Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Money - How much is enough? Max

Default Re: Money - How much is enough? Max

I brought 150,000 yen and only spend maybe 50,000.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudox View Post
    I think you may have missed a point or three...
    Considering some people were counting the money they "have" as separate from the money they "bring", I don't think so.

I was just pointing out that one can access any funds they have saved in a home account easily.

As for how much one should have saved, well more is always better, as with any savings... The necessary amount seems to be no more than ¥500,000.

Sorry if my tangential information didn't seem to fit the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudox View Post
    Ahaha exactly what I was thinking. But yeah, I'm reasonably inaka with low rent and no key money. I brought 100,000 yen with me (I'd already paid 150,000 for my car), and I had to borrow/use my credit card for another 70,000 or so.
    To be fair, I revisited Japan for a month in 2008 and most things still cost the same. But aye, bring as much as you can. 500k seems way excessive though. Maybe if you're going off your own bat - but with JET there's no way you need that much.
    Last edited by lemsip; December 24th, 2011 at 22:56.

I brought ¥230,000 and only spent about ¥50,000 of it before my first paycheck. ¥500,000 seems high to me but I suppose it doesn't hurt to be careful. Once you get in contact with your pred you can find out how much you're really going to need.

Yeah, it depends if you're counting buying a car etc. 500k is a buttload for general living expenses, but if you need to buy a car and pay key money (and work for interac) then you may need that much.

I took 90,000 and thought it was way too much - my BOE got my car for me and I started my 2-month repayment from my first paycheck.

I brought over about Y150,000. Y60,000 went to my car. I managed a'ok. Don't always guarantee you can access money from home. None of my cards work here (even my visa debit)...oh and please for the love of sweet baby Jesus check your credit card expiry. I misread mine and it expired a day after I arrived. Whoops
    tabemoto...: Cooking in southern Japan

If your credit card is set to expire, say, a few months after you get to Japan, you can renew it early, yes? (I'm almost certain this is a stupid question)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterofpeace View Post
    If your credit card is set to expire, say, a few months after you get to Japan, you can renew it early, yes? (I'm almost certain this is a stupid question)
    This may depend on your bank, but I can't imagine a bank saying no to doing this. I did this when I went abroad without problems.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterofpeace View Post
    Mine expired this September. While I hate Citibank usually, they did next day (I actually received them the day after, however, but it was still suuuper quick) deliver my new cards to me in Japan, on their dime, not mine. I just called and explained my situation.

I was an idiot and brought $200, and assumed I could pull the rest out when I got to Japan. My card didn't like that idea though, and the magnetic strip stopped working once I arrived.

Very luckily, my prefecture (Tokyo) gave a 150,000 yen "move-in bonus."
    "The complex Japanese language and its writing system are inventions of the devil, designed to prevent the spread of Gospel."
    -Francis Xavier (1506-1552)

I brought $2000 US, and regret bringing that much. It was totally overkill, and I feel like I spent most of it simply because I had monopoly money magically in my hands.

Do yourself a MASSIVE favor, try to get some stuff second hand (fridge, couch, tables, etc) before you go and blow your "free money" pile. After that, slowly buy the things you REALLY want after thinking it through (bed, TV, etc).
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

I brought about 300,000 yen and blew threw it really quick. Had to use almost all of it on my pred's car and then my BOE asked me for 40,000 to 70,000 YEN for various expenses pretty early on when I arrived. So in reality, what I brought was not even enough, but my placement is pretty far away from any big city and in a really bad winter area so a nice car is required. A kei car would be a deathtrap here.
    That's the best thing I ever saw!

I am a current ALT in Shizuoka prefecture. I live with my boyfriend in a 3 room apt. When we arrived our place was TOTALLY empty. Nothing but a few light bulbs and a roll of tp. You might be luckier and have all the stuff from all the JETs before you, but it might all be crap.

Bring as much money as you can. When you arrive in August you'll want to travel and keep cool. It will take a whole month before you get paid and your money runs out faster than you think.

If you are lucky, you'll have a great predecessor who'll give you all the information you need and leave stuff behind for you to have.

Good luck!

I think I lucked out, but I was panicking when I started thinking about saving money to go. I was unemployed at the time (had just quit my awful, soul-crushing job), and had about $1000 put away with a few months to go in the states.

I kept thinking, "What about cars?!", "What about key money and deposit?" and things like that.

I arrived in Japan with $600 in my checking account back home (I withdrew it at a 7-Eleven ATM over time. This and Post Office ATMs seemed to be the best rate, and had negligable fees). I was terrified.

Then everything came together. The rent on my apartment was 25,500 yen a month, with no deposit and no key money (My BOE owned the building), and my first month's rent wasn't due until my first paycheck. The place was furnished (although it was annoyingly missing some things) and my BoE provided a brand-new rice cooker, TWO brand new futons, and dozens of other little things. I even had enough rice left over from my pred to last for 2 months.

As for a car, I found out I really - really - didn't need one. Nobody in the area drove, and I lived across the street from a major train station. I wasn't allowed to drive to/from my schools anyway.

I ended up spending less than 40,000 yen in my first month, mostly because I was stingy as hell and people were taking me out to eat and treating me left and right.

So yeah, ESID and all that. One of my friends a few town over was basically billed by his BoE for ten man the day he arrived.

Try to contact your supervisor or your CIR if the town has one before you arrive. They can usually give you a good idea. My contract had a lot of information on that sort of thing, too (Like, you can have a car, but nobody else does and you can't use it for work).