Thread: New Residency Managment System

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Default New Residency Managment System

To all foreign nationals residing in Japan Beginning on Monday, July 9, 2012, Start of a new residency management system!
    What exactly is the new residency management system?

The aim of the new residency management system is to enable the Ministry of Justice to continuously keep information necessary for managing the residency of foreign nationals residing in Japan for the mid-to long-term with resident status, and ensure greater convenience for those foreign nationals.
    The system will issue qualifying foreign nationals a resident card containing a portrait photo of the individual, basic personal information such as his/her name, his/her resident status and his/her currently allowed period of stay.
    Moreover, because the new system will allow authorities to more accurately track resident status than with the previous system, it makes it possible to introduce measures that will improve the convenience of foreign nationals who legally reside in Japan, such as a maximum period of stay of five years instead of the previous three years, and a new reentry permit system that waives reentry permit formalities for foreign nationals who leave and reenter Japan within one year of the date of their original departure.
    The current alien registration system will be abolished with the start of the new residency management system.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Default Re: New Residency Managment System

Sounds cool, I guess. I'm wondering if those of us with a three-year visa will automatically get five new years. When this goes through, I'll have been here three years. Will I get five more years added, or just two?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

nah, I think you keep you old gaijin card until your visa runs out then when you renew it they will give you a new id card and a new 5 year visa. They are not going to have every foreigner in japan queue up at their immigration offices on july 9th to get a new card.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I suspect this will not be a smooth transition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    I suspect this will not be a smooth transition.
    Nothing that eight new layers of bureaucracy can't fix, amiright, Japan?
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I'm not exactly worried about the tracking thing. They already do more tracking than a lot of countries.
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

I feel like this new system is a kind of meeting of two political opinions where they want to attract skilled foreigners to come live here temporarily (as they'll be more likely to stay if they know it's for a longer period) but at the same time are massively against uncontrolled immigration/residency.

nah, I think you keep you old gaijin card until your visa runs out then when you renew it they will give you a new id card and a new 5 year visa. They are not going to have every foreigner in japan queue up at their immigration offices on july 9th to get a new card.
    I've heard that (at least in Nagano) you'll get temporary paperwork with the info that will be on the new card, and then have a period of time in which you can get the new residency card...

*Hope that they don't make us carry around the paperwork, because that would be annoying...*

Show me your papers!

I don't quite understand how the information could be that different. Maybe they want to do the paper deal to give people an incentive to hurry up and get the new card.
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

I just applied for an extension of my visa and at the same time applied for PR. Hopefully they will take the PR route and keep me waiting for 6 months so I can get this rather than faffing around with the old cards first.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Just a thought as I was writing out all my cellphone crap on main... How much hassle do you think new JETs will have in July/Aug this year with places having no idea what these new cards are (ie phone carriers/banks/utilities....) I can see it now, new JETs trying to sign up for cell services and not being able to due to lacking paperwork/forms.

Except it's not the same as that card is it? i thought it was a replacement for the ARC system but still not the national ID card.

Except it's not the same as that card is it? i thought it was a replacement for the ARC system but still not the national ID card.

They might just get confused why a gaijin would have that card.

Quote Originally Posted by RomulusLupin View Post
    I naturally assumed that it'd be a problem, but our PAs are convinced that it'll actually be smoother than in the past ; since every Japanese citizen already understands that concept of a 在留カード, they should know to accept it when a gaijin tries to get a cellphone or open a bank account. I am less optimistic.
    I think no matter what the level of Japanese ability and paperwork in hand cell phone company employees will find a way to make it difficult. A foreigner applying for anything is cause to be suspicious and double check with the higher-ups. I mean, for god's sake, the post office employees practically fell apart when I wanted to send money to the U.S.
    Last edited by therealwindycity; April 10th, 2012 at 15:42.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    They might just get confused why a gaijin would have that card.
    super-this. Much like when you speak perfectly clear Japanese to someone but they're too busy being shocked that someone can understand their very muzukashii langauge to actually process what you're saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

I am a current JET and I have a trip to America scheduled for July 13th. I don't have a re-entry permit yet, but everyone seems a bit unsure of whether or not I need to file for one or if I can just have my card changed on the 9th before I leave to eliminate the need for a re-entry permit. Do you know anything about it?

residents cards arent issued the day you apply. they are sent to your registered address. if you go to immigration on the 9th and apply for a residents card they will stamp your passport saying you have applied. This "may" be ok for immigration. You could risk it or just spend the 3000 yen on a re-rentry permit now and be safe.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.