Thread: Single student class

Default Single student class

One of my schools only has one sixth grader (no fifth graders). Last year there was one fifth grader (same kid) and one sixth grader, so the teacher sped through Eigo Note 1 and 2. He already knows all the junk that was in those two books.

This year his teacher is actually the principal, who has never taught English, and will probably rely heavily on Hi, Friends! 2. I would like to avoid this, but I would need to come up with something more solid than `leave it to me, old dude!`

Suggestions for things to teach this class?

Default Re: Single student class

Awesome opportunity to give that kid a massive head start (for better or worse). Make a plan and pitch it to him! If that fails.... go through the text book at light speed (which will probably happen anyway) and start on some jhs stuff.

Word; the only one-student class I've ever had was a sped that I wasn't permitted to plan for. I'd be all over that sh*t; do what Eudox said. It's an awesome opportunity; the kid can benefit enormously from this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Well, yeah... my Japanese is pretty shitty though, so I can't teach grammar. Not sure I could do JHS level stuff. Like I said, I need some sort of solid plan, and this week has been a headache, so I haven't done any research, thinking about it, other excuses. I'll come up with something. He's a smart kiddo.

Edit: I appreciate the input, I will teach this kid all he needs to know to survive in California, including (but not limited to) gnarly, cool beans, and LATER DUDE.
    Last edited by dialogue; April 26th, 2012 at 17:06.

its elementary school for gods sake, you're not supposed to be teaching them grammar.

do something fun and interesting. gnarly, cool beans and later dude is a great idea. do a project on stuff in california and places he wants to visit or something.

remember the golden rule of foreign language activities class - the goal of the program is not to teach them English
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

That`s true, dumb of me to forget.