Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Interac = guaranteed employment?

Default Interview with Interac = guaranteed employment?

So I recently had an interview with Interac and now I'm anxiously waiting to hear if I've been accepted. At the interview, our recruiter said that anyone who makes it to the interview stage has a 99% chance of being hired (either as a short-list candidate, an alternate or a deferral). Is it just me, or do you guys find this to be just a tad far-fetched?

I'm asking because there were a couples parts of my interview that could have gone better, so I'm a little worried... but I made it this far, so I just hope it all works out.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Interview with Interac = guaranteed employment?

Good luck!

Enjoy being part of the 1% for once

Hah, I know right?

I've been scouring all sorts of EFL forums, and a lot of what I've read about Interac is that they do most of their filtering before the seminar and that once you make it to the interview stage it really is very likely you'll be hired unless there is horrendous misbehavior. What do you think went wrong? If it wasn't serious, I would say you still have a very good chance of making it.

Good luck!

I have my seminar in the not-so-distant future. Maybe we'll meet at orientation in August/September if we both make it!

Thanks! Well, nothing serious I guess. My demo was fine and the interview was great! It's just that my recruiter was kind of hard on me for no reason. After we finished filming, she complained that I spoke too fast when I read off the script, even though the email said we had to keep it under 30 seconds, and that my lesson was only 5 minutes when it should have been closer to 6 minutes... but in the email, it said to keep it under 6 minutes no matter what. It's not like I finished at 3 minutes or anything. She also said I didn't say I was an American in my introduction, but I did say where I lived, so I thought that was kind of petty.

Meanwhile, the other people stopped around 5:30 and she congratulated them. I just felt like I was being singled out for no reason.

Then at the actual one-on-one interview she apologized to me for criticizing me, which I didn't expect to hear but I was very grateful, and said I really did a great job so... we'll see. She was really nice, it's just that now my confidence is shot.

And I guess I was just nervous during the video so that worries me too. I don't actually remember how it went now, it's all sort of a blur now. Hopefully a good one ^_^ I hope we both make it to Japan in August!

I'm hoping it's true since I'm waiting for my results now. I applied in a different way though.

I do find it far-fetched, since up to that point they've not talked to you at all - only seen your writing and study results.

That's not true. There's a phone interview prior to the seminar/in-person interview.

My recruiter didn't mention the percentage of individuals who get chosen at that point, but he said videos should be about 5 minutes and up to 6 minutes. So, I don't think it's horrible that you stopped at 5, maybe it was just that recruiter's specific preference.

Oh right. I did the whole thing online through a recruiter, so my application process must've been really different. I never had a phone screening - just an interview.

Regarding the original topic, it does seem promising that on the 'Official 2011 Non-Jet Applicant List' topic, no-one mentioned being rejected. There are some who never updated though.

Somewhere... maybe... I think I'm lost... anyone got a map?

Quote Originally Posted by Kewne View Post
    Oh right. I did the whole thing online through a recruiter, so my application process must've been really different. I never had a phone screening - just an interview.

Regarding the original topic, it does seem promising that on the 'Official 2011 Non-Jet Applicant List' topic, no-one mentioned being rejected. There are some who never updated though.
    Sorry but I like raining on parades . The acceptance rate is closer to 65-80 percent depending on the season. 80 for this season.

They screen the hell out of people before you are invited to a seminar. You had a phone interview, phone screening = phone interview. Did you at any time talk and answer questions from someone on the phone during the time up to your seminar? Were you sent an email from them including an FAQ they wanted you to read before they gave you a call? If so then you had a phone interview.

You got to a seminar which is good, 80 percent acceptance is nothing to laugh at but it is not a guarantee you will go over. Your demo lesson and hard work during the process will decide in the end. Good luck.
    "I wonder how much effort is requires for a person to become happy. I think misfortune is a spiral. Once it starts it's hard to escape. In order to escape it takes everything you have to reach the end. Once you've given everything you can finally grasp it. I think that's what happiness means." Rena Ryuuguu

Quote Originally Posted by Laevatienn View Post
    Sorry but I like raining on parades . The acceptance rate is closer to 65-80 percent depending on the season. 80 for this season.
    If you don't mind me asking, where are you pulling this number from?

Somewhere... maybe... I think I'm lost... anyone got a map?

Quote Originally Posted by Junipe View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, where are you pulling this number from?
    No minding to worry about. I was an intern for Interac a little while ago so I did some paper work for them ( a lot) and I notice numbers more than most, the data was mostly consistent throughout the years. These are general numbers, obviously, but not by too much. I took the average which is why they are so well rounded. From my old contacts still working in Tokyo the numbers haven't changed much.
    "I wonder how much effort is requires for a person to become happy. I think misfortune is a spiral. Once it starts it's hard to escape. In order to escape it takes everything you have to reach the end. Once you've given everything you can finally grasp it. I think that's what happiness means." Rena Ryuuguu

Thanks for the input Laevatienn.

I'm just waiting to hear the results now. I hope it doesn't take too much longer.

I was told yesterday that I got the job with Interac so your results should come pretty soon! Good luck!

Congratulations!

I'm looking forward to my e-mail. I'm about to graduate, so I'm just wondering if I'll have to wait up to three weeks from when I send in my letter of graduation. I turned in everything else, and they said those documents weren't needed immediately from those soon-to-graduate, so I kind of think they'll be able to give me a response before I send it that's contingent on my graduation, rather than waiting until the end of next week when I can send the document and then sending the offer. Oh well, hopefully I'll have good news soon already and we'll be going to orientation/training together!

I got the job with Interac! I hope to see akanemukade at orientation!

Quote Originally Posted by cobbabygirl View Post
    I got the job with Interac! I hope to see akanemukade at orientation!
    Congratulations! Hoping I join you two there too.

When did you find out?

cobbabygirl and I went to the same seminar! Congrats girl! I can't wait to see you in Japan!

Sorry to bump this thread but my seminar is in two weeks and I've already been thinking about what I will do for my presentation. I did not want to start a new thread as this thread kind of deals with the topic at hand.

Aside from being energetic, genki, and smiley, for the "warm up" activity for elementary school kids, what did everybody else find they had to do? I am not much of a singer, so I am not sure If I can sing the numbers song without butchering it...do you think a simple activity while going through things coherently, clearly, and energetically would suffice? Also, would speaking a bit of Japanese during the lessons be a plus or a minus? (As I know some people do their entire introduction in Japanese)

Thanks.

I only needed to speak Japanese in the introduction. It's an English lesson for a reason. The most important way to get across your ideas to the "students" is to speak slowly, emphasize key words and use hand gestures.

Everybody else at my interview did head-shoulders-knees and toes, but I wanted to do something a little more creative for the warm up. I acted out phrases like "play basketball!" "eat ramen!" "talk on the phone" sort of like a Simon says-type game, and afterwards I had to students respond to my commands by acting them out when I only said the words. It seemed to be good enough.

^ Thanks for the reply and for the insight.

Congratulations on the placement and I hope to see you guys there!

I will definitely keep in mind what you have said in regards to getting your points across during your presentation.