Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JET for the second time?

Default Re: JET for the second time?

It does if you read punctuation, particularly the hyphen, and consider it an abbreviated form of the following:

"Speaking to the original post- xxxx"
    or
    "As to the original post- xxxx"

Perhaps that's a somewhat Commonwealth turn of phrase, however...

Wicket is a senile dingbat. Please refrain from giving her shallow avenues of feigning any degree of awareness of her surroundings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Quote Originally Posted by Prospective View Post
    It does if you read punctuation, particularly the hyphen, and consider it an abbreviated form of the following:

"Speaking to the original post- xxxx"
    or
    "As to the original post- xxxx"

Perhaps that's a somewhat Commonwealth turn of phrase, however...
    unfortunately on ITIL if you don't speak good ol' US of A "english" half of them can't understand.
    guess i'd rather be senile than just plain stupid.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    unfortunately on ITIL if you don't speak good ol' US of A "english" half of them can't understand.
    guess i'd rather be senile than just plain stupid.
    Good to see you're going for both. Ganbatte!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Always interesting to hear the differing opinions. I'm trying for my second time around. My first tour I stayed for the full three years. It was my first time out of the country, I had zero language skills, and no teaching experience. I had an amazing time though, learned WAY more about their culture than I taught about my own. I remember constantly being in awe of everything, always a new experience.

I kind of worried that applying a second time might look bad, like one of the previous posters mentioned. Why would someone want to take the "graduate" level job if they already had a career path? I worried that being "older" might seem out of place. I even wrote as much in my SoP, saying that I've already had "my turn".

Of course I'm biased, I've got an interview and I really want to go. I've got a career and a direction, as well as new goals if I were to be selected. I think one benefit of coming back a second time is that I've already been "initiated". I've been to Japan already and have "broken the seal" so to speak. I'll still be walking around with a huge grin on my face, but I'm a little more mature and can see things with a different perspective. I'm a different person than I was when I went the first time, and would end up in a totally new situation.

Second timers have a lot of advantages on paper. But everyone here knows there's that element of mystery involved in the selection process. People get chosen for many different reasons. We'll see.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just heard that we're getting our second second-timer in April...

Default Re: JET for the second time?

Just an update... I moved to Tokyo last week and I'm living in Shimokitazawa which seems to be the coolest place on earth to live. So always remember that there are still opportunities if you don't get on JET, and it may actually work out better for you location wise...
    Good luck to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by lemsip View Post
    Just an update... I moved to Tokyo last week and I'm living in Shimokitazawa which seems to be the coolest place on earth to live. So always remember that there are still opportunities if you don't get on JET, and it may actually work out better for you location wise...
    Good luck to everyone!
    If you don't mind me asking what job are you doing there and how much does it cost to live? I'm quitting JET next year and was considering staying around in Japan for a year to live somewhere interesting. Shimokitazawa is pretty much my top choice, great little place.