Thread: Football/ superbowl lesson

Default Football/ superbowl lesson

I was wondering if anyone had some good ideas for a superbowl lesson.

I am hoping to do some of the following?

What the superbowl is for Americans.
    How to play, with maybe some simple drills outside.
    One or two funny commercials

Default Re: Football/ superbowl lesson

I'm fairly sure you'll be the only person in the classroom who will find that lesson interesting/enjoyable
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Word.

Yeah, they won't give two sh*ts about football; they'll call it "rugby" and will just be enthused that they're not repeating words from flashcards. You might get one or two boys who will enjoy tossing a football around, but that's about it. Maybe a LOL at a commercial, but you'd get that without the rest of the "superbowl" lesson.

I bought an Amurican football and keep it in the classroom. The kids like throwing it around once and a while; it usually goes on just long enough for them to nearly break something and have the ball taken away. Despite my repeated corrections, they still call it a rugby ball.

Plenty of much more meaningful lessons that could be done. But, hey, if you can get a few kids into it, maybe you could teach 'em flag football or something. My JTE would never go for it, though.
    Last edited by word; February 2nd, 2012 at 19:54.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

yeh i need to get outside if i want to get anything from it.

My choices of lesson are either this, disciplined, or studying grammar points we already have over killed. I think this one wins the cake. Unless i want to let a few of my kids know they would of been expelled in American schools.
    Last edited by jwkelley; February 3rd, 2012 at 14:10.

Quote Originally Posted by jwkelley View Post
    yeh i need to get outside if i want to get anything from it.

My choices of lesson are either this, disciplined, or studying grammar points we already have over killed. I think this one wins the cake. Unless i want to let a few of my kids know they would of been expelled in American schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudox View Post
    Word.

Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

God i hope i never get to a point in life where correcting common grammar mistakes is the high point of my day.

There are some mistakes which are okay, but there are others which will make other people die a little inside. If you are confusing two words like have/of, bought/brought etc... you should be making a conscious effort to fix it so you don't sound like you never went to school.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Anyhoo, I think your commercials idea is better than the Superbowl itself. Sure, show them some highlights from last year's Superbowl; but then show them the ads that are played at half time.
    Then they can make up their own commercials for Japanese products and "pitch" them to you, to see which ones would be played at half time if you were deciding.
    I've got a whole series of lesson plans on commercials - analysing the verbal and non-verbal language of persuasion - if you want 'em PM me.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

There are some mistakes which are okay, but there are others which will make other people die a little inside. If you are confusing two words like have/of, bought/brought etc... you should be making a conscious effort to fix it so you don't soundas though you never went to school.
    Fixed it for ya.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    Fixed it for ya.
    Word. I'll make a conscious effort to not make that mistake in the future.

Honestly, they don't teach grammar in most NZ schools. I'm learning so much about english here.

I like you. At least you can laugh at yourself. They didn't teach grammar in Australian schools when I went to them, either. Sometimes I think I'm the only teacher who does try to drill it into little heads, but I know I'm not.
    You do tend to learn so much about English as an ALT because the JTEs ask such nitpicking questions!

There are some mistakes which are okay, but there are others which will make other people die a little inside. If you are confusing two words like have/of, bought/brought etc... you should be making a conscious effort to fix it so you don't sound like you never went to school.
    fair, given the subject of this forum i should not be complaining either.

Wicket i think ill take you up on that.
    Last edited by jwkelley; February 4th, 2012 at 15:19.