Thread: CIR Interview Possibilities

Default CIR Interview Possibilities

Hi there lads and ladettes,

I have only today been accepted for an interview for the JET Programme for an October departure date. I've applied for both the CIR and ALT position and I was wondering if I could get some insight on what I might be asked in the CIR position. I'm guessing my language proficiency will be tested to some degree, but I'm not sure in what way, and I'm certain there will be other CIR specific questions that might be worth knowing.

General input is appreciated as well as this is the first time in 3 attempts that I've managed to get this far.

Quote Originally Posted by cynikles View Post

I have only today been accepted for an interview for the JET Programme for an October departure date.
    Wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I have only today been accepted for an interview for the JET Programme for an October departure date.

first time in 3 attempts
    One thing would be to know the actual departure month... You mean July...right? Making sure...3 months difference there.
    いいみで

Default Re: CIR Interview Possibilities

I heard that from now on they can actually start at any time.... though I don't think that it has started yet (and most people will still be hired around orientation time).

Expect to be talking to a bunch of old people who aren't very interesting... a lot. Expect to be asked to translate things into english, or to act as a translator when a foreigner comes to visit. Expect to be teaching (probably younger kids) at least SOME of the time. I know some CIRs whom are just ES teachers basically.

THE CIR SLIDER:

ES TEACHER -------- ||| -------- ||| -------- OFFICE LADY

You will be somewhere in the middle.
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

I have only today been accepted for an interview for the JET Programme for an October departure date. I've applied for both the CIR and ALT position and I was wondering if I could get some insight on what I might be asked in the CIR position. I'm guessing my language proficiency will be tested to some degree, but I'm not sure in what way, and I'm certain there will be other CIR specific questions that might be worth knowing.

General input is appreciated as well as this is the first time in 3 attempts that I've managed to get this far.
    Where are you applying from? It seems the CIR interviews can be very different depending on the Embassy/consulate that conducts your interview. I wasn't even aware that you could apply for both positions at once.

If you're interviewing in London, the CIR interviews are very different from the ALT interviews. They are held completely in Japanese, and then you have to read out some newspaper articles, then answer some questions on them...(one is really easy, and one was pretty hard.)

The questions can be similar to ALT interviews...just they ask them in Japanese.

You should probably ask a CIR specific forum if you need more advice:
    CIR Homepage :: Home

Quote Originally Posted by greengoo View Post
    Expect to be talking to a bunch of old people who aren't very interesting... a lot. Expect to be asked to translate things into english, or to act as a translator when a foreigner comes to visit. Expect to be teaching (probably younger kids) at least SOME of the time. I know some CIRs whom are just ES teachers basically.

THE CIR SLIDER:

ES TEACHER -------- ||| -------- ||| -------- OFFICE LADY

You will be somewhere in the middle.
    Meh. my CIR role wasn't like either of those... CIR positions are even more 'ESID' than ALT positions.

When I say October, I mean October. I'm applying from Brisbane, Australia. (We don't pay attention to the flags under out avatar's do we?)
    I was referring to the actual interview itself, and what to expect, not so much the job. I have a fair idea of what the job entails, just not the sort of questions to expect in the interview. At the moment the Brisbane Consulate is yet to confirm the interview time, I just merely have a letter telling me that I have survived the application process and will be contacted for an interview in February.
    And for those wondering, I ticked the either/or box for CIR/ALT.

EDIT: Might take that back about October. Not sure why that's stuck in my head. Need to cross-check.
    Last edited by cynikles; January 24th, 2012 at 09:29. Reason: Mucked something up.

Quote Originally Posted by cynikles;
    When I say October, I mean October. I'm applying from Brisbane, Australia. (We don't pay attention to the flags under out avatar's do we?)
    I was referring to the actual interview itself, and what to expect, not so much the job. I have a fair idea of what the job entails, just not the sort of questions to expect in the interview. At the moment the Brisbane Consulate is yet to confirm the interview time, I just merely have a letter telling me that I have survived the application process and will be contacted for an interview in February.
    And for those wondering, I ticked the either/or box for CIR/ALT.

EDIT: Might take that back about October. Not sure why that's stuck in my head. Need to cross-check.
    I think I've found the problem.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    I think I've found the problem.
    I really appreciate the help.

I really appreciate the help.
    np.

Structure your questions and research the job a little more. There is no shortage of CIR threads here. Try the search function and then the posters of ITIL will help you fill in the blanks for your September departure.

U da real mvp.

The interview is different (wildly different, from what I've heard) at every consulate/every year. The only consistent part is the requirement that you read passages and answer questions about them.

Best advice: Be as calm as possible. If you think you screwed up a question, don't freak out. If you KNOW you screwed up, don't freak out. English speaking CIRs come to JET with varying levels of Japanese, and they 100% expect that you will learn on the job. So (I think) the most important thing is to demonstrate not only language skills, but the ability to cope with things you don't know/understand.

Quote Originally Posted by melty View Post
    Meh. my CIR role wasn't like either of those... CIR positions are even more 'ESID' than ALT positions.
    I agree. I hardly ever work with kids (4~5 times a year), and my job is about 80% translating, though I've also had to interpret for governors and ambassadors.

As for the original question, I'm from the U.S. and I've heard that the non-U.S. CIR interviews are more demanding in terms of Japanese speaking ability. I got asked pretty standard questions. And yeah, what other people said about the reading test. I thought I bombed the second reading.

One bit of advice I would have for the CIR interview would be to get into your "Japanese brain" a few hours before. Even if it means you're talking to yourself in Japanese and looking like a weirdo. You need to be able to speak Japanese smoothly and confidently so a little run up before you jump always helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezora View Post
    Japan is one of the few places where an old lay will clutch her purse in terror at the sight of a white person.
    The thing is, from what I know, you're pretty hot and maybe asian.