Thread: The "poetry" lesson in New Horizon

Default The "poetry" lesson in New Horizon

My JTE asked me to create a lesson with the poetry Multi-writing plus of new horizon. My main concerns are getting the students who don't care to at least give it a shot (I'm thinking of maybe having their fellow students decide a punishment?), and having it fill up a full 45-minute class. The creative assignments we've tried giving to our third-years have never gone very well, and usually end up dragging on with me prodding and saying "Don't give up!" and half-finishing the activity for several of the students.

Any brilliant ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    My JTE asked me to create a lesson with the poetry Multi-writing plus of new horizon. My main concerns are getting the students who don't care to at least give it a shot (I'm thinking of maybe having their fellow students decide a punishment?), and having it fill up a full 45-minute class. The creative assignments we've tried giving to our third-years have never gone very well, and usually end up dragging on with me prodding and saying "Don't give up!" and half-finishing the activity for several of the students.

Any brilliant ideas?
    I can't speak for the New Horizon lesson as I've never seen it. What type of poetry?

One of my JTEs used to make his low level class write a haiku out in Japanese (because being Japanese students even they knew how to do that) and then they had to translate it into English. From a haiku perspective it didn't really work that well, as the number of syllables with Japanese doesn't add up the same with its English translation. But it was a start and it kept them doing something.

Default Re: The "poetry" lesson in New Horizon

You'd be surprised how long it takes them to write their own shit. I think my JTE usually allots at least 20 minutes of time to do the activity itself. Then you can make them all present 'em one by one which'll probably take at least 10 minutes depending on how many kids there are. If your JTE doesn't have one already make a deck of cards of their student numbers and draw at random (you first, then the kid who gets picked pulls the next, they eat it up and it also takes time as they try to get their friends' numbers). The first 15, 20 can be for vocab, introducing the material, showing examples, etc., can't really remember what all is on that page in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

You'd be surprised how long it takes elementary kids to cut the cards out of Eigo Note.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

Hmmm maybe I will try the drawing random numbers thing. The poem examples in the book are really godawful, but the form was simple enought that all but four or five students were able to at least get something down when we tried it yesterday. I keep getting mixed messages from my JTE, though - "We need to keep the lessons moving and put a time limit on the activities so that they don't drag on." "You're not giving the students enough time to write." "I want you to collect the assignments and check the English." "No, these won't be included in their grades." I'm glad I've lowered my expectations since I first got here.