Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching in Georgia

Default Teaching in Georgia

I searched through this forum and was not able to find anything about teaching in Georgia.

I found this program through GreenHeart Travel in which one can teach in Georgia. It has some benefits that areThe round-trip airfare is covered and, though you aren't paid a salary, you live with a host family and are given a stipend to live on.

Here's the link to their website: http://www.cci-exchange.com/teach/georgia.aspx

This is what is listed on the website:Benefits:
    • A pre-paid round trip flight to the Republic of Georgia
    • An additional round trip flight and 24 days of paid vacation during winter or summer break (for one year/two full semester contracts only - see Teaching Term Options)
    • Host family accommodation and meals
    • National Georgian medical insurance
    • $500 Lari (approximately USD$275) monthly stipend*
    • Step-by-step guidance and support throughout application process, including pre-departure orientation
    • One week orientation in the capital city of T'bilisi, including Georgian language, culture, history instruction, and basic ESL training/teaching methodology
    • No program fee. Optional additional travel insurance can be purchased through Greenheart Travel
    • A TEFL Certificate course is offered through Greenheart Travel at a discount for those who are interested in earning a TEFL certification prior to departure for Georgia.
    • Visa assistance is provided to volunteers by the Ministry of Education upon arrival
    • A complete immersion experience in a country rich in beauty, history and culture
    *Volunteers pay 100 Lari per month (~$55 USD) to their host family to help cover the expenses of their food and utilities

Plus, if my mother protests, then I can always say, "But Mom, I'll just be in Georgia!" (Which is only funny given that I live a few hours drive from the US state- also called Georgia)

It seems too good to be true, and I know that things which seem too good to be true often are... So, I was wondering if anyone else has heard about this programme?

Default Re: Teaching in Georgia

It's an okay program if you're not looking to earn any money for savings/loans. Sounds like a good gap year. I think I did know someone who did this though. Emphasis on did. I haven't heard from him in ages, so I have no clue if he's even alive.

Haha Well, Georgia has been having some issues with Russia, so I suppose there is always the chance that I will kidnapped by the Russian government with the charge of being an American spy... but that is to be expected.

If I have to die, then I would prefer it at least be in an interesting way in another country.

I just have never heard of this programme, but it seems to actually be connected directly with the Georgian government- which is good. I suppose I'll write directly to the Georgian embassy in my country and ask them their opinion of the programme.

I guess one thing that I am kind of skeptical about is the fact that this organization also works with the Disney-China company and I have heard sketchy things about that.

heh, this was discussed on another forum a few months back. It does indeed look....risky.
    Maybe I'm just being a bit of a racist but I've heard bad things about that area.
    And of course the sucky pay. And learning Georgian isn't exactly something useful.

Looked into that a while back, if you want an interesting experience go for it. The company seem reputable from what i could gather.

Plus if you are looking for a government job after college i definitely think there will be a lot more Japanese then goergian speakers. Might actually give you an up.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

SUMOBOY This guy worked in Georiga after Japan (before japan??) and while he has not posted on here in ages he still occasionally posts on Japanistan. I bet he could give you some good info.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

...nope i was wrong, it was Hungary, but thats pretty much the same isn't it??
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Oh dear Lord, I'm frightened for myself... I've never heard of Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by lexa1010 View Post
    Oh dear Lord, I'm frightened for myself... I've never heard of Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

you've not heard of a country that went to war with russia only 3 years ago? I'm guessing you failed your general studies A-level?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

A levels?! General Studies?! 3 years ago?! That explains everything. I was in the middle of my degree getting wasted.

you didnt have a tv in university? what sort of mickey mouse education did you get if you couldn't watch countdown and bargin hunt everyday?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

they broke through the beijing olympics to bring that news in wtf

I was in the middle of my degree getting wasted.
    getting wasted.
    That explains everything.
    Yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

Don't smile too much; they teach geography in elementary school. Wasted then too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I think we now know why lexa1010 is posting to the alternatives to jet forum....

Oh dear, I can't even make fun of myself!

Just take the beatings and smile. Eventually you'll become a productive member of society and start dishing them out.

Or you'll be the new LGJ. But at least then you get an award.
    Last edited by greengoo; January 11th, 2012 at 14:12.
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

Quote Originally Posted by greengoo View Post
    Just take the beatings and smile. Eventually you'll become a productive member of society and start dishing them out.

Or you'll be the new LGJ. But at least then you get an award.
    Will do, thanks!