Thread: Freaking Out! Reference question

Default Freaking Out! Reference question

I just found out that one of my references (professional) is apparently unable to use anything identifying her company (letterhead, email, phone number, etc). It's against company policy. (wtf?) She wrote me a very nice recommendation and I would love to use it, but is this a deal-breaker? She was my mentor for my current teaching position and is very knowledgeable about my abilities. As I look at the current rec, though, it just screams unprofessional and looks like a family friend wrote it. She lists her gmail, personal cellphone, and home address and it's written on plain white paper.

Of course I find this out now...

Advice?

Default Re: Freaking Out! Reference question

There was something on the official forums about this, but I think the solution was to have the reference include a note as to why they could not use a professional letterhead identifying them with the company in which they work for.

I suggest searching the official forums for the right answer though.

Also don't be afraid to email your consulate. I emailed them with a question about references and they responded promptly. They're understanding people, and I'm sure they can give advice.

Thanks for the replies.

I called the DC Consulate and they said as long as the reference includes a reason for why they are unable to use letterhead paper as well as a business card, they will accept the letter.

Sigh of relief!

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

wouldn't a business card identify the company just the same as letter head??

are you working for the CIA??? I know I know you can not confirm nor deny that. =)
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Haha.

I got permission from my supervisor to use a business card. How silly is that? Oh, bureaucracy...

I understand how you feel! My reference is incredible, a recommendation from her will carry a lot of weight... but she did not follow the instructions and placed her documents into two different envelopes (one for the original and one for the two copies). However, according to the official website, it will not affect you terribly if a person writing a recommendation for you makes a mistake/does not follow the rules to the letter. As long as you do not tamper with the letter, then I think they will be understanding.

I think as long as you explain (as has been stated) with a little note or something, then you should be fine. She will probably say in her recommendation what her relationship to you is, and so I think they know that she is related to you in a professionally more than personally.