Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interac VS JET - Money and other things

I'm trying to think of what cities these would be for Interacs... I mean Sendai, Fukushima, and Yamagata are all JET. I dunno about Aomori and Akita, but I can't think of many cities that are really growing up here. I know the two towns I'm near are depopulating at a pretty quick pace and dying, and they're 100k people towns. I would imagine most interac placements would be just as rural as JET placements in Tohoku.
    I've no idea.

I was speaking more of the big cities up there, I've no experience at all with the mid sized 100k cities; I would imagine they suffer by proximity to the regional capitals just as regional capitals in the south suffer by proximity to Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    why is it a no? rural tohoku is a hell of a lot nicer than anywhere in kanto
    Its actually rural.
    Rural areas in the south tend (not always of course...) to have much better links with civilization.
    Again though I speak purely through second hand knowledge, I've never tried living in rural Tohoku, the prospect just worries me.
    I also hear its the worst place to be weather-wise in winter. The temperatures are near Hokkaido standards but the houses remain built according to regular Japanese standards.
    Last edited by Tyr; March 8th, 2012 at 15:28.

Default Re: Interac VS JET - Money and other things

tohoku has just as many train lines and expressways as anywhere else. living 2 hours from tokyo in kanto and living two hours from sendai in tohoku is exactly the same except instead of being surrounded by factories and rice fields you are surrounded by mountains and ricefields
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    tohoku has just as many train lines and expressways as anywhere else. living 2 hours from tokyo in kanto and living two hours from sendai in tohoku is exactly the same except instead of being surrounded by factories and rice fields you are surrounded by mountains and ricefields
    I'm surrounded by factories mountains and rice fields

In one of Florida's ubiquitous retirement towns

What a fortuitous conversation you've all been having~ I've got an Interac seminar coming up next month, which I will attend if JET doesn't hire me. On my application (and I think in my phone interview), I indicated Sendai as one of my placement preferences. Maybe it was even my first choice.
    -I have friends in the Sendai area, including one who works for Interac.
    -I figured that new applicants/employees up for renewal would be less likely to choose that area, given last year's trauma.
    -I don't mind the cold. Or so I think - I'm originally from Massachusetts but have lived in Florida since I was six. I hate Florida's heat though - it was 83F in January this year, yuck.
    -Proximity to Tokyo is not a huge issue, but proximity to a coastline is. I've always, always lived near an ocean/gulf. It helps me de-stress and keep things in perspective. If it's a tiny rural town near the coast, that's fine, whatever. I'm used to tiny town. But tiny town in the middle of the country somewhere three or four hours to the coast... well, it's not my preference, put it that way.

The Interac recruiters/website make it seem like rural placement and driving a car is inevitable. I prefer neither, but like people have been saying, I'm one of those people who will accept any placement just to live and work in Japan.

I'm not saying I think JET will give me a better placement than Interac. Not at all. In the end, the salary wins out, ha.
    Bex | Atlanta | Shortlisted 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Kirari View Post
    What a fortuitous conversation you've all been having~ I've got an Interac seminar coming up next month, which I will attend if JET doesn't hire me. On my application (and I think in my phone interview), I indicated Sendai as one of my placement preferences. Maybe it was even my first choice.
    -I have friends in the Sendai area, including one who works for Interac.
    -I figured that new applicants/employees up for renewal would be less likely to choose that area, given last year's trauma.
    -I don't mind the cold. Or so I think - I'm originally from Massachusetts but have lived in Florida since I was six. I hate Florida's heat though - it was 83F in January this year, yuck.
    -Proximity to Tokyo is not a huge issue, but proximity to a coastline is. I've always, always lived near an ocean/gulf. It helps me de-stress and keep things in perspective. If it's a tiny rural town near the coast, that's fine, whatever. I'm used to tiny town. But tiny town in the middle of the country somewhere three or four hours to the coast... well, it's not my preference, put it that way.

The Interac recruiters/website make it seem like rural placement and driving a car is inevitable. I prefer neither, but like people have been saying, I'm one of those people who will accept any placement just to live and work in Japan.

I'm not saying I think JET will give me a better placement than Interac. Not at all. In the end, the salary wins out, ha.
    Long story short, Interac is nice because they allow you to shift location more easily. JET is nice for absolutely everything else.
    Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit
    It's like GG's life is run by a DM who lets him take all skill checks with his charisma modifier.

another thing which nobody mentions (and certainly not Interac) is the high rate of contract turnover. For example, i have had my position changed once due to them losing the contract and a bunch of 1st years from my area are having to move now also. Interac (and other dispatch) are always at the whim of the local city council and they quite often change companies just to save a few pennies. With JET you have a secure position..so that's something to also consider
    How are you? Yes yes!

well, the companies have to come in and give presentations to the boe every year. Interac are known for being lazy and just turning up with a standard one size fits all presentation, not being properly prepared and relying on being cheap. I wouldn't say they lose contracts just because other companies undercut them.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I hope you're not hoping to be near the coast for swimming. We couldn't go last year (no Ocean Day celebrations, of course) and I doubt it'll be an activity of choice or available option for most this year, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

In one of Florida's ubiquitous retirement towns

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    I hope you're not hoping to be near the coast for swimming. We couldn't go last year (no Ocean Day celebrations, of course) and I doubt it'll be an activity of choice or available option for most this year, either.

Not really. Mostly just walking/running and absorbing the atmosphere. But thanks, that's good to know~
    Bex | Atlanta | Shortlisted 2012