Thread: Ideas for a lesson without learning much new material?

Default Ideas for a lesson without learning much new material?

Basically I have to do a class that not every group in the year will do. I want to make something that's a little more relaxed than usual, and I can't introduce much new material (or it should be very unusual/slangy language or something) as the teacher will want anything serious to be put on the test, which is what we need to avoid.

The classes are 1st year SHS, about 40 students per small classroom (ugh) so anything involving a lot of movement is kind of impossible. Moving around in a non-organised way has generally led to chaos in the classroom as the kids just naturally traffic jam in that way only Japanese people know how. Anything which requires students to come up one by one is kind of bad too since that means 39 students are unoccupied. The kids are a bit more chatty than average academic high schools I would guess, so I can't rely on them sitting in stunned silence unless I keep them working or busy otherwise.

Ideally I'd like to make them either be forced to do a lot of English speaking (if I could jump in and out of the activity that'd be great too) or compose something in English that is within their ability but doesn't require them to regurgitate learned phrases.

General English ability level is fairly average for an academic high school I'd say. The main problem is the variance between the high level kids (there are some really good ones) and the low level kids.

I'll think of some stuff of my own but I just got told this and have to do it on Monday so I thought I'd post here to get the most feedback before I have to give in my lesson plan on Friday. Thanks in advance!

Play the Who Am I? Game. Pick a person that the kids are going to know. If they're fairly competent you can start them off cold 20 questions style, or you can give them three starter hints if not. They can play it in groups or as a class with you up front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

Default Re: Ideas for a lesson without learning much new material?

Good idea but they've already kind of done the same thing when we did a lesson on describing people. I mean it'd be a little different but I think they'd get bored pretty fast. Maybe have it as a backup...

Get them in groups of 3 or 4 and give each group a photo of someone random. (No one they would know, obscure celebs or just friends.) have them work together to write a 3-4 sentence description ofwho they think the person is, etc. Make them present it and ask a question to each group. It'll kill like 20-30 minutes, then try the WhoAmI game as a filler at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Get them in groups of 3 or 4 and give each group a photo of someone random. (No one they would know, obscure celebs or just friends.) have them work together to write a 3-4 sentence description ofwho they think the person is, etc. Make them present it and ask a question to each group. It'll kill like 20-30 minutes, then try the WhoAmI game as a filler at the end.

Hmm I did one lesson where I used pictures of Yui, Arashi, Harry Potter, Avril Lavigne, Barack Obama and... someone else I already forgot. Have they even heard of anyone else?

Good idea though, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    Why use pictures when the real deal is right in front of them?
    this.