Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Interview - How Did It Go '12

Default Your Interview - How Did It Go '12

I noticed there was a thread for this for like... every year.... but no one made one this year. So, uh. How was your interview? If you've been gagged, obviously don't go into details about the questions or anything that might give an unfair advantage to other interviewees. I guess everything else is fair game.

I have nothing until the 27th.

Default Re: Your Interview - How Did It Go '12

I was pretty happy with how my interview went. I am a little scared that I came off as too excited to be teaching though. hehe. We will see come April I guess

I already responded http://www.ithinkimlost.com/applying...tml#post751009

But basically it went well. There were no real "oh shit" moments, but a few things that I kept replaying and thinking "I could have done that better". I felt happy when I left my interview, started freaking out about 2 hours after it, and am now back in a happy place where I feel like I did pretty well.

Still a few niggling doubts, but I can live with those until April. It's hard to know exactly where I stand without seeing the competition but I think I'm a pretty good match for the programme's goals. Here's a hoping.

Still a couple of days to go for me. Freaking out about whether the (better than what I have right now) clothes and shoes I ordered will arrive on time in between trying to cram 漢字/敬語/whatever into my head and watching mindless comedies to decompress.

I'm at the weird place where rather than about the content of the interview I'm more worried about my own linguistic failings - my interview will be trilingual and I'm already pants at stringing together three words in my native language because 99% of the time I speak/write English... Japanese will be even worse, I imagine.

So it'll either go fantastic or I'll bollocks it up beyond belief, there's not much in between at this stage. I'll let you know, I suppose.

Yeah, applying for CIR.

I'm mostly zen because I can't really do much more than brush up on my Japanese and smile during the interview. My only aspiration for the interview is to remain calm and present my best side - whatever else happens, if I can stay calm I'll be happy with that, regardless of whether I'll be successful or not. Ergo more worrying about my deliveries than what I'll be asked about in the interview.

http://nihonomnom.wordpress.com/2012...-bonus-advice/

Iv gone into quite a bit of detail about my interview and preparation process in my blog if anyone is interested
    Last edited by Takoyaki; May 1st, 2012 at 10:31.
    I probably post things that interest you
    nihonomnom | JET Program tales from Kobe-shi \(^ω^\)└(★o★)┐(〜^∇^)〜

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Um, while a lot of that contains good advice and some good observations, I take issue with a couple of things.

Firstly, the primary school teacher. Given that she is a teacher, they would most likely have asked her how she would go being an assistant. Perhaps she brought the teaching materials to show how she could contribute to helping JTEs. Almost every ALT I ever knew was expected to come up with some kind of teaching materials at some point.

Secondly, the overconfidence and cockiness of the whole piece. You sound like you're an expert on the programme, which no-one is, especially not someone who hasn't even been on it yet. You even say that your blog is about someone in Japan on the JET program. How dumb would you feel if you're not accepted?

For the record, I think you will be accepted. But just, I don't know, tone it down a bit, eh? No need to be so condescending to other applicants.
    Last edited by wicket; February 18th, 2012 at 21:07.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by wicket View Post
    Um, while a lot of that contains good advice and some good observations, I take issue with a couple of things.

Firstly, the primary school teacher. Given that she is a teacher, they would most likely have asked her how she would go being an assistant. Perhaps she brought the teaching materials to show how she could contribute to helping JTEs. Almost every ALT I ever knew was expected to come up with some kind of teaching materials at some point.

Secondly, the overconfidence and cockiness of the whole piece. You sound like you're an expert on the programme, which no-one is, especially not someone who hasn't even been on it yet. You even say that your blog is about someone in Japan on the JET program. How dumb would you feel if you're not accepted?

For the record, I think you will be accepted. But just, I don't know, tone it down a bit, eh? No need to be so condescending to other applicants.

I'm sorry to come across that way nor never meant for anyone to see it before i was actually accepted.
    That whole piece was something i wrote whilst stranded at the train station due to the rain on the way home from my interview on my iPhone and i added a couple pictures when i got home without re-reading it.
    The original was more a personal journal entry which was my honest opinion of what i was feeling at the time and I guess ill have to revise it, but its a Saturday night and as i was in a hurry I just wanted to share my experience to anyone it could benefit before i went out for the evening because I would have greatly appreciated an honest detailed account like this a week ago, when I was preparing.

and wicket I thank you for your honestly and all your help because your contribution aided me greatly in my preparation every step of the way for which i am incredibly grateful

edit: after re-reading that piece i see where you were coming from, i have taken it down to edit as i did sound like a total dick =P
    Last edited by Takoyaki; February 18th, 2012 at 22:16.

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

Quote Originally Posted by Prospective View Post
    I already responded http://www.ithinkimlost.com/applying...tml#post751009

But basically it went well. There were no real "oh shit" moments, but a few things that I kept replaying and thinking "I could have done that better". I felt happy when I left my interview, started freaking out about 2 hours after it, and am now back in a happy place where I feel like I did pretty well.

Still a few niggling doubts, but I can live with those until April. It's hard to know exactly where I stand without seeing the competition but I think I'm a pretty good match for the programme's goals. Here's a hoping.
    This is exactly how I feel- I was elated when I left the interview and then hit a real downer by that night (interview at 10am). I am now ok and just wishing it was April! I was suprised at the amount of interview panels and applicants when I got to the venue so that was a little off putting. I wish I had hung around after my interview to talk to some people but I ran out of there like the place was on fire!

Yup this is how I feel about my interview too. Felt it went quite well, then a few hours later had some real facepalm moments, total chances to show off and I just missed them hardout. Luckily I was quite prepared for other segments, particularly a couple questions my friend had last year which came up in mine (explain the difference between 'special' and 'unique' for example) Guess we'll see come April any how.
    I dissected the interview more in the interviews advice/questions thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Elan View Post
    Still a couple of days to go for me. Freaking out about whether the (better than what I have right now) clothes and shoes I ordered will arrive on time in between trying to cram 漢字/敬語/whatever into my head and watching mindless comedies to decompress.

I'm at the weird place where rather than about the content of the interview I'm more worried about my own linguistic failings - my interview will be trilingual and I'm already pants at stringing together three words in my native language because 99% of the time I speak/write English... Japanese will be even worse, I imagine.

So it'll either go fantastic or I'll bollocks it up beyond belief, there's not much in between at this stage. I'll let you know, I suppose.
    Do you get tested on keigo in the interviews?

Quote Originally Posted by Elan View Post
    Yeah, applying for CIR.

I'm mostly zen because I can't really do much more than brush up on my Japanese and smile during the interview. My only aspiration for the interview is to remain calm and present my best side - whatever else happens, if I can stay calm I'll be happy with that, regardless of whether I'll be successful or not. Ergo more worrying about my deliveries than what I'll be asked about in the interview.
    I`m cheering you on <3

I want to share everything about the things that hung me up slightly and the spur of the moment tactics that proved fruitful, if only it weren't for that damnable piece of paper I had to initial.......is that normal, by the way, the sheet telling you not to say anything? Or is that new?

Normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Normal.
    Ah, ok. I just remember reading that and going "....shit." haha

So I have heavily edited out all the former person notes in this blog entry and now its a lot more focused on just my experience, there is a lot of stuff in here that would be very valuable for those still studying for their interviews

http://nihonomnom.wordpress.com/2012...-bonus-advice/
    Last edited by Takoyaki; May 1st, 2012 at 10:31.

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

yeah, better, but could still do with some proof-reading for typos!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

i tried :P

For Fun
    For Profit
    For Science

Quote Originally Posted by atheistwithfaith View Post
    Do you get tested on keigo in the interviews?
    I doubt that's a regular feature. I'm interviewing for CIR and gave them my highest Japanese certificate, plus I'm somewhat obsessed with being appropriately polite at all times so I'm probably putting more pressure on myself than is strictly needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I`m cheering you on <3
    Thanks dear. Will try my best not to disappoint you

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
    I want to share everything about the things that hung me up slightly and the spur of the moment tactics that proved fruitful, if only it weren't for that damnable piece of paper I had to initial.......is that normal, by the way, the sheet telling you not to say anything? Or is that new?
    I didn't have to initial anthing.. is it a yank thing?