Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Criminal background record?

Default Criminal background record?

So I am checking the fly out early box, which requires criminal background check and medical assessment before the interviews. The FBI website gives you a sheet to print off for your fingerprints... but I'm not sure if this is something I can do myself with an ink pad or if I have to go to a professional. I've never been fingerprinted before, luckily, and I don't know where I would go. A police station? I'm not sure how accurate it needs be, it seems like it'd be so easy to just do it yourself. o_o

The FBI website says
    "If possible, have your fingerprints taken by a fingerprinting technician. This service may be available at a law enforcement agency."

Does that mean, "if not, DIY!"?
    Last edited by Lychee; November 17th, 2011 at 09:38.

Default Re: Criminal background record?

You could do it your self since they provide the form needed to do it but its difficult. I tried and failed. I really suggest going to your local law enforcement to get it do, there's a high chance they'll have a digital finger printing station.

But you need to get the background check by January 30th and there's currently a 2 month wait, maybe more. The FBI guy told me back in October (the 17th, IIRC) that it was a 2 month turn around estimate. You're playing with fire so you better get it done now and not wait till you mail out your application.
    Last edited by Merkypie; November 17th, 2011 at 09:42.

How did you fail? Just couldn't get them to look clear enough or they sent them back? I have everything ready to send out but if I can get out of having to go down to the police station it'd rock. Do they charge to fingerprint you?

Yes they do charge. It only cost me like $15.

I failed as in I got ink all over me, the paper and the table. Its too messy to do on your own.

They charged me $5 for my prints.

hm that's not bad... might as well go in there and do it right.

I went to my local sheriff's dept. with the form; they did it for free. Even gave me a wet-nap to clean off the ink afterwards. Just need to send it in now.

Do NOT do it yourself. I paid for two copies because the lady recommended it, and it was worth it. The prints she took from me were FAR clearer than anything I had attempted myself. $15 a pop.

Be reasonably hydrated, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Yeahhh not gonna try it myself, heh. sounds messy and possibly not even passable. Guess I'm hopping to the police station tomorrow!

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

I had the worst time with fingerprints (all done by law enforcement people) and had to keep re-submitting my background check request up until I left. I would suggest to not only go to a law enforcement place for it, but to also try to get them done electronically.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkypie View Post
    I tried and failed.
    ??

Now roll it over there.
    Roll it over!
    Press it on. - Not like that, it'll smear. Roll it over!
    Put your hand on there, asshole, or l'll break it off!
    Put it on there, dammit!
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    ??

Now roll it over there.
    Roll it over!
    Press it on. - Not like that, it'll smear. Roll it over!
    Put your hand on there, asshole, or l'll break it off!
    Put it on there, dammit!
    Rambo? Nice....

I did it myself. I'd had it done at the local police station, but the bimbo there f'ed it up like crazy, and I had this sheet full of blurry prints that I knew wouldn't fly when I sent 'em off. I bought a ink pad and tried it, but failed miserably the first time. Ink all over my hands, just like everyone else is saying.

Then, I bought a "gel" type ink pad, and got perfect results on my first try. They carry gel-type ink pads at most office supply stores. If the professionals turn out to be incompetent government employees like mine did, just do it yourself.

Edit - Hint: wrapping the fingerprinting sheet around a cylindrical object (say, a coffee can) will help you get awesome results.
    Last edited by word; November 18th, 2011 at 17:52.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

The FBI charged my credit card over a week ago... wonder if that means it is finally coming?

Anyhow... for anyone still wondering... get the prints/fbi background in NOW.
    2012 Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by mtreecorner View Post
    The FBI charged my credit card over a week ago... wonder if that means it is finally coming?

Anyhow... for anyone still wondering... get the prints/fbi background in NOW.
    FBI charged mine yesterday.

I don't know, reading back from the FBI check threads from last year's JETs, it took either one to two weeks after being charged.

Also, agreed. Can't stress it enough about getting those FBI background checks done enough!

UK applicants don't have the option of flying out early do they?
    Last edited by lemsip; November 19th, 2011 at 01:56.

I don't think so... The official UK JET website should have that info...

Sent mine in today.. the police station I went to didn't have the option to do it electronically, but the prints they took looked pretty clear... I think? Eep. Hope it was enough, there was another girl there who'd had to come back because they wouldn't accept hers. Well... worst case scenario I'm not eligible to leave early.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkypie View Post
    I don't think so... The official UK JET website should have that info...
    The official UK JET website, doesn't even mention that the pay went down this year. It was in the application instructions for UK people, before anyone gets excited though.

It's correct that UK applicants don't have that option though.
    Last edited by Kewne; November 27th, 2011 at 07:52.

Read more of the thread; guess this wouldn`t apply now, but still useful info for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bekah View Post
    How did you fail? Just couldn't get them to look clear enough or they sent them back? I have everything ready to send out but if I can get out of having to go down to the police station it'd rock. Do they charge to fingerprint you?
    If you`re super pressed for time, you can do electronic finger printing at a police station that does them (usually in larger cities). I`m pretty sure you get almost instant results, as if the finger prints aren`t good they can redo them, and it goes instantly to the FBI and is already in their computers to check. However, it`ll run you at least 100$, but the nice part is you don`t have to worry about your prints being rejected.
    Last edited by Lianwen; November 28th, 2011 at 10:29.