Thread: Large Group Instruction

Default Large Group Instruction

What do people do when you have to entertain a large group of kids (50+), and none of the other teachers speak any English? I`ve tried singing songs, playing games like Red Light Green Light, cookie making, mask making, and playing musical chairs. But I`m told I can`t do that for the next few visits because they`re trying to limit contact among the children because of the flu. All my lessons have been `contact` lessons, I`m told, and now they want me to do `no-contact` lessons.

I tried reading them a storybook once, and acted out the parts and had the kids act out the parts. We got about 4 pages in and I lost them. Blank looks. All of them.

The kids range in age from 3-5years of age, and they all have different attention levels. I have to purchase materials myself, so if there are any cheap things I can do, I`d really appreciate the suggestions. I know enough Japanese that I can describe easy things, but anything more complex, and I have to physically demonstrate.

Help

Default Re: Large Group Instruction

lol good luck! mass colouring exercise ?
    How are you? Yes yes!

bangkok ping pong show?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I think even if you plan a "no-contact" lesson, the kids are still going to touch and breath on each other and there's not much anyone can do about it. Maybe bingo might be ok. Make a bunch of different picture cards with animals or something on it. Head Shoulders Knees and Toes is contact, but it's only with yourself. Rock Paper Scissors tournaments never fail to amuse little kids, too.

If all those ideas are shot down, then let them color something. Really, that might be the only thing kids that age might be able to do without touching each other too much.

+1 for coloring lesson. It's the one lesson I've used with that age group that has made them quietly concentrate the most, you can teach basic colors, and works with large numbers.

guess influenza oni is out of the question then.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

colour-by-numbers.

teach the basic colours.
    revise or teach numbers 1-10
    have colour swatches in one hat and numbers in another.
    call kids up to choose a colour and a number.
    ask everyone "What colour is it?" "What number is it?"
    have the kid put the number and the colour somewhere visible to all

give them colour-by-numbers pictures, like these ones:
    Color by number coloring pages - you'll need to scroll down to find them.

have the kids make their own "colour keys" by going over the information that's been put up [e.g. "number 1 is blue - write/colour blue for number 1"

then let them colour their pictures. first one to present a correctly coloured picture wins a small prize.

good luck.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Thanks guys! I'm going to give a few of these a try and see how they work out.