Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US Job Market

Default Re: US Job Market

I'm so glad I didn't listen to my parents when they said I should go to law school.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

lol
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Yeah it seems like nearly half my facebook friends are now finishing law school.

I sometimes get into that rut of feeling sorry for myself not being in law or med school like so many others. Then I realize I don't want to be a lawyer or doctor. And I spent 3 years learning a hell of a lot more about myself and another culture than I ever thought. And I spent a lot of that time drinking and traveling all while saving and not amassing a mountain of debt.

So yeah, by "after JET" job kind of sucks and isn't very good pay. Still don't really regret it.

There's some mixed messages being told to kids. Kids are told "go to college or you'll spend the rest of your life flipping burgers at McDonald's" from the moment they start school. Once they get out, people are telling them "take any job you can get, and be grateful for it" and wondering why new graduates aren't so keen on flipping burgers at McDonald's. It doesn't help that jobs involving manual labor or technical skills (mechanics, electricians, etc) tend to be looked down on as something lower class people do, despite the fact that people can earn a comfortable living doing them.
    100% agree.
    Modern society puts university on way too much of a pedestal. It is set out to kids like it is the only path in life that is worth anything. Its university or nothing.
    The trouble is...because it is on such a pedestal a degree is often stated as a minimum for even many terrible jobs, so often there is no choice but to go to university even though it won't bring you anything near the benefits it would have done in your parents time.

If you look to some countries in Europe you see they've got things far more right.
    They maintain a distinction between academic universities and technical schools training for jobs. Though one is "higher" than the other both are still seen as perefectly valid options for anyone to take.
    Germany also has a rather wonderful on the job training and apprenticship system.

A big problem I had with my bachellor was that I learned very little there. When it came to learning a programming language the teacher basically just said "This is the book I advise you read, next month I expect a finished program which does x and y." Just...wtf? I could do that on my own. How is this a class? And so much of the stuff we were taught,...just useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Comfortable living? HAHAHA. You mean rolling in it?

I had a friend who was a plumber + general contractor. His rough estimate (cuz he stopped caring) was about 80k/year working about 9 months of the year.
    Indeed.
    That isn't even a post-2008 thing. I remember 10 years ago it was quite a big story in the UK about how people were quitting jobs as university professors to become plumbers and the like.

I agree with most everything that's been said in this thread...

I'm going home this year and the job market has been the #1 thing making me panic. I don't have a clue what I'm going to do in my hometown. It's too small for many really good career opportunities... so I'm contemplating substitute teaching while I look for the perfect/a better job.

Of course, I'm also keeping the "move to metropolis Japan and translate" option open. God knows if I get desperate, "move to anywhere Japan and work at an eikaiwa school for $$$" is also an option >_>

If you home town is too small, there are always other places to go - does it have to be "home town or Japan"? Just throwing it out there....

Quote Originally Posted by Eudox View Post
    If you home town is too small, there are always other places to go - does it have to be "home town or Japan"? Just throwing it out there....
    That's a good point, and I don't mind looking in Atlanta or something... but if there's nothing there for me, I don't want to move to New York or California for it. It's so far from my family I might as well be back in Japan~ lol

Quote Originally Posted by Eudox View Post
    True.
    The trouble there is that living without a job is hard.
    When I was still at home my search was quite restricted to my hometown and the surrounding area since that was the only place I could afford to live (it being free due to my parents) and the only place I could afford to get to interviews.
    I suppose post-jet folks should have some savings to support themselves for a while alone in the big city but still....some people have bigger advantages than others in where they live.