Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JET for the second time?

Default JET for the second time?

Hi guys,

I've only seen one other poster on this forum who has done JET twice; just checking are there any others on here?

I was a participant for one year in 2003/04. Do you think this will help or hinder my application? (ie. Will they value experience or prefer newbies?) I could only stay for one year because a family member was terminally ill (I completed my contract). However, now that the 10-year gap has been lifted (UK) I'm going to apply again.

In the time since then I've studied Japanese formally and gained a TEFL. I really would love to get back and stay as long as possible.

Obviously no one can give me a definite answer on this (we all know how mysterious the selection process can be) but any words of encouragement welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by lemsip View Post
    Hi guys,

I've only seen one other poster on this forum who has done JET twice; just checking are there any others on here?

I was a participant for one year in 2003/04. Do you think this will help or hinder my application? (ie. Will they value experience or prefer newbies?) I could only stay for one year because a family member was terminally ill (I completed my contract). However, now that the 10-year gap has been lifted (UK) I'm going to apply again.

In the time since then I've studied Japanese formally and gained a TEFL. I really would love to get back and stay as long as possible.

Obviously no one can give me a definite answer on this (we all know how mysterious the selection process can be) but any words of encouragement welcome!
    In the UK application form, they have a section which you mark if you are a returning JET. Honestly, if you were accepted once, i'd imagine you can get accepted again.

Good luck.

A lady in our prefecture is doing her second stint on JET.
    She was a JET just over 10 years ago (when the rule was still implemented), she did the full 3 years the first time around, and is in her 3rd year now. She loves it and is an awesome PA because of her experience.

I think you stand a very good chance of getting accepted again, especially if you have a solid justification of your reasons for leaving after 1 year the first time.

There's a lot of benefits of having a second-timer, and I think there are quite a few JETs here now who have done JET before (the friend I mentioned above has friends who are second timers, but I don't know them personally.)

Good luck!

Thanks guys, it would mean everything to get back, so I hope I get an interview. A lot of my colleagues when I was there weren't too thrilled about the actual job but I absolutely loved it. I loved using art and music to make things more fun, and I'd love the chance to work in some elementary schools given the opportunity. Thanks again.

Good Luck Lemsip!

I spoke to the folks at the Embassy about this a couple of times...it does sound like they might grill you more intently during the interview if you are applying to return on JET.

I am pretty sure that you need to think of extra reasons why you would like to go back to Japan as a JET, and why you think you would be better as a JET for a second time... These ideas are all off the top of my head:

* Maybe mention that you enjoyed helping out during orientations/ mid year seminars - even if you didn't, say you did!
    * Mention that you would be happy to help other JETs settle in? /Be interested in the PA role
    * You have improved Japanese so that you can communicate better with JTEs?
    * (This will sound really cheesey) But you you could say that your time on JET has made you look and question your own culture, and given you more of an interest in UK Culture. You would like the chance to introduce more of this to Japanese School Children???

You basically need to make yourself sound like a super-JET.

A friend of a friend re-applied last year, and I got some decent advice from an ex-PC that helped screen the London applications last year. I'll see if I can find her e-mail...hang on.

Found it.

I remember speaking with ****edited Embassy staff's name**** about this when I was doing the application screening.

Her biggest issue with 2nd time JETs is that they don't have some kind of career goal or reason for going other than, 'JET used to be really fun and I want to go and have fun again'. Also, she sees JET as a graduate job, so wonders why someone who's older would want to go back and do that again - ie they have no aspirations or goals...

Also, in an interview, I'd tell him to try to bring up what he has to offer over 1st time JETs - understand Japanese culture so can adapt quickly, have worked with JTEs, know what team teaching is about, can speak some Japanese, more mature with strong work ethic/work experience, etc. but also stress that it'll be a new experience. I think the other thing ****** had issues with were people who thought their second JET experience would be exactly the same as the first, so saying that you understand that it won't, and are looking forward to new challenges, etc. would be important.

Hope that helps.
    I removed the middle section because it was specific advice to the bloke who applied last year...I don't think it would be relevant for you.

Where are you based? If you're in London, come to the next JETAA pub night and we can help you with your application if you want.

Hi Melty, thanks so much for the reply. Yes, all the things you mentioned I was planning on bringing up if I get granted an interview - I do realise that it will be so much different this time around. I have a more deep-rooted connection with the country and my career aspirations are a lot more focused now. I'll PM you!
    Last edited by lemsip; November 17th, 2011 at 23:54.

Quote Originally Posted by lemsip View Post
    Hi Melty, thanks so much for the reply. Yes, all the things you mentioned I was planning on bringing up if I get granted an interview - I do realise that it will be so much different this time around. I have a more deep-rooted connection with the country and my career aspirations are a lot more focused now. Is there a PM function where I could send you some more thoughts? Or do I need a certain amount of posts? My email is jarpunk at hotmail dot com if you'd be willing for me to send you an email.
    It sounds like you'll be fine!!
    I'll e-mail now so you have my addy.

Thanks for the help Melty!
    And good luck to everyone applying ^_^

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Default Re: JET for the second time?

What would be cool is if having finished 5 years, if I applied again next year i could start on the high end of the new pay scale like a year 6-10 JET. If that were an option i may actually apply - ¥3,900,000 = $50,000 plus at the current exchange rate which is just a little bit more than i am making here.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

I wouldn`t mention the part about staying forever, lol.

But, Group A arrivals this year had at least 2 returning JETs, and they def seemed like they had their heads on their shoulders.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

A friend of mine is on his second run. Came back with his family and is using JET as a way to get himself off the ground here. Solid guy.

Just thought I'd put this thread to bed in case anyone else is in my position in the future. and thinking of applying for a second stint.

I didn't get an interview - I thought my application was solid, but there must have been a lot of good candidates this year. I had no experience at all in 2003 when I was accepted first time around, I hadn't even left the country before - so maybe they are giving similar people the opportunity.

Best of luck everyone. I had a great experience on JET and you will too. I received a job offer in Tokyo this morning, so now I have to decide whether to take it.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

of course you'll take it, lemsip! very surprised you didn't get an interview.
    to the OP - be ready to answer "why JET again when you could probably easily get a job in japan on your own?"
    i talked about having "unfinished business" , such as wanting to be a TOA, wanting to present at seminars, wanting to further sister-school relationships etc.
    Good luck!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    of course you'll take it, lemsip! very surprised you didn't get an interview.
    to the OP - be ready to answer "why JET again when you could probably easily get a job in japan on your own?"
    i talked about having "unfinished business" , such as wanting to be a TOA, wanting to present at seminars, wanting to further sister-school relationships etc.
    Good luck!
    ...lemsip was the op.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    ...lemsip was the op.
    A senior moment.

i meant 'original post' rather than 'original poster' but i should have just written 'your original question' or something.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

No you didn't
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

yeah, i did. but only because i've spent the past however many years thinking that 'op' meant 'original post'. i had to google it after util picked me up on it. that's probably worse.

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    to the Original Post - be ready to answer "why JET again when you could probably easily get a job in japan on your own?".......Good luck!
    Oh yes, that makes perfect sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.