Thread: What are some English words in Japanese that have a different meaning?

Default What are some English words in Japanese that have a different meaning?

I want to do a lesson on English words in Japanese that have a different English meaning. I was wondering if any one knew some good words like smart, high tension, Reform, potato ect. ect.?

Default Re: What are some English words in Japanese that have a different meaning?

You could explain to them that not everything made with flour is bread. Good luck with that.

Default Re: What are some English words in Japanese that have a different meaning?

Hmmm...

get, convenience, energy, strike, sign, drive, handle, file, present, page, pound, point, match, model, monitor, wipe, label, uniform...

You probably can't use these two: sex, grass
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

taxi, cream, accessory
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

instant, mug, glass

service, school, test

bill, pool

mantle, claim, seal, snack, consent (this one is weird in Japanese, I have no idea why they use it the way they do)

range, box, tank, regular

fast, fan, charge, pan (why didn't I think of that one before)

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Most of those have the correct "English" meaning when used in Japanese....don't they?
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

It refers to an electrical plug. No clue why.

Quote Originally Posted by mteacher80 View Post
    Most of those have the correct "English" meaning when used in Japanese....don't they?
    Yes, but they all have alternate meanings or can be used in another way. I think that's what the OP was looking for. All of these words probably aren't useful, but some of 'em may work for the lesson he had in mind, hopefully.

And consent.....comes from concentric plug. Not common engle, but not wrong!

...English

I've never actually used that word to describe a plug, but I guess it kinda makes sense.

I get that the OP might be looking for words that actually have different meanings in English than in Japanese, but there just aren't all that many. A few of those that I listed qualify, I guess.

As every student who went to my school learns at some point, good old "shoe cream" is always hilarious. By which I mean even the best students will only look politely at you and nod awkwardly when you tell them.