Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Get your fracking drivers' license, yo

Default Get your fracking drivers' license, yo

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    If you have somehow managed to make it this far in life without acquiring a driver's license, get it now. You must have been licensed for 90 days in your home country (and actually spent 90 consecutive days in that country while licensed) in order to get a Japanese driver's license. I'm pretty sure this is a requirement for the IDP, as well, although I don't know how they'd check. If there is even a faint possibility that you will stay longer than one year, get your license NOW.

If you've been shortlisted, you literally have days remaining in which to do so.

Even if you put down a non-driving request on your app, do it anyway. There is no guarantee that you won't be placed in Butt-f*ck, Inaka. You might be within walking distance of your school, but that doesn't mean you'll be within walking/biking distance of anything else.

Do it now. You'll regret it if you don't.
    So, I thought I'd do this thread again, but I wanted to start a little earlier this year. A thread on Official reminded me. You have more than a few days, but you should do it NOW.

Seriously, NOW.

Get your drivers' license. As I said last year... you'll regret it if you don't.

See this thread.
    Last edited by word; January 29th, 2012 at 16:02.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Default Re: Get your fracking drivers' license, yo

word.

does this thread title comply with the latest rules?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I'm honestly not sure whether Google considers "frack" to be an obscene term or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Reminds me, I should check to see when my license expires, too....

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
    Reminds me, I should check to see when my license expires, too....
    I got an 8 year license. I don't need to renew until I'm 31. ~Oh yeah~

Though, when I renewed, they still used my picture from when I was 16. That's gonna be awkward in a few more years.

Haha yeah I got my full licence (we have two stages of licences before you get the your full licence) when I was 17, I'm in my school uniform, thank god the lady told me to take off my school tie so I'm just in a white blouse....Woulda been awkward trying to get into a club when your ID is obviously you in your high school uniform.
    Last edited by bananallanah; January 30th, 2012 at 07:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkypie View Post
    I got an 8 year license. I don't need to renew until I'm 31. ~Oh yeah~

Though, when I renewed, they still used my picture from when I was 16. That's gonna be awkward in a few more years.
    My licence is valid until 2059, when I turn 70.

I put on my application that I don't have a driver's licence. I actually do (have had it for 7-ish years), but I'm a little worried about the whole driving on the other side of the road thing, and how common is manual cars versus automatic cars. I know how to drive manual, but I'm not hugely great at it and I would definitely suck at it using my left hand.

Driving on the left side of the road is weird for about a day, and then you get over it. The scary part is driving on tiny roads with deep gutters / dropoffs into rice fields and no guardrails

Oh yeah, coming from NZ I wouldn't have that issue :P

Just to add something here, I was told I "might" need a car but is suggested before I came, it turned out the alternative was a 20km bike ride every morning.

Get your licence, regardless what your pred/supervisor says beforehand.

The switch on sides isn't rough, except when reversing out of a space into the street; you will find that those habits will die hard.

The streets are insanely narrow in most small towns. There are some two-way streets here that can barely contain a k-kar. I guarantee you most of you will be unprepared for that, and there's no good way to help get you ready.

Map sites and maps in general will lie to you about the quality of road. Two roads can be the same colour on the map but one will be a three lane and the other will be a one lane winding mountain road with gaijin traps on one side and a sheer drop off on the other.

tl;dr: Get your license, but arrive knowing you probably aren't prepared.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Yeah...my predecessor had a car but I didn't have the money to buy it from her straight away. She said the placement didn't really need a car anyway because the BoE pay for taxis to and from the schools more than 5 minutes away. Turned out she meant she didn't need a car because she didn't go anywhere other then school...I definitely needed a car to go see people and do things that are fun. Luckily I got one on credit from a local dealer and paid it off over 9 months...and it was a better car than hers anyway. Don't listen to everything your predecessor says...they could turn out to be a loser but no one tells you in time!

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    because the BoE pay for taxis to and from the schools more than 5 minutes away

Quote Originally Posted by Eudox View Post
    Yep...was good. Now they pay for my petrol for schools over 5 minutes away. They pay far too much for petrol. I hardly ever have to pay for my own petrol.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be doing that ASAP.

Zero, who's your BOE?
    When the student is ready the teacher will appear.

Quote Originally Posted by reed View Post
    (I hate the one-year contract concept, as a good job is one you'll keep for as long as you please, and a bad one can't possibly keep you there -- labour laws trump contract terms in any case, and only guilt, fear and obligation keep young teachers from running when the alarms sound.)
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Failed an interac interview. Hahahaha. That's a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by happyBuddha View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be doing that ASAP.

Zero, who's your BOE?
    Errrr I'm not telling you that...then you'll know where I am...and that's a secret!

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Errrr I'm not telling you that...then you'll know where I am...and that's a secret!
    Oh well, I'll just pray that my petrol gets reimbursed too!
    When the student is ready the teacher will appear.

Quote Originally Posted by reed View Post
    (I hate the one-year contract concept, as a good job is one you'll keep for as long as you please, and a bad one can't possibly keep you there -- labour laws trump contract terms in any case, and only guilt, fear and obligation keep young teachers from running when the alarms sound.)
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Failed an interac interview. Hahahaha. That's a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    • Automatic transmission is significantly more common here. You wouldn't even be allowed to drive manual unless you got a manual transmission license, which is a different test to the regular one.
    • Driving on the left is easy. After going back to the States for a few week, I found that I legitimately prefer driving on the left.
    • Seriously, you'll be fine.
    Thank you! I was worried and it said on the application that if you don't want to drive to check 'no'. This makes me feel a lot better about driving in Japan