Thread: "Everyone speaks" activity

Default "Everyone speaks" activity

Been changing my approach to warm-up activities the last few weeks and have gotten good responses. Instead of doing some physical response activity or a game reviewing previous material, I've just been doing simple Q&A games where everyone's gotta speak at least once. Things like 20 questions, reverse 20 questions (where I ask them and they answer), taking turns choosing letters of the alphabet and saying something like "My name is Adam and I'm bringing Apples to Australia," before they can sit down, etc.

Anyone else have some good activities that are like this? Simple, totally verbal activities with many opportunities for volunteers to give quick questions and answers are what I'm looking for. Stuff similar to 20 questions. Halp?
    "Okay, dude, you got me. I'm from the future."

"I am the arm. I sound like this."

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Default Re: "Everyone speaks" activity

"Who stole the cookie?" [accuse the person in front of them and have them give the alibi "He didn't steal the cookie. I saw him....ing [e.g. playing baseball]"

"I spy" [also good for spelling]
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Default Re: "Everyone speaks" activity

This might be more complicated than what you're looking for, and you will have to do it multiple classes before the kids really get used to it.

Put up a list of conversation questions, like what's your name, what sports do you like, etc. Have the kids make two lines facing each other. Say "go!" and the kids must converse with the person across from them non-stop. They can say anything they want, as long as it's English. The questions you gave them act as a guide. "And you?" is a very helpful phrase here.

After a certain amount of time (they can probably only handle about 5-10 seconds at first) say "rotation!" The partners say "Goodbye!" and the whole group rotates counterclockwise. Repeat.

If making the class line up takes too much time /creates too much chaos you can do the same thing in small groups. If you have shy students you can make separate groups for girls and guys. Change it based on your own classroom situation, obviously. Works best in classes of students who are already eager to talk.