Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interac VS JET - Money and other things

Default Interac VS JET - Money and other things

So it's getting very late in the estimated UK interview letters period and I'm expecting I won't have an interview this time around. Weird since I had one before and since vastly improved my application O.o.

I always heard JET was better, because not only do they pay more (not sure if this is true with the salary reductions - Interac says 230,000 per month), but they also often subsidise your rent. I'd also need to buy my own flights with Interac. There's also more job security it seems, with too many people being hired before from what I heard.

With Interac, how much would I be paying out for rent, bills, food, etc? Has anyone ever worked it out? What does rent range between, without subsidizing it?

Are there any benefits to doing Interac, over JET or another programme? Are you able to choose areas more specifically or do private tutoring on the side (legally) or anything else like that, which you can't on JET?
    Last edited by Kewne; January 30th, 2012 at 06:12.

Yeah would be interested in this too as this year it looks like no interview for me despite getting alt status last year

Will be looking at non JET alternatives now!

Default Re: Interac VS JET - Money and other things

I was an ALT on JET in 2003/04 and applied again this year. I naively thought I'd be shoe-in for an interview with my experience etc, but alas, it looks like they want fresh blood this year. No letter for me. Like you, Sugoi, I'm kinda surprised I didn't even make it to the interview stage.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as you guys and looking at other options. Essentially JET is the clear number one choice and everything else doesn't come close. There isn't an obvious "second place" option.

Go with a 'JET alternative' and this is what you're looking at:

Cost of flight from UK: about £600 minimum
    Then monthly...
    rent - 50,000 - 80,000 (plus likely deposit/key money of 2-5 times that)
    utilities - 10,000-15,000 depending on lifestyle and season
    phone/Internet - landline (30,000 setup; 3500 - 8000 thereafter) or cell phone (10,000 setup; 3500-8000 thereafter)
    food - 30,000 - 60,000 depending on carnivore vs. vegetarian and lifestyle

Essentially, after paying for basic needs, you will have about 125,000 left over for everything else.

My biggest concern with Interac is key money. I really don't like having to pay it. I'm considering trying to get a private job to try and avoid it.

The big pisser is that we're now too late for the start of the school year. April jobs have already been taken, so we'll be lucky if we get something before August. I was OK waiting until then with JET, but now that I haven't got an interview I want outa the UK asap.

Hope this helped anyway.
    Last edited by lemsip; January 31st, 2012 at 00:21.

how would getting a private job avoid key money?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how would getting a private job avoid key money?
    fantasy land is hiring
    How are you? Yes yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
    fantasy land is hiring
    Do your homework guys and girls, though in no way am I saying anything else is as good a deal as you get with JET
    Last edited by lemsip; February 1st, 2012 at 03:06.

if you think thats true you should do your homework a little more. Every job I've had since leaving has been a better deal than JET
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Interac pays 230,000 plus up to 20,000 in transportation a month.
    For super rural places it can pay 255,000 a month
    There is also a 5,000/ month salary bonus if you pass the Japanese test.

JET pays 310,000 a month last I checked
    They also pay your airfare...I don't know know about housing and bills and such

Here is what I pay for housing:
    55,000 yen a month for housing
    4,000 yen for electric
    4,000 yen for gas
    2,000 yen for water
    2,000 yen for kokumin hoken (insurance)
    4,400 yen for phone ( I have an iphone so its more)

Benefits for working for Interac
    Placement. I practically chose mine, but I had experience to back myself up with. I wanted to be near Kyoto and I got it. (note I am not in Kyoto...that is JET territory, but it is exceedingly difficult to get unless you are married and your partner is Japanese and already lives there)
    Other bonus. I only work 175 days a year if that (my school often doesn't schedule me because of testing or something). I get over a month for summer vacation. I get extended weekends once a month as well as a few weeks (2-4) vacation in both the winter and spring.

JET
    more money...

oh! and Interac lets you work for other companies like ECC and Gaba as well as private tutoring. As long as it is not a company that is in competition with Interac as I remember right

if you think thats true you should do your homework a little more. Every job I've had since leaving has been a better deal than JET
    Really? What other companies have you worked for after JET, and what did they offer you?

I'm pretty sure you are allowed to do private tutoring on the side if you're an Interac employee. I've been following the blog of an Interac ALT and she does private tutoring a few evenings a week to supplement her income.

I'm defo applying to Interac as a JET backup. My main concern though is the amount of money Interac ask for as a start-up; it's about 4 grand. I'm not convinced I would have saved up that kind of money by August, although I hear they do offer loans. The idea of more free time and holidays with Interac is appealing to me. Part of the attraction of Japan for me is its proximity to other Asian countries that I would like to travel in, as well as exploring Japan itself.

Well as far as teaching english goes I've never worked for a company. government jobs, universities and international schools are your best bet if you want to avoid living on the poverty line.

Well as far as teaching english goes I've never worked for a company. government jobs, universities and international schools are your best bet if you want to avoid living on the poverty line.
    Don't you need some qualification beyond a Bachelor's degree for that?

Why would you? I've seen some that prefer Master's Degrees but 'or equivalent experience'* is usually there beside it.

*this may or may not be code for sexual favours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Why would you? I've seen some that prefer Master's Degrees but 'or equivalent experience'* is usually there beside it.

*this may or may not be code for sexual favours.
    I'm genuinely curious what jobs that are "better than JET" are available at universities or whatever. I haven't done much research but it seems like everyone speaks of JET like it's the ultimate gig for an untrained foreigner in Japan unless you hit something lucky.

Ini, do you need a high level of Japanese for such jobs? Where/how do you find out about them, just gaijinpot or what?

JET pretty much seems like the ultimate gig for untrained, unseasoned bachelors degree graduates. I say seems because its possible there are some sweeter gigs out there. I just don't know them yet.

But from what I have gathered, universities and international schools do lean towards people with masters degrees, teaching certificates, japanese speaking and writing ability, and experience. I have yet to see one that does not want all of those. And the things is, is that they can get just that. There are plenty of qualifying people in Japan.
    Westgate is a program that allows you to teach in universities that might be worth looking into if that is your scene. I don't know how selective they are or what the pay is. They are primarily in the Kanto region...actually I think they are only there.

Qualifications: of course the more you have is better, having a teaching qualification or a masters is a minimum for lots of universities and international schools. Of course you can find dodgy international schools run by a bunch of cowboys who will let you in with less. I have a friend who met an indian guy in a bar and ended up getting offered the job of "deputy head" at his school.

Japanese: This seems to be more important at direct hire BOE jobs but not really a deal breaker. I can hardly speak a word of japanese but I can knock up a decent looking curriculum + detailed lessons plans in their silly chicken scratch and as long as you can follow whats going on during meetings and stick in a well placed pleasantry when relevant it seems to be enough. The biggest thing seems to be your ability to be independent. If you need someone to help you with paperwork or you just sit at your desk blissfully unaware of whats going on around you then they wont be too happy.

Where to find jobs: Old boys network. teachers you worked with getting promoted to admin jobs, old head teachers opening private schools, friends leaving and looking for a replacement etc. Most the decent jobs dont advertise and the ones that do stick the silly requirements on like 1kyu japanese and a masters in education. Go to conferences (not those shit JET ones) and get your name out. You want to be known as that annoying cunt the "super jet" who all the teachers talk about whenever they come back from a demo class.

Quote Originally Posted by DandeLion View Post
    Other bonus. I only work 175 days a year if that (my school often doesn't schedule me because of testing or something). I get over a month for summer vacation. I get extended weekends once a month as well as a few weeks (2-4) vacation in both the winter and spring.

JET
    more money...
    This is kind of misleading since we get salary reductions during the months where we don't work. 60% in August, 75% in December, and March/April are only paid for the time of your contract, so if your contract ends the first week of March and starts up again the last week of April, you'll be lucky to get 100000yen for each month!!!

Also your kokumin hoken payment is low this year but it'll jump up a lot more once you get a year's worth of income! I pay around 22000yen each month, plus you have to pay residence taxes in Interac, that's another 150000yen or so each year!

a rudimentary chart kind of explains a fair amount here

The Sushi Complex: The age old debate: JET vs. Interac

edit: address update
    Last edited by DandeLion; October 29th, 2012 at 08:19.

Quote Originally Posted by DandeLion View Post
    a rudimentary chart kind of explains a fair amount here

Japan in Real-Time: The age old debate: JET vs. Interac
    Salary is inaccurate for nübs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.