Thread: Post-JET Taxes [USA]

Default Post-JET Taxes (USA)

Do we have to pay a crap ton of taxes because we didn't meet the 330 days in Japan test for 2011?
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Default Re: Post-JET Taxes (USA)

How long we're you in japan? The 330 deal is only for thefirst year. I am doing my taxes for the second time post jet now, but whn I look at last years I filled out the 2555 foreign earned income exclusion form and subtracted my jan. 1 - Aug 1 salary from total 2010 income (I was employed from 10/1 here and made like 10k) that was no where enough to pay taxes so I got everything I paid in back.....

....also my second daughter was born end of December so I could claim a second tax credit and actually got almost 2k more back than I paid in, but I am jguessing that isn't something you will need to worry about.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

Default Re: Post-JET Taxes [USA]

Reviving this because I would like an answer. Any JETs who returned last year or the year before: how did you declare your Japanese income when you paid US taxes the first year back in the US after JET? Did you have to pay income tax? If not, how did you get it exempt?

When I looked at the Kumamoto AJET tax guide, it said that the 330-day period doesn't necessarily have to align with the calendar year you're filing your taxes for, as long as it ends in that year. So from the looks of it you could claim the foreign earned income credit based on your time in Japan from August 2012 - August 2013.

Lost in a Strange Land lilyanphino's Avatar

I have already filled taxes based off that August to December time period when I filled taxes this year. Does that affect anything?

I don't think so. When you file in your first and second years, your 330-day periods can overlap (Like most American JETs probably did, I put August 2011-August 2012 for my 2011 taxes, and then January-December 2012 for my 2012 taxes)