tragic, but it's made up for with a super duper Kanji recognition. (yes heisig, yes I like it, sod you all) I'm just hoping 6-7 months of study will improve my Japanese somewhat.
    Well, the advanced level hasn`t been too much work so far. I mean, it sucks that some of the example sentences are horrible and that some of the test questions just don`t make sense, but I haven`t been the only one with problems who`s taking the advanced course, so I`m a bit reassured.

    I was thinking intermediate, but when I was looking over the grammar points and realized I already knew them from Genki, I figured that doing something a bit more challenging would be better in the long run.

    What`s really been helping though, is I`m using Tobira`s Gateway to Advanced Japanese for Intermediate Level Japanese book, and it has better explanations for grammer and an online resources section that`s actually pretty useful. It`s a book for an intermediate level, so I`m wondering how advanced the course CLAIR provides is when so many of the grammar points I`m able to match up in my intermediate text.

    I`d like to sit N2, but I`m the complete opposite. I can recognize many kanji and be able to catch the context, but actually writing the kanji is like me drawing a stick man and saying it`s Japanese.

    I`d say pick up Tobira or other intermediate text and start flipping through it if you`re bored.

  18. #18
    Sociopathic Scroogemcduck MJN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,274

    Default Re: Japanese Questions

    Actually been using the Somatome books or whatevert they are called. I'm going through both the N3 and N2 grammar ones, they actually seem to be pretty useful, regardless of studying for an exam or not (i.e. I can use the examples in normal conversation)

    I'll take the reccomendations, though. As I say my grammar is tragic, it needs the improvement.

    The one drawback I have against the Heisig method is that I can recognise and write a lot of Kanji I don't actually know the reading of - I keep reading Japanese text, but with a pause where I just fit an English word in my head. I know what it means, I don't know how to say it.

    The other problem I have, because of my poor grammar, is that I can read some sentences completly, understand every word, but not actually understand the sentence as a whole. I'm really noticing this playing vidya games in Japanese.
    Last edited by MJN; December 15th, 2011 at 16:33.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Yes! exactly!
    Language teacher had to look something up before informing me that one answer was technically correct, but never to use it because it sounds retarded.
    I have to tell my students this all the time. Actually there are plenty of times where they have a multiple choice test (And these are their university exam doodads, not random nonsense I wrote) and there are answers I have to look up in the textbook because there are two technically correct answers and to answer "correctly" you have to guess what the examiner had in his head.

  20. #20
    disobedient avocado Lianwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    INAKA
    Posts
    6,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    Lucky for you, Lianwen, JLPT has no writing portion. You just gotta be able to recognize readings.
    Seriously? I haven't been seriously focused on actually taking the JLPT (it's more of passing interest/maybe goal to try either N3 or N2), but this is really nice to know.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •