Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Understanding your income...

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Understanding your income...

So all you noobs from here on out get the honour of actually paying taxes in Japan. WOOT. Don't mind the rest of us while we laugh at you for having to do this when we did not.

If you would like to understand how taxes are calculated in Japan, I have been handed a rather educational link:
    How Japanese Income Tax is Calculated | Nagoya International Center

which describes how Income tax is calculated. Keep in mind here is also another 10% you live here tax and then all the monies you need to pay for health/e.i/insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Default Re: Understanding your income...

Is it probably reasonable to assume that with the new money payout system, first years will be taking home approx 19man a month after taxes, health insurance, and pension?

If that`s the case, poor newbs

really? jesus, who would work for that?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

So on the basic JET salary with only the basic 380,000 allowance I'd only be paying like 90,000 income tax based on that calculator? That's piddly.... Even with an extra 10% residents' tax it makes Australia's taxes seem draconian. And Australian has quite LOW taxes compared to Europe (but higher than the US).

Are there any local taxes or anything? I know there's a 5% sales tax, but that doesn't affect income.

If it's just the income tax of about 90,000, plus a 10% tax of about 336,000 (what deductions apply to resident's tax?). That's only 426,000 off 3,360,000. Which means 2,934,000. Seems about 24.5 man per month pre insurance/ pension but you guys pay that already, right? We're basically 5man down/ month first year, half that second year and back up to current levels by 3rd.

Yeah it sucks, but JET still pays more than Interac and people survive on that.

According to the JET website, actually the reduction for first years should only be 240,000-340,000 so I must be missing something. 340,000 would only be 2.8man per month less.
    Last edited by Prospective; April 24th, 2012 at 18:19. Reason: numbers ???

Forgive me. I`m very confused. Where are you getting 38man a month in pay? I take home 257000yen after pension and health insurance are deducted.

Sorry, the 380,000 "allowance" is from the calculator in the OP. There's other deductions that can be applied to income tax so the actual numbers would be ESID. I was just calculating it based on the 380,000 base "allowance" that the page Gizmo links mentions everyone is entitled to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    Is it probably reasonable to assume that with the new money payout system, first years will be taking home approx 19man a month after taxes, health insurance, and pension?

If that`s the case, poor newbs

That's about what I took home when I worked at GEOS and it's more than enough I promise. Just takes more thought and planning.

Wait wait wait, wtf. This applies to everyone regardless of their country of citizenship?
    Last edited by TheDoctor; April 25th, 2012 at 02:22.
    Huge Omedetous.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
    Wait wait wait, wtf. This applies to everyone regardless of their country of citizenship?
    Americans will still be exempt for their first two years (i think that's how it works).
    Americans always have had to pay pension and insurance though.
    Everyone will have the pay cut though.

Yeah, that's what the 8802 form is for us Americans. So we are exempt for two years from Japanese income tax. We start paying in the third year.

Quote Originally Posted by AVNicholls View Post
    Americans will still be exempt for their first two years (i think that's how it works).
    Americans always have had to pay pension and insurance though.
    Everyone will have the pay cut though.

what pay cut? i'm out of the loop

No longer the 3.6mil per year salary?
    Last edited by TheDoctor; April 26th, 2012 at 01:29.
    Huge Omedetous.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Its not really a pay cut, as current JETs keep on the same pay, but new JETs will start lower than the 3.6 but they they stay 5 years will be closer to 4.0 at the end.

Completely new system.

Not that i was ever planning on doing JET again, but I wonder if since I did 5 years, would i start out at the low rate (most likely) or the high rate (least likely) since I would kinda be a 6th year+....
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Basically you need to be a 5 year JET to roughly break even compared to the current salary.

It's gone from 3.6mil POST-tax
    to
    1yr: 3.36mil pre-tax
    2yr: 3.6mil pre-tax
    3yr: 3.9mil pre-tax
    4+5yr: 3.96mil pre-tax

I'm not sure I understand the tax situation for Americans. Are we just paying Japanese tax, not US tax or vice versa. Or no tax. Because that last one doesn't fly with what I know about governments.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Since when does awareness of surrounding make an ALT better? Chances are if they didn't have a clue and got lost in the forest and eaten by bears on the way to work, the school would be better off and the ALT would in turn be a better ALT.

If you've worked this year, you're going to file income taxes next year. If you didn't, then you won't file income taxes next year.

So,

Scenario A: Worked this year, pay American taxes.

Scenario B: Did not work this year, tax free next year

In our second year we should not be paying any taxes at all because we were not working in the United States.

In our third year we should only pay Japanese income tax.

You don't pay Japanese tax (other than pension and such) the first 2 years. For US taxes, you still have to file, but foreign income up to $85k is exempt, so you won't owe anything on your JET income.

So... how much should first year JET Americans expect to take home per month, after the pension and insurance is taken out?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfahrenheit View Post
    He's right. JET is something you are born to do. You have to be one of the special chosen few, destined from birth to go to Japan and sit at a desk all day and be asked, "Do you like hambagaa?"

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Okay, I will write up something more detailed about how much you noobs "should" expect to see for your final paychecks. I just have to finish up figuring out some numbers first because the calculations are a bit different for you than they were for us (damn you and having non-fixed year income...)

Not anymore RL. That's what we made. They have a reduction in salary. And only American ALT's can make that, CIR's have to pay tax.
    Last edited by Gizmotech; April 26th, 2012 at 12:35.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Didn't know CIR had to pay taxes.... dayum.

Looking forward to your calculations Gizmo, I'm interested to see what 1st year ALTs will make now with the revised pay scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfahrenheit View Post
    He's right. JET is something you are born to do. You have to be one of the special chosen few, destined from birth to go to Japan and sit at a desk all day and be asked, "Do you like hambagaa?"