Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Money - How much is enough? Max

Default Money - How much is enough? Max

So I guess this is a question that gets asked a lot (I've seen it at least a few times) and the answer is ESID, but I might be in the position where I'll need to figure out how much I need to keep of my savings soon.

Can anyone give me estimates about how much I'd need until payday in the worst case scenario? Like living in a city, with key money, no subsidised apart, the BOE not agreeing to lend any money, needing a car (though perhaps it'd be less likely in a city), etc.
    Last edited by Kewne; December 21st, 2011 at 21:46.

Worst case scenario: ¥300,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Default Re: Money - How much is enough? Max

I bought over 450000 but 300000 of that went on a car
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Ouch, I didn't even think of a car and how expensive that it.

If you're a private and depending on your placement you could need up to 500,000 yen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

I brought about 200000 yen and had no problems, but my BOE didn't ask me for rent or anything until after my first payday. I also didn't start getting charged for utilities until after my first payday. I was pretty lucky with this though and I have heard of other people who had to pay for stuff immediately.

I appreciate these answers, but I don't like how they keep going up and up.

Assuming that it's 500,000 yen, that'd be just over £4000 UK money. I'm suddenly glad I didn't do JET last year, before I saved up from my previous job.

of course in those days you could ride the shink to osaka and back for 100yen and still have change left for a steak dinner at the 4 seasons. If you are buying a car and paying key money you could be hitting gez's 500000. Especially if its not a furnished apartment and you need to get washing machines and beds and jazz
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

If you're pressed for $, you should find out if you REALLY need a car. If you're in any sort of city, it may be possible to live relatively comfortably without one. It might be unpleasant but doable if you end up being short on funds.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    It might be unpleasant but doable if you end up being short on funds.
    leave how miss_doitsu funded her education out of this

i brought 400,000 and spent a bit more than half on a car..and that included paying for the apartment crap etc
    How are you? Yes yes!

The husband and I brought 250,000 and used it up rather quickly... also ended up taking some money out of our American bank account to help cover the costs of my car. The more you save up, the easier it is to settle in.

I brought 200,000ish, and ended up needing only about 130,000 till my first paycheck. And I was pretty much the opposite of somewho who was living conservatively, so yea...depends on what you have available to you when you first get here I guess.

Thanks all who answered. From the sound of it, it might be best to have about 500,000 earmarked for then in case of the worst situation, but not actually take all of it and try avoid costs where possible.

In my recent holiday experience, one of the best exchange rates I got was by withdrawing money from my ATM card at 7-11 in Japan. I plan on taking nothing and withdrawing money as I need it, unless I have a particularly rural placement, in which case I'd probably just do a big withdrawal at the Tokyo Orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospective View Post
    In my recent holiday experience, one of the best exchange rates I got was by withdrawing money from my ATM card at 7-11 in Japan. I plan on taking nothing and withdrawing money as I need it, unless I have a particularly rural placement, in which case I'd probably just do a big withdrawal at the Tokyo Orientation.
    I think you may have missed a point or three...

that number is super worst case.
    I brought £2000ish and I was perfectly fine- didn't even have to get money out of the bank after my first payday as I still had plenty left.

I brought £1000 on my first stint in 2003 and it was fine.

That's like a decade ago. With inflation that 1000 is like 1800 ~ 2500.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkypie View Post
    That's like a decade ago. With inflation that 1000 is like 1800 ~ 2500.
    Ahaha exactly what I was thinking. But yeah, I'm reasonably inaka with low rent and no key money. I brought 100,000 yen with me (I'd already paid 150,000 for my car), and I had to borrow/use my credit card for another 70,000 or so.