Thread: Making a Resume

Default Making a Resume

Still in Japan, but I'm on my way out pretty soon (well technically August, but you know how it is). I haven't touched my resume in quite a while, and I'm debating how to go about it.

So here's the big question: I am one of the many JETs who came on here with virtually no work experience. I worked retail part-time during high school and university, but is that something I would really list on a resume now? And how many jobs would you all list?

Clearly my experience working in Japan is the most relevant career experience that'll be on my resume, but it's not all I've done, so... what have you guys done?

Default Re: Making a Resume

when you say on your way out do you mean japan or just jet? are you writing an english resume or a japanese one?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    when you say on your way out do you mean japan or just jet? are you writing an english resume or a japanese one?
    Going back to America, at least for the time being. Not sure exactly what kind of job I'll be able to get with my meager working experience, but I'm gonna give it a shot before definitively deciding to go to grad school, I think.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

a few more details will help. I mean since you have to tailor make a resume and cover letter to the job. What are you looking to get into? you planning on going to the returners conference, if so there are always great resume building workshops and one on one meetings with the professionals that speak over the few day conference. I talked with a guy that works for the laurasian institute (The Laurasian Institution) who helped me get my stuff in order and land me my current position in international ed.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Quote Originally Posted by mteacher80 View Post
    a few more details will help. I mean since you have to tailor make a resume and cover letter to the job. What are you looking to get into? you planning on going to the returners conference, if so there are always great resume building workshops and one on one meetings with the professionals that speak over the few day conference. I talked with a guy that works for the laurasian institute (The Laurasian Institution) who helped me get my stuff in order and land me my current position in international ed.
    Fair enough. I'm not 100% positive on this point, but I'm thinking of trying for some entry-level translation positions. Failing that, I'd look into jobs with an international theme--something at the consulate, for example.

If you want an example I can always mail you mine. Or you can just do what I did and troll linkedin looking at how of ex-JETS wrote about the experience in their resume.
    Last edited by UPGRAYEDD; February 8th, 2012 at 09:17.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    If you want an example I can always mail you mine. Or you can just do what I did and troll linkedin looking at how of ex-JETS wrote about the experience in their resume.
    That would be excellent! I also googled around a bit last night and got some ideas.

I just officially decided not to recontract next year, so I've got a case of the heebie jeebies, if you know what I mean. The thought of having no employment--and therefore no health/dental insurance for the first time in my life--is horrifying. Gotta get looking for some work!

English Instructor | ???Prefectural Board of Education, ???, Japan | 2006 – 2010
     Led cross-cultural seminars for students preparing to study abroad in various countries.
     Coordinated class and exam schedule, updating student and grade databases in a timely manner.
     Served as only non-Japanese member of multiple departments to evaluate and reorganize program.
     Organized and led a weekly student English club fostering global cross-cultural communication.
     Designed100s of original student-centered lessons and materials for students using a limited budget.

07-27-05 – 07-31-07 |English Instructor: ???, Japan
    Implemented effective and engaging student-centered English education lesson plans and materials for junior high school students learning English as a foreign language

09-01-02 – 06-23-03 |English Instructor: .??, Japan
    Collaborated with multiple departments to coordinate the English curriculum for an elementary school language program.