Thread: Online teaching

Default Online teaching

Hello all,

I have always been interested in being able to work abroad to teach and, during my job hunting and research, came across online ESL. Because there are many more experienced individuals in this forum than I am, have any of you guys tried any form of online ESL? I am not sure about the quality of learning it provides, as even working for ALTs company do not ensure high quality learning...but is it legit?

I was going through the ELT news website when I came across a job posting for this website:

Best Teacher|On-line English Tutorial Company in Japan

Not too much information, no clear information regarding wage, etc...

Is online teaching a scam?
    Last edited by neggo; May 10th, 2012 at 07:24.

Default Re: Online teaching

It looks legit, but it's more tutoring/eikaiwa work than actual ALT work.

I've seen something like this before from a school in Hokkaido. They had a physical school though.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

I do about 50% of my tutoring online, but it's my own business. If you want to do online tutoring, I suggest you do the same. There are too many companies out there ready to rip off both tutors and students.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Best Teacher|細切れのスキマ時間でもできる英会話の #ベストティーチャー

Found their Japanese website. Maybe this will be helpful in getting more information for you.

Thanks for all the replies.

Wicket, If I wanted to get started on doing my own tutoring online, what would be some tips? (If you don't mind) Getting a clientèle would obviously be one of the main things to start off with...keeping them, as well, I imagine, would probably be another challenge.

Thanks, Anonymoose!